New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd Safari Destination?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have hunted RSA twice and want to go back to Africa for a third hunt. I do not want another "ranch" hunt. Any recommendations for a destination?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard,

You can do it two ways: go to Namibia, either to someone who has a concession for dangerous game in the Caprivi Strip; or to a serious ranch of more than 50,000 acres. In the latter, 'tho, you'd still be at a lodge rather than in tents if that's the experience you seek.

Or you can go to Zambia or Tan$ania and book into one of theZAambian Game Management Areas for more of the African experience. Tanzania is too expensive IMHO.

You can also find such a wild experience in Matetsi or other parts of Zimbabwe, but I'm not game to put any money in Mugabe crony hands or even foreign exchange in the banks that he and his people use as feeding troughs...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard,

Are you looking for another plains game hunt but on a nonfenced area or are you more interested in moving up to buffalo etc????

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
What about Mozambique?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What do you want to hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to mark about duploys in zambia

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure on your budget or game preferences, but why not look at Central or Western Africa? Either of these regions would be quite a departure from you previous hunts in RSA.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
I have hunted RSA twice and want to go back to Africa for a third hunt. I do not want another "ranch" hunt. Any recommendations for a destination?

I recomend holding out for a DG hunt in the Selous. Yes the $$ are big, but the experience is unbelievable. Do your research, check and double check the outfitter, get references and listen carefully to what is said and what is not said.

There is nothing like quite like the sounds of the lion in the african night. I thought it was just across the river but the PH said a mile or so away. I actually had an elephant stand 5 feet from my tent at 3AM. All this after a dinner of buffalo I shot earlier in the day. SA? Don't think so Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, lots of info to mull over. I am sure I will be back with questions.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather then specify a location I'll suggest a type of hunt. If possible you should look for a tented buffalo hunt. You should look for true bush with little or no resident population.
The Okavango delta of Botswana,Tanzania, some parts of Zim. All of these would work.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest one of our tented Safaris in Tanzania as the best bet...I have hunts in every country but Tanzania is my favorite. It is the last of the real safaris IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
Rather then specify a location I'll suggest a type of hunt. If possible you should look for a tented buffalo hunt. You should look for true bush with little or no resident population.
The Okavango delta of Botswana,Tanzania, some parts of Zim. All of these would work.

Terry you nailed it. I am looking more for the type of hunt and the experience rather then specific animals.

A tented safari with the big five around to be seen and/or heard.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that you have clarified what you are looking for, I'd suggest that you spend some time searching the hunt reports forum. There are lots of people here who have gone exactly the hunt that you are looking for.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
A tented safari with the big five around to be seen and/or heard.
...and a river. It makes for a wonderful camp environment, lots of sounds and excitement at night, good fishing opportunities, spetacular sunsets/sunrises, and typically offers a high concentration of game and "life" especially later in the season. I've hunted along the Luangwa, Zambezi, Faro, Kilombero, Turgwe and Kwando, and overall regardless of the game I was after or the outfit I was hunting with, these have been my most enjoyable hunts.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote