Find
Notify
Tools

African Lion Hunting!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Saeed -- everything we hunt is confined in some way, by the ocean if nothing else. Hunting steenbok on a 5000 acre high fenced place should seem the same as hunting one on a tribal concession.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
African Lion Hunting!!

Fact is, "baiting" a wild lion is much like hunting mtn lion with dogs. The "hunt" is the essence of what you are trying to accomplish, not shooting the lion at a bait - 60 yards away. To finally convince a big male lion to first find your bait, come to your bait, and return to your bait during daylight hours is the hunt - not the killing of the lion. Then to assure he's old enough, he's without dependent cubs, etc, is another game all together.

Wonderful post Aaron - thanks from someone who has not and very likely never will get to hunt wild lions in Africa (though I'm hopeful that a mountain lion hunt is in my future!).

Two things about this statement.

First, antis will wonder why then, it's not adequate to expend all the effort described above and then click a nice picture and jet back to your cushy office in the states. I understand the kill, many do not and will pose the question.

Second, I think this statement gets to the heart of Randall's argument too. I once had a TX deer lease, where many of the deer were shot from stands overlooking feeders. When I first shot a deer like this, I wasn't terribly excited. Sure, it worked, I got a deer and put some great meat int the freezer. It wasn't until I had been a member for several years and had worked the land, cleared shooting lanes, set feeders, built stands and blinds, mowed mesquite to improve range conditions, in short came to understand the game and the land, that I truly appreciated the TX deer hunt experience. The "Hunt" is in the preparation. Perhaps that is why Randall appreciates it so - he does all that work. The hunter who shows up, shoots a deer from a blind, and leaves, is missing out on 90% of the baited/blind hunt.

Incidentally, in my several years associated with that lease, I don't recall a big buck getting shot at a feeders. Nearby, sure, but our bigger bucks were usually seen and shot in natural or man-made clearings that could be observed from a permanent or temporary blind. The big guys didn't stand around and eat tasty corn.

WHY THE KILL??? That's a question asked for decades by antis....it'll never change. Explaining why "we" kill to someone who has no conception of it is pointless IMO....they'll never get it. I kill because I have a deep-seeded instinct to "hunt / kill", and other personal reasons why I do it. I'm sure we all have our reasons. Your point isn't invalid...I just think the reasons why are so dis-connected between the two parties that any explanation falls on deaf ears.

My point is valid, since it's the same one you just made. You and I understand our own human predatory nature, we know why we hunt and kill. I wasn't asking the question since I get it. I was simply pointing out that your argument in favor of the hunt will never be met with understanding from the antis - just what you said. I'm not arguing with you, just recognizing the chink in your otherwise well put together armor.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
African Lion Hunting!!

Fact is, "baiting" a wild lion is much like hunting mtn lion with dogs. The "hunt" is the essence of what you are trying to accomplish, not shooting the lion at a bait - 60 yards away. To finally convince a big male lion to first find your bait, come to your bait, and return to your bait during daylight hours is the hunt - not the killing of the lion. Then to assure he's old enough, he's without dependent cubs, etc, is another game all together.

Wonderful post Aaron - thanks from someone who has not and very likely never will get to hunt wild lions in Africa (though I'm hopeful that a mountain lion hunt is in my future!).

Two things about this statement.

First, antis will wonder why then, it's not adequate to expend all the effort described above and then click a nice picture and jet back to your cushy office in the states. I understand the kill, many do not and will pose the question.

Second, I think this statement gets to the heart of Randall's argument too. I once had a TX deer lease, where many of the deer were shot from stands overlooking feeders. When I first shot a deer like this, I wasn't terribly excited. Sure, it worked, I got a deer and put some great meat int the freezer. It wasn't until I had been a member for several years and had worked the land, cleared shooting lanes, set feeders, built stands and blinds, mowed mesquite to improve range conditions, in short came to understand the game and the land, that I truly appreciated the TX deer hunt experience. The "Hunt" is in the preparation. Perhaps that is why Randall appreciates it so - he does all that work. The hunter who shows up, shoots a deer from a blind, and leaves, is missing out on 90% of the baited/blind hunt.

Incidentally, in my several years associated with that lease, I don't recall a big buck getting shot at a feeders. Nearby, sure, but our bigger bucks were usually seen and shot in natural or man-made clearings that could be observed from a permanent or temporary blind. The big guys didn't stand around and eat tasty corn.

WHY THE KILL??? That's a question asked for decades by antis....it'll never change. Explaining why "we" kill to someone who has no conception of it is pointless IMO....they'll never get it. I kill because I have a deep-seeded instinct to "hunt / kill", and other personal reasons why I do it. I'm sure we all have our reasons. Your point isn't invalid...I just think the reasons why are so dis-connected between the two parties that any explanation falls on deaf ears.

My point is valid, since it's the same one you just made. You and I understand our own human predatory nature, we know why we hunt and kill. I wasn't asking the question since I get it. I was simply pointing out that your argument in favor of the hunt will never be met with understanding from the antis - just what you said. I'm not arguing with you, just recognizing the chink in your otherwise well put together armor.

Yes....I agree your point is totally valid. That's what I said in my post.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I overlooked the "n't" preceding "invalid" in your initial post.

We're making quite a choir with our preaching! Smiler

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Good write up Aaron

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who equates hunting lion over bait with deer at a feeder is delusional and talking out their ass. Yes, Randall, how many lion hunts have you booked? Until you've done it...it ain't done. Me thinks you don't get it.

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I get Randall's point. As hunters we should not pass judgement on anyone's hunting choice as long as it is legal. No doubt hunting a lion over bait is much more challenging than hunting a deer over bait. Predator's senses are much more refined. As a hunter I will support your choice to hunt in any legal manner. I want to go helicopter hunting for wild hogs in Texas. That is just shooting, but looks like a lot of fun. I know if i do that, I didn't outsmart anything. But, I still had a lot of fun

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is all to do with “do as I say, not as I do”!

I am starting this with the comment Saeed made earlier in thisc "Discussion" and I am going to do my best to clear up a few misconceptions some of you folks have concerning my comments.

While shooting a deer over a bait is NOT the same as shooting a Lion over a bait, that is only in the mind/belief of the hunter. I have shot a bear over a bait and to myself there was a big difference in having a large predator looking up toward me in that stand than either a deer or feral hog, but for those wanting to take hunting from us, There IS NO fundamental difference!

As a human being, the Ultimate Predatorv on this Planet, we are stacking the odds in our favor of making a kill and THAT is all the anti's understand.

As I stated earlier in this conversation, the first 20 years of my deer hunting career, all my deer were killed by spot and stalk. Even with my mobility problems at my age I still wish that I could hunt that way, but few if ANY Texas Landowners want or will allow hunters to wander around on their properties due to liability issues.

That I can no longer hunt in the manner I most enjoy here in my home state, is why I have made several trips to western Colorado to hunt Elk/Mule Deer and Pronghorn. It is why I made two hunts to Canada, one to Newfoundland successfully hunting Moose and Woodland Caribou on the first and successfully hunting Musk Ox and Barren Ground Caribou out of Cambridge Bay, and NONE of those animals were shot from a stand or over a bait!

The thing some of you really do not understand, is that the fraternity that hunts in Africa, and especioally those that hunt lion and elephant, REALISTICALLY is not numerous enough in this day and time and to me belittling anyone that is willing to support your ability to keep doing those type hunts is really counterproductive in the overall scheme of things.

I do not want to see any hunter, any where lose the ability to hunt the species they enjoy hunting or lose the ability to hunt those species in the manners they chose as long as it is LEGAL.

But, I will damn sure NOT support any hunter that sets themselves up as the Judge of other hunters, placing themselves as elitists that view themselves as being superior to those hunters that don't subscribe to a arbitrary set of ethics/beliefs that they feel are the mark of a "Real" hunter.

I do not have a chip of anykind on either of my shoulders toward anyone, either though IO have never been myself, I do not want to see those that do enjoy hunting Africa, regardless of the species of their choice lose that ability because when/if that happens it just puts losing the ability to hunt here in America that much cl;oser to being a reality.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
It is all to do with “do as I say, not as I do”!

I am starting this with the comment Saeed made earlier in thisc "Discussion" and I am going to do my best to clear up a few misconceptions some of you folks have concerning my comments.

While shooting a deer over a bait is NOT the same as shooting a Lion over a bait, that is only in the mind/belief of the hunter. I have shot a bear over a bait and to myself there was a big difference in having a large predator looking up toward me in that stand than either a deer or feral hog, but for those wanting to take hunting from us, There IS NO fundamental difference!

As a human being, the Ultimate Predatorv on this Planet, we are stacking the odds in our favor of making a kill and THAT is all the anti's understand.

As I stated earlier in this conversation, the first 20 years of my deer hunting career, all my deer were killed by spot and stalk. Even with my mobility problems at my age I still wish that I could hunt that way, but few if ANY Texas Landowners want or will allow hunters to wander around on their properties due to liability issues.

That I can no longer hunt in the manner I most enjoy here in my home state, is why I have made several trips to western Colorado to hunt Elk/Mule Deer and Pronghorn. It is why I made two hunts to Canada, one to Newfoundland successfully hunting Moose and Woodland Caribou on the first and successfully hunting Musk Ox and Barren Ground Caribou out of Cambridge Bay, and NONE of those animals were shot from a stand or over a bait!

The thing some of you really do not understand, is that the fraternity that hunts in Africa, and especioally those that hunt lion and elephant, REALISTICALLY is not numerous enough in this day and time and to me belittling anyone that is willing to support your ability to keep doing those type hunts is really counterproductive in the overall scheme of things.

I do not want to see any hunter, any where lose the ability to hunt the species they enjoy hunting or lose the ability to hunt those species in the manners they chose as long as it is LEGAL.

But, I will damn sure NOT support any hunter that sets themselves up as the Judge of other hunters, placing themselves as elitists that view themselves as being superior to those hunters that don't subscribe to a arbitrary set of ethics/beliefs that they feel are the mark of a "Real" hunter.

I do not have a chip of anykind on either of my shoulders toward anyone, either though IO have never been myself, I do not want to see those that do enjoy hunting Africa, regardless of the species of their choice lose that ability because when/if that happens it just puts losing the ability to hunt here in America that much cl;oser to being a reality.

The difference between deer over bait and lion is not just in the mind of the hunter. I have tried to explain it, and you do not want to grasp the difference.

What is really taxing from my point of view is you have stated you do not support these practices ( but you never did watch Trophy). Yet, continue to defend them.

I have no issue with helicoptering pigs as long as it is billed as eradication or culling of a undesirable animal and not hunting. I have a huge problem with Pig Man and Yed Nugget doing a promo for a show on helicoptering pigs and Ted Nugget look right into the camera in a condenseding voice, “That is not fair chase, F you!”Yes folks, that commercial aired.

He did not edit himself. His little stooge Pig Man standing there with that stupid mouth open grin bobbing his head in agreement.

What a wasted opportunity to educate on the distinction between fair chase hunting and the need for culling/eradication. Nope, just stupid vulgarity from “leaders”of the hunting community.

Nugget is a NRA Director and Pigman is Sportman Channel rating maker with all the good sponsors.

What has become legal, is to pander to money and awards ethics, habbitat conservation, and sustainability
be damned.

You want to be a hunter do not participate in canned kill mills. Do not support those that do.

You have not rebutted that deer farming has allowed the CWD wildfire. These mass game farming practices are detrimental to hunters, wild life, and habbitat.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have not rebutted that deer farming has allowed the CWD wildfire. These mass game farming practices are detrimental to hunters, wild life, and habbitat.

Maybe you should do a little more in depth research into CWD.

From all accounts I have read the disease started on a Federal Reseach area in Colorado and because of funding cuts, dfeer held at that facility had begun having increasing mortalities from an unknown vector, but when the funding was cut, instead of destroying the captive animals, the fence was cut and the animals along with whatever was causing the deaths in the enclosures were released into the wild.

If I remember correctly, that took p[lace around Forty Col;lins Colorado and that ios wherte the FIRST cases of CWD were identified and there WERE NO "Canned Deer Hunting" operations in that area.

Once again you are proving the validity of Saeeds comment: It is all to do with “do as I say, not as I do”!

One has to open their minds and eyes to comprehend that just because they are passionate about something, that does not negate the fact that just because another person does not share that passion, that does not automatically make them the Enemy.

Hunters/Hunting has more than enough enemies in this day and time and I can not see how hunters openly alienating each other will help our cause in the long run.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the list of States banning farmed updeer urine as an attractant grows.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Guess I better stock then, just in case!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The difference between deer over bait and lion is not just in the mind of the hunter. I have tried to explain it, and you do not want to grasp the difference.

One weighs in at about 500lb and is an apex predator with canines as long as your thumb. It has been known to kill people with a single bite and often associated with man eating.

The other nibbles on corn.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a hunter, I understand that.

But get it into your heads folks, The People That Want To Stop Hunting DO NOT Care That There Is A Difference.

All the anti's all the Non-Hunters and even some hunters see, is that a group of elitists are blinding themselves to the Fact that in the Normal World "Baiting", REGARDLESS the species involved, is still "BAITING".

As I have stated numerous times as long as it is LEGAL and the hunter involved has no problems with the method, I Fully Support It.

Severasl of you Gentleman cannot say the same, you are blinding yourselves to the FACT you are calling for ALL High Fence hunting of ANY KIND stopped, regardless of species, while at the same time expecting other hunters to support you ability to continue hunting lions over bait.

That seems pretty unrealistic, especially when more hunters in America hunt deer on Opening Day of season, both over feeders and behind high fences than all the Americans that have hunted Lion in Africa in the past 5 years maybe longer.

Why is it you folks believe alienating all those fellow hunters instead of trying to get their support is in your best interest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the list of States banning farmed updeer urine as an attractant grows.

A. Prove it.

B. Nobody cares.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska, Virginia, Vermont, Arizona, Novia Scotia, Onterio,New York is considering it. Pennsylvania has debated banning.

You should care. The fact you do not strips any creditablity you have left.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
LHeym500, just a word of caution . . .

I am guilty of falling into the same trap myself occasionally.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not care whether you believe I am credible or not, since it is possible I have been hunting longer than you have been alive!

As for the Deer Urine kerfuffle, I have never talked to anyone that could actually prove that it worked.

It is immaterial that states are banning doe pee, because if an actual hunter gets out in the field during rut and finds a good trail there will be enough doe piss out there naturally that they won't need to bring some.

Getting back to the Actual issue of this discussion, Lion Hunting and Public perceptions concerning its effect on the species.

For those that enjoy hunting lions, live to hunt lions, that is their prerogative and as I have said multiple times now, if the means/methodsd they are using are LEGAL and they are COMFORTABLE do[ing so, I support them, No Problem.

The problem arises when a specific group of ELITISTS sets up their own little Pious Kangaeroo Court, declaring that Anyone/Everyone that DOES NOT abide by their self-generated Rules Of Engagement are not worthy of being called Hunters, and that is WRONG in many peoples books.

ALL hunters have to learn how to get along and support each other and stop finding reasons to form lines of division that only weaken the group at large.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Saeed -- everything we hunt is confined in some way, by the ocean if nothing else. Hunting steenbok on a 5000 acre high fenced place should seem the same as hunting one on a tribal concession.

Actually, there is a big difference when hunting any high fenced area; I saw it a few years ago in Namibia. The first time I hunted that property there were gemsbok all over the place; thousands it seemed like. The second time was during the drought - there were very few gemsbok around because they left to go up up high where there was grass.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC - This is not meant as any kind of argument, but I'll tell you the simple difference between baiting deer in a fence, and baiting wild cats - its really pretty simple.

Deer Feeders are generally placed to consistently condition the deer to come to one specific place over and over again. The feeder is often there for months / even all year in many cases. The feeder is re-filled on a weekly basis (depending on size of course) and the deer are most certainly within the confines of the fence. Corn for example, can easily / cheaply be purchased at the local feed store, and over-time the deer absolutely KNOW they can come to that specific spot when the feeder sounds - for their daily feeding. Even if the place is "low-fence" the deer over time know they can ALWAYS come to that place for food. I've seen it in TX, just as you have.

Baiting wild cats is totally different! Firstly, the area can as I described be 250,000 - 1 million acres of totally wild country. Pre-baiting is often not legal, and certainly baiting a lion / area for months prior is not only illegal - but most definitely not possible. So first off, the PH better know the area / and hopefully some likely places to bait where you hope lions might frequent....once you arrive. Secondly, you must acquire bait (thus why I have shot so many hippos for example) this is both time consuming and not cheap. Then, you spend a couple of days placing baits in strategic places where you hope the lion will encounter it - all while the clock is ticking on your 21 day safari. Now, depending on time of year - your bait might last from 3 - 10 days.....if by that time no big / mature / male lions have found it, you have to repeat the process at great expense / time. And wait, what if a big male does find your bait - did he eat it all, will he return, etc, etc. Now a bunch of additional work / baiting / expense could ensue. I once had to shoot 4 giraffes on one single safari - just to keep the baits replenished from all the damn lioness' and young males feeding that I thought I was going to go broke before I got my lion!

Often times the lion knows something isn't right, he knows he didn't kill this animal, and he certainly knows when a vehicle rocks up to check the bait. Getting an apex predator to return to the bait site during daylight hours, on a bait he just discovered 2 days ago - is a difficult proposition at best.

The differences are so numerous and so massive, that its hard to understand unless you've done it yourself....its just that simple.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The differences are so numerous and so massive, that its hard to understand unless you've done it yourself....its just that simple.

Mr. Neilson, the concept you/Fairgame/L.Heym and others are missing, is that as a HUNTER myself, I understand the difference.

I am not the enemy or the problem!

Getting youtrself and your friends to understand that to hunters that have never hunted Lions, non-hunters who have No Real knowledge of hunting techniques and perople that have no opinmiopn one way or another concerning hunting of any kind, and I am purposely NOT including anti-hunters in the mix because their minds are already made up, but the word "BAITING" has only two basic definitions for the average person to deal with.

Baiting

1. to deliberately annoy or taunt (someone).
"the other boys reveled in baiting him about his love of literature"

synonyms: taunt, tease, goad, pick on, torment, persecute, plague, harry, bother, harass, hound; informal-needle

"he was baited at school"

torment (a trapped or restrained animal), especially by allowing dogs to attack it.

But for the MAJORITY of humans when the term/word Baiting is used in connection with hunting or fishing, this is definition that comes to mind.

2. prepare (a hook, trap, net, or fishing area) with bait to entice fish or animals as prey. "she baited a trap with carrots and corn"

I am aware that there is a difference, But, I Am NOT one of the folks wanting to see Lion Hunting Stopped.

Which is more important to you, have other hunters support, even from those that never had an interest in hiunting lions in any manner or alienate hunters because they do not live up to your High Standards of conduct.

See, the concept is, I am NOT attacking anyone hunting lions over bait, I am trying to understand WHY it is so much more ethical/acceptable to hunt lions over a bait and anyone shooting deer over a bait should not even contemplate referring to themselves as a hunter.

Can you give an answer to that?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Aaron, they say that the best thing about beating your head against a wall is that it feels so good when you stop.

[Don't ask me how I know!]

Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remember such attitudes when the time comes that you folks will be asking for support from the rest of the Hunting Community.

If you don't get it, just remember that just because another hunter does not agree with your beliefs, that does not mean that they want other hunters to lose the ability to hunt the species they enjoy hunting or in the manner they choose.

Evidently I am too stupid to understand WHY, as long as what the hunter is doing is LEGAL in the eyes of the Authorities, that is NOT good enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mr. Neilson, the concept you/Fairgame/L.Heym and others are missing, is that as a HUNTER myself, I understand the difference.

I am not the enemy or the problem!

Getting youtrself and your friends to understand that to hunters that have never hunted Lions, non-hunters who have No Real knowledge of hunting techniques and perople that have no opinmiopn one way or another concerning hunting of any kind, and I am purposely NOT including anti-hunters in the mix because their minds are already made up, but the word "BAITING" has only two basic definitions for the average person to deal with.

Baiting

1. to deliberately annoy or taunt (someone).
"the other boys reveled in baiting him about his love of literature"

synonyms: taunt, tease, goad, pick on, torment, persecute, plague, harry, bother, harass, hound; informal-needle

"he was baited at school"

torment (a trapped or restrained animal), especially by allowing dogs to attack it.

But for the MAJORITY of humans when the term/word Baiting is used in connection with hunting or fishing, this is definition that comes to mind.

2. prepare (a hook, trap, net, or fishing area) with bait to entice fish or animals as prey. "she baited a trap with carrots and corn"

I am aware that there is a difference, But, I Am NOT one of the folks wanting to see Lion Hunting Stopped.

Which is more important to you, have other hunters support, even from those that never had an interest in hiunting lions in any manner or alienate hunters because they do not live up to your High Standards of conduct.

See, the concept is, I am NOT attacking anyone hunting lions over bait, I am trying to understand WHY it is so much more ethical/acceptable to hunt lions over a bait and anyone shooting deer over a bait should not even contemplate referring to themselves as a hunter.

Can you give an answer to that?

Silly me....I should have known you "understand" the difference, even though you have never DONE it once in your life. My fault!faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Evidently I am too stupid to understand.

From your lips to God's ear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir, just because I have not actually done something, does not indicate that I am ignorant of the process.

At my age, I have read more than enough articles over the years by ,many hunters that did hunt lions and they described ion quite good detail the parameters and feelings of getting prepared to actually shoot a lion, whether over a bait or by stalking and ev en though ther only predator I have ever shot over a bait was a bear, I understand some of what the difference is in looking at a bait and there is a Predator staring back at you, one quite capable of severly injuring or killing the hunter and watching a deer feeding at the bait.

I reme,mber quite well the feelings I had cliombing out of thast stand not knowing whether that bear was dead or simply waiting for me and I did not have anyone there to back me up in case the bear came after me!

You still do not get it, and never will until you lose the ability to hunt lions in any manner.

I will take it that you believe it is more beneficial to alienate people instead of trying to gain support.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse: My response to your inquiry and Aaron Neilson’s are almost identical. I have never hunted lion. I read, listen, and think critically.

You asked for an articulation of a distinction. You have been provide distinctions. Days later you tell us you in fact understood. That does not make any sense.

Oh, non hunters and hunters can understand these distinctions.

As I said in my first response. Do with this knowledge what you will.

It seems you are hell bent on refusing knowledge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym, I understood the difference between baiting for predators versus baiting for deer before I posted my first response.

When did I say in any of my responses that I wanted baiting for Lions stopped? Can you or any of the other participants point that out.

Now, how many of your group have openly stated in this discussion, that shooting deer over bait should be outlawed?

You accused me of supporting High Fence hunting. I do support the method because it is LEGAL. The only time I have hunted inside a high fence has been for Axis does and on drawn hunts on Texas Parks and Wildlife Management/Research areas.

The reason I have never hunted Greater Kudu or Oryx or Eland here in Texas is because it is not the same as hunting Free Ranging Wild specimens in Africa, on several levels.

You and your cronies keep missing the point, you want a form of hunting you do not agree with, even though it is LEGAL in many locations, stopped.

I do not know of one hunter that wants to see other hunters lose the ability to hunt any species that is Legal to hunt or in a manner that is Legal other than you and some of the other responders on this topic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then why ask, why argue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Crazyhorse: My response to your inquiry and Aaron Neilson’s are almost identical. I have never hunted lion. I read, listen, and think critically.

You asked for an articulation of a distinction. You have been provide distinctions. Days later you tell us you in fact understood. That does not make any sense.

Oh, non hunters and hunters can understand these distinctions.

As I said in my first response. Do with this knowledge what you will.

It seems you are hell bent on refusing knowledge.

Exactly! Experience is knowledge....knowledge is power.

There's a reason I never comment about Tarpon Fishing for example....cause I have never done it. Sure, I've been fishing plenty of times - but I have never been tarpon fishing. I've flown on airplanes a ton of times too - but never on the space shuttle....thus I don't comment on space shuttle flights either.

Some people just know everything....I only know what I have experienced, but that's just me.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You were born an experienced lion hunter?

Or did you become interested in it thru reading about/talking with those that had actual exploits/experiences of those hunting/killing lions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heym, I understood the difference between baiting for predators versus baiting for deer before I posted my first response.

When did I say in any of my responses that I wanted baiting for Lions stopped? Can you or any of the other participants point that out.

Now, how many of your group have openly stated in this discussion, that shooting deer over bait should be outlawed?

You accused me of supporting High Fence hunting. I do support the method because it is LEGAL. The only time I have hunted inside a high fence has been for Axis does and on drawn hunts on Texas Parks and Wildlife Management/Research areas.

The reason I have never hunted Greater Kudu or Oryx or Eland here in Texas is because it is not the same as hunting Free Ranging Wild specimens in Africa, on several levels.

You and your cronies keep missing the point, you want a form of hunting you do not agree with, even though it is LEGAL in many locations, stopped.

I do not know of one hunter that wants to see other hunters lose the ability to hunt any species that is Legal to hunt or in a manner that is Legal other than you and some of the other responders on this topic.

Crazy,
Legal does not it right. You miss the point of ethics entirely....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember such attitudes when the time comes that you folks will be asking for support from the rest of the Hunting Community.

If you don't get it, just remember that just because another hunter does not agree with your beliefs, that does not mean that they want other hunters to lose the ability to hunt the species they enjoy hunting or in the manner they choose.

Evidently I am too stupid to understand WHY, as long as what the hunter is doing is LEGAL in the eyes of the Authorities, that is NOT good enough.

Forrest Gump even knew that “stupid is as stupid does”
Legal does not equal right or ethical.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to who?

What is legal in one country might be illegal in another.

What one considers ethical, others might consider not.

Who is right, and who is wrong?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

That croc shot in Trophy was legal. Are we supposed to support that? Not me.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, if a method is not LEGAL, it does not matter how ETHICAL an individual or group believes something to be, LEGALITIES TRUMP ETHICS EVERYTIME!

Anyone that honestly believes that is not TRUE, ask an LEO and see what answer you get.

From what I have seen from some of you folks, if you had your way, there would not be near as many people hunting as there is.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

And that is the point Larry. What you have the right do may not be the right thing to do. Candidly if a grown up at this stage cannot appreciate that distinction, I feel we are wasting our time and energy trying to explain it to them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it that you do not support the LEGAL shooting of the Croc, or the actions of the person that did the shooting?

Care to answer that?

Supporting the LEGAL killing of a species does not have ANYTHING to do with supporting the behavior of the hunter, or do you understand that?

Same with the Elephant it evidently was a LEGAL kill, but it was the bahior of the people involved that was objected to. Yes or No?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall, have you watched the movie?

If you haven’t please do, it may help you understand what we are talking about.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote