Notify
Tools

Nyati Chaya’ed!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Bliss! Perfect bliss!

Ahhhh? Maybe being really honest, there was more than a wee bit of concern in my mind 'cause I'm a daddy and while I was enjoying myself, my daughter was eagerly tracking the "Bill Collector", "Black Death", Syncerus caffer... the horn hooking and always unpredictable cape buffalo.

I was having a sandwich of fork-tender medallions of reedbuck and grilled onions on homemade whole wheat buns, a tossed salad of iceberg lettuce and cherry tomatoes sprinkled with fresh-ground pepper and lightly coated with raspberry vinaigrette oil. I sipped on an icy Schweppe’s Bitter Lemon in the bottle. Chilled Pineapple upside-down cake with hot custard was the dessert.

As the great P.H.’s do, Lou Hallamore had set up quite a posh lunch spread with folding furniture, a zebra-pattern table cloth, silverware, ceramic plates with leopard rosettes thereupon, linen napkins…. fine dining in the bush.

Shaded by a tall mopane tree along the Little Deka river in the Matetsi 3 concession just an hour south of Victoria Falls, we enjoyed the broad vlei with at least 100 zebra, ten or twenty roan, 50 tsessebe, a couple dozen sable and a mama and twin baby wart hogs. Lion tracks were everywhere.

Our heavenly repast was interrupted by a tinny squawk from the radio in the Cruiser nearby. And then from the speaker came the words we both waited for, “Nyati Chaya’ed!, Nyati Chaya’ed!”

I could finally exhale.

I am the most proud father of two girls. God truly blessed me.

The elder, Anna, is a writer with skills much better than mine. Reading her poetry is such an enjoyable experience that you wish you'd paid more attention in Dr. Jones' literature class your freshman year so you can catch every subtle nuance. She is a caring and compassionate woman, beautiful to look at, an honors graduate from university and now in graduate school studying mental health counseling. She has no desire to hunt and that is fine with me. We do other stuff together. Anna Banana, Queen of Savannah, Princess of all the Haiku, I’ve called her from birth.

My younger daughter, Emmy, is easy on the eye, too, bright of mind and hardworking enough to keep a 3.8 g.p.a. and scholarship to college (pre-med), kind of heart also, but she suffers from a disease imbued in my DNA and passed down to her. “In the Blood” is the name of the malady and it is pretty cool thing for a young lady to have. “Emily, Emily… There is No Facsimile!” is my affectionate rhyme for her. And it’s true. There's no other such creature in the world.

Emmy and I have always hunted together. She took her first big game animal when she was nine. On my living room table as I write this, I can see a picture of a then slightly chubby nine year-old girl posing with a wild boar that she killed a few days after passing her hunter safety course with a perfect score. She asked to take the test, I had never mentioned it. I was flattered, though. A girl hunter, maybe this would work?

As she matured, she developed the usual girl-stuff habits and patterns: boys, clothes, concerts, high school clubs and eventually a college sorority and the Georgia Bulldogs. All that, and she still asked ol’ Dad to take her hunting.

At 16 she killed a bigger buck than I have ever taken in South Georgia. As the years progressed, I found that whispering back in forth in a deer blind on a cold November morning was the best and most fun communication that we had.

To my joy and most pleasant surprise, in 2008, Emmy asked if I’d take her on a plains game safari for her graduation present from high school. I took her older sister, too (as an observer), and we all had a ball, both in the field and experiencing all the great stuff a family can do in Victoria Falls.

I’ve never tried to push Emmy into hunting. I’ve let her be the instigator, I guess, because I’m conventional enough to somewhat be in awe of a pretty girl who kills stuff and shoots one-half inch groups with her deer rifle.

May the Good Lord help the poor guy who tries to tame her.

Perhaps I’d have expected a hunter if I had a boy-child, but in a girl who likes Ferragamo shoes and pink stuff? It is always a surprise when she calls to go hunting with me. She knows I’ll be there when she wants to go, but it’s always her call. No pressure. It works for us.

Emmy joined my sweetheart, Sandy, and me in Dallas for the DSC convention this last January. For both, it was their first trip there. The ladies bonded shopping for girlie stuff which was great, since Sandy doesn’t hunt. Too, it was their first time spending lots of time together and it made me feel really good to see that my daughter and my special lady enjoyed and respected each other.

But Emmy shopped for other stuff too. My kind of stuff!

After spending Friday wandering around and talking to a dozen or so safari companies on the convention floor, Emmy asked if I’d take her to kill a buffalo. Huh?

She’d been talking primarily to the folks at HHK Safaris. God bless you Marty, Graham and Jennifer.

When I got my jaw back in place, I let her explain her reasoning. She had discovered that a cow buffalo hunt costs less than one-half that for taking a bull. If I could swing taking her for a cow, she explained, I would save enough money by her hunting the distaff side so that, with the left over bucks, she could hunt kudu, too. Smart lady.

I figured I could hunt a tuskless and both of us would do it for almost what a 10 day buffalo hunt for one usually cost. Hmmmmmmm? I think I can do this.

We sat down with Mr. Hingeston, figured out the bottom line and booked the hunt. Not bad to have a daughter that looks out for her father.

After consulting with Lou Hallamore, my friend and one of the deans of P.H.‘dom, we decided on Matetsi 3 for our safari. First it was close to Victoria Falls, and we both love the Zambesi, the awe of The Smoke That Thunders and the simple pleasure of the Booze Cruise. I also wanted to introduce Emmy to Gorges Lodge where I have my own goat (long story). There are a bunch of other activities, too, and most at a very affordable price.

My goat in the lead. That's Judge. Emmy is the baby and Judge's daughter, Anna follows. I think Anna is scheduled supper for a birthday party next month. Oh, well?

Sunrise from my room at Gorges Lodge. Not a bad way to awake up on the first morning in Zimbabwe.

At the Boma, somewhat touristy, but a Vic Falls must-do.

Boma desserts. I ate them all!

The Great Lady of African Hotels, now refurbished and looking fine.

Lunch (chicken salad sandwich) on the veranda at the Vic Falls Hotel before the hunt.

We got ready this spring. Emmy had never shot anything more than a .30/06. Nothing can be worse than fearing the rifle with which you hunt, so I did some cogitating and had Tim Ward, a quality gunsmith whose shop is in my home town, put together a .375 H&H that wouldn’t kill her with recoil.

Based on an old Whitworth Mauser action, the barrel is only 20 inches long to make it more handy for Emmy. It has a lady-like pull of 13 inches, and of course, the now famous pink camo stock. I bought a Kahles 30mm 1-4x DG scope from Jon Bieber (Biebs on AR) and put Warne QD mounts on it. It could have been lighter, but we kept total weight to a bit more than 10 pounds to keep recoil manageable. With a LimbSaver recoil pad it is a powder-puff. Emmy liked it and shot it well.

We practiced by “stalking” clay pigeons throughout the woods of my deer lease. Mainly, we used shooting sticks and a CZ 452 .22 rimfire to make it possible to "hunt" a bunch of targets without recoil being a factor.

One Saturday morning she “killed” 15 of 16 at ranges from 25 yards to 60 and missed the 16th one only about an inch. We had great fun slipping up on the deadly blaze orange disks. Dad and daughter, rifles and ATV’s, coffee and conversation. The good life!

Finally, July 19th came and we left Brunswick, Georgia headed for Zimbabwe. I’d used Delta SkyMiles for our tickets, but upgraded for 60 bucks to Economy Comfort and we found the extra space worth every penny.

Landing at JNB, we were met by the folks at Afton Guest House, were through SAPS in 15 minutes, refreshed ourselves a bit in our rooms and then took Annalise Bekker (the owner of Afton) out to supper as is my habit. God bless her, she misses her husband, but the place is thriving now that she can concentrate on the business instead of Louis’ illness.

Ain't it grand when all the luggage shows up in JNB and getting through the SAPS forms and the police are correctly accomplished!

Our stuff leaving Tambo.

The flight to Victoria Falls the next morning was seamless and Zwe, Russell Caldecott’s driver/right-hand-man (Ultimate Lodge) helped us through the process and took us to Gorges Lodge and then to the Booze Cruise. During the good libations, first rate hors d’oeuvres and the spectacular sunset, we saw hippo, elephant, crocs, bushbuck and a myriad of birds. Karibou Africa!

Looking out from the bar at Gorges Lodge.

My chalet.

African carving which supports the top of the bar.

Booze cruise pictures and close encounter with an elephant on the bank of the Zambezi.

This picture wasn't unfocused because it is a blown up telephoto. It was just me shaking.

A Zambezi on the Zambezi.

We awoke with no jet lag and went on a tour of the Falls park, me for the 10th or so time and Emmy for the second. Always a thrill.

Before.

After the spray.

Folks, there are zip lines and there are zip lines! Most have a gentle slope and you cruise over jungle or some such, but over the Zambezi, you check your reason before you push off. Damn it’s high and steep. I’ve included a picture that shows me at the bottom and discovering my tiny figure therein will be harder than finding Nemo. Old men like me need other pastimes. Emmy loved it. Ah, youth?

I could have arranged our hunts 2 on 1 and used Lou as the P.H., but I wanted Emmy to get the full experience of having her own safari without the distractions (and pressures) of having her father always looking over her shoulder. Emmy’s suggestion that she hunt a cow buffalo made it financially possible. Good girl, she. Both of us having our own P.H. may have been the best decision we made concerning the whole experience.

I had met Kevin Baisley at Chirisa a bit over a year ago. I found him to be professional, full of humor and most important, a patient gentleman. Jennifer at HHK had suggested him as Emmy’s P.H. and I eagerly agreed. He and Lou arrived at Gorges Lodge in their respective Cruisers and we were off to Matetsi right after lunchtime on the 23rd. It’s just an hour’s drive. I hate charters.

Kevin is only 6 years older than Emmy and they had much more in common than us old farts in the other vehicle. Kevin’s wife had just had their first child and Emmy, the knower-of-all-things-of-nutrition probably filled him in on the baby’s food and drink needs until she reached puberty. All done before they even reached Matetsi, I'll bet. You just have to know Emmy to understand.

Upon arrival, time came for the traditional “check your zero” shooting at the range. Emmy looked around and saw two game scouts, two P.H’s, one appy, three trackers and her daddy looking to see how she would perform. She asked that everyone quit looking at her. We all turned our backs while she drilled the one-half inch orange bull’s-eye. That’s my girl!

We had a wonderful supper, a couple of drinks (Emmy discovered Castle and Amarula) and we went to bed with lots of anticipation.

Let me tell you something. Watching your daughter drive off in a Land Cruiser to go face animals that can stomp, hook and trample and that are title-roll stars of “Death in the Long Grass” will make a daddy wonder if he has any damn sense. But if little birds never flap their wings, they’re never going to fly. I know I was nervous as only a dad can be about his daughter, but she was in good hands and doing what she chose to do. Emmy, Kevin and troupe went buffalo hunting at first light on the 24th. What had I wrought?

Even though my hunt was for a tuskless elephant, as an additional one-time good deal, I was offered a leopard if we could attract one to bait. Matetsi is infamous for having lions take over chui’s baits by climbing trees. I had that problem in 2005.

Vertically unchallenged leos aside, seven days certainly isn’t enough to reasonably expect a successful kitty quest, but we vowed to try hard. We put up four buffalo quarters and eventually had a lady on one bait and a big boy on another. (More about counting coup on a big Tom in a later post.)

We didn’t return to camp at lunch that first day and got no response over the radio when nervous Daddy inquired how Emmy and Kevin were doing. Angst city. Hopefully they were out of range or just out of the vehicle.

At dark, when we returned to the camp compound, I had a Scotch, biltong and hot roasted peanuts by the fire and imagined all sorts of stuff as to why we still couldn’t get them on the radio and why they hadn’t returned. The pinks of sunset faded to coal black. I could see the Southern Cross and no daughter back yet. Crap! I need to calm down.

About an hour after dark, I heard Kevin’s Cruiser putt into camp and decided to appear nonchalant and just stay in my chair by the fire until they unloaded and came to me with their story. That lasted about 20 seconds and I walked as quickly to Emmy’s side of the vehicle and unsuccessfully tried not look like a worried father.

Dang, what a smile I got. The stories began immediately with both Emmy and Kevin talking. At first light, they’d found where a huge herd of buffalo had crossed a road. They got on the tracks and cresting the first hill they saw what Kevin estimated to be 600 buffalo stretching up and over a couple of rises and streaming out of sight a mile to the west.

Emmy grabbed her pink Mauser, loaded up with some Swift A-Frames that Jim Sherman (JJS on Accurate Reloading) had made for her and they all set out. They kept constant visual contact with buffalo from 6:30 until noon, when, after a trek of 12 kilometers as the crow flies (according to the map that graces the dining room at Matetsi) they met their vehicle at a crossroad, had some lunch and rested a bit.

Thirty minutes and some food and water in their bellies, they were at it again and kept it up until dark, always in and amongst Nyati.

As Emmy described it with eyes shining, the huge herd was moving rapidly. They’d split and regroup. Trailing the herd were various and sundry bulls that would leave the pack and periodically return, always somehow making themselves an obstacle to getting close to the cows and calves that preceded them.

Kevin made the comment that the entire years quota for HHK’s multiple concessions could have taken from the bulls to which Emmy and he had closed within less than 60 yards. It was the best day amongst buffalo he’d had in his career. Cool! Really cool!

During the morning, a couple of bulls pushing 42” posed for them broadside. One big fellow of 44” plus just went to sleep for five minutes right in front of my daughter, but with so many buffalo everywhere, never were they presented with a shot on a calf-less cow that wouldn’t be a threat for a shoot-through and hitting something unintended.

Kevin swore he counted 36 bulls that were hard-bossed and which were 37” or better. What an experience for Emmy. Of course, another buffalo-hunting-monster was created. Move over Saeed. Emmy’s here.

Dang girl had a better day hunting buffalo on her first DG safari than I’ve had in 20. After she went to bed, I asked Kevin how she "really" did.

Good news! Emmy toted that 10 pound rifle every step of the way, never lagged a bit and never got frustrated. She was on the sticks half-a-dozen times, but knew her limits and didn’t try to rush a shot. Kevin then laughed and told me that my daughter asked if there was a bull left available on the concession and if so, she could talk her daddy into her taking it. I think if I didn’t spring for it, she’d have invaded her graduate school fund. Thank goodness for my (and her) pocketbook the quota was gone!

Emmy got to the breakfast table first that second morning, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, eager to get back in the mix and have the adrenalin flow again. Eggs over-easy, toast (homemade bread) and (finally, in Africa) well-done bacon and hot tea in her stomach and she and Kevin were off again. That’s my baby girl!

Lou and I spent the morning checking baits and found that two were hit. One, obviously, was chewed upon by a small female, but the second leopard’s sex couldn’t be determined from the tracks on the hard ground, so we put up a trail camera to check out privates (which we later found to look like tennis balls). I guess that leopard hunting is somewhat voyeuristic?

About 11:00 a.m. in the fifth or so group of cows and calf elephant we spotted, we discovered a tuskless (and calfless) elephant climbing up a hill about a mile across a valley.

We bailed out, loaded up and semi-jogged about a mile to the crest. Alas, we saw them headed for the border of Botswana at a good clip and still a mile away. Back to the vehicle with a fine sheen of earned sweat and off to check baits 3 and 4.

We stopped on the way for lunch and that’s when we finally heard Kevin’s voice on the radio.
“Nyati chaya’ed! Nyati chay’ed” That, of course is bastardized, P.H. Ndebele speak for “Buffalo shot! Buffalo shot!”

For a moment, I couldn’t move, much less say anything. I’m sitting down to a amazing meal with animals all around me, deep in the bush of Zimbabwe with as good a friend as I have, Lou. I’ve got leopards on baits, just chased an elephant 20 minutes earlier, have a perfect and beautiful girlfriend at home, my health is good, a buck or two in the bank, a daughter just admitted to grad school, firm faith in my God and my baby girl just honored me by doing what I love best. I am blessed and life is good. Very, very good.

I went to the radio and tried to say congratulations to Emmy. Words wouldn’t come out. I let Lou give the kudos and I just sat back down. Apparently, Emmy was like me in that she was a bit emotional and needed some time to digest what had transpired before she talked with me about it.

I thought I knew my daughter. I expected Kevin and Emmy to get back to camp and take the rest of the afternoon off and bask in the success a bit.

I said I created a monster. I was right.

I got Lou to get me back a bit before dark so I could enjoy the stories, etc., but when we got there, dad-gummit if Emmy wasn’t out hunting plains game. She’d not even taken a deep breath, had a sandwich and was off to get a kudu if she could find one better than her minimum of 50 inches.

Finally, finally… white-haired ol’ Dad got to hear the story over a Scotch and the mopane smoke at the fire that evening.

At first light, Emmy and Kevin got into the same herd again and found them headed for Hwange Park. After following them for several hours, they returned to the Cruiser and drove around to the border road to cut them off. A bit late, about half of the 600 or so were already streaming across the boundary, but there was still a quarter-mile of buffalo to come, now divided into three groups.

Kevin sent one tracker north and one south to try to funnel the animals toward him and Emmy in the middle. They then went down a hill far enough off the border to be legal and set up in a slight enfilade to ambush a proper cow as the dozens and dozens of bovines moved past their hasty redoubt.

Forty, fifty, a hundred buffalo filed past and then, at 50 yards, an ancient cow, without a calf anywhere around, stopped and stared at the hunters.

Already on the sticks, Emmy took a deep breath, let half of it out and squeezed.
At the shot the old lady staggered and bucked once, front legs almost touching the rear, stumbled 15 yards and smashed into the ground.

Emmy worked the bolt and put another (and unnecessary) A-Frame just in front of the hip and quartering into the far shoulder. The first, a perfect heart shot. The second was found mushroomed advertisement-ready under the skin outside a now-broken shoulder blade.

That’s my little girl who will be the prettiest debutante at the Cotillion this Thanksgiving. A scholar, a beauty and a buffalo hunter. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Keeping with the program, the next morning, Emmy made a perfect shot on a 55” kudu and on the last day killed a 5”+ duiker, of course both with one shot.

We’ve got them and the buffalo all on video, too. Can’t wait for that to be edited and delivered sometime in September.

As for me, all the rest was almost an anti-climax even though there was lots of excitement. I made a good side-brain shot on a huge Matetsi tuskless cow elephant and got to see the shine of a pissed-off leopard’s eye at 8 feet, but I’ll write about that later. My Elephant Hunt

This was Emmy’s trip and I humbly thank God for just being able to tag along.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7611 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'd be proud too. Bravo.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Congrats to you both and welcome home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Judge, thanks, as usual the perfect hunt report. I will have my nine year old daughter read this tonight for inspiration.

Congrats to Emmy for her great dangerous game safari; that's a fantastic kudu!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Woo Hooo!

~Ann

Posts: 19297 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
It just doesn't get much better than that. Look forward to the rest of your musings. Again, Congratulations to you and Emmy.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well written Ernest! Well done Emmy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7543 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Huge COngrats!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Judge: What a Great report. Congratulations! So happy for you and your daughter. Has it already been almost a year since we were at Russell's place??? Unbelievable!!
I will go again with my daughter and grandaughter next April in Bots.
Hey.....whats the rest of that report with Matetsi 2?? I had heard some rumblings, but apparently things have come to a quick "turn around"......what is the drift you got?
Again, great report and congratulations.

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both. You made memories for a life time!!! Can't wait to hear what's next for Emmy!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the post and the pics

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Krister
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you. And what a great report.

Posts: 35 | Location: SWEDEN | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. I am 13 months out from hunting the same place. Hopefully the animals will have recovered and replacement beer will be brewed by then.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Emily, huntress with No Facsimile!

By the way Judge, that zip line is unbelievable. That took some guts.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both. You and Emily have done yourselves (and one another) proud.
I always enjoy your stories.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Congratulations. A great report and photos. Nothing like haveing a child grow up to share our interests and passions! Makes us feel a bit immortal.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Judge! What a great trip, and with your daughter. I sent all the pics to Itzel...now I'm going to pay. She likes that damn zip line. Eeker

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nice story. Thanks for sharing and with all due respect you are correct. She is pleasing to the eyes. tu2

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7612 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Judge Congratulations to you both.
Emmy that smile says it all.
Wonderfull memories for both of you

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a fabulous hunt. Congratulations to both you and Emmy.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
That is stellar Judge! Congrats to your girl. She is a looker - must take after her mother.
All in good fun. Seriously though, congratulations to you both. Well done.

Cheers,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter and you on a great safari. I still remember the few hunts that I did with my father as if it were yesterday.

Posts: 2558 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos and story! And a BIG congrats to Emmy and all involved.

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Congrats Judge and Emmy well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 677 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Great report Judge, thanks!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both!

Precisiou times, for both of you, i am sure

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report-well written and expresses the fun you had. Guys, you don't suppose the Judge is proud of his daughters, do you? I still remember when my daughter shot her first buck at age 11. Memories...

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 986 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great story Judge! I would say whatever guy is fortunate enough to capture your daughter's attention makes an attempt to tame her, well... he'd be a very foolish person.

Congratulations to Emmy and the memories you two will have to last a lifetime!

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic story Judge and you are right your daughter is a hunting hotty tu2Boy are you introuble when you next trip to Africa comes up I bet Emmy has it all planned out now Big Grin very cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Judge, you are truly blessed.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Bravo! Couldn't talk my old man into coming along to Zim w/ me later this month. Hopefully I'll have offspring that will tag along... and then include me in the fun after I'm done footing the bill.

Well done and thanks for the report!

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
REALLY enjoyed the report, Judge. Congratulations to both you and Emmy.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great KuDu, Great report and pictures. As the credit card commercial sez, PRICELESS.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job there by the young lady.

You've got to be the "Proud Papa"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be the first here to say that I thank god that she obviously inherited her mothers good looks and her fathers fighter pilot situational awareness and brains.

Quite the combination there judge you should be very very proud of that young lady.

I am also the proud father of two young huntresses! Good job Ernest!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report and congratulations to Emily! I can raelly identify with you....I just picked up my 15 year old girl from her first full dressed up party with other girls ....and she also loves to hunt. She accompanies me while I shot a fallow doe with my 1903 Mannilcher & peep sights. She has hunted bunnies and feral goats. Now she want me to take her deer hunting!

Thanks for the great report.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11024 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and thanks for sharing.
There seeemed to be a bit of a" food" theme running through the thread, - should that tell us something ?

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Emily and Ernest. What an inspiring read.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote