New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female professional hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious as if there are any female PH in Africa. I know here in the states there are a few including one in Ely, Nevada who was as tough as any man I have ever hunted with, although she looked like she was an east german weight lifter.
Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has hunted several times with Elmarie Minnaar of Hunters Rock in SA. I hunted with her husband and got to know her. She is very capable and tough as nails. My friend has taken lion, buff and elephant with her. He also took a 67" Kudu with her at Hunters Rock.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Elaine Coetzee of CEC safaris. She and husband Cornie are both PH's. Although they are currently in Zambia and can't answer emails, their website is www.cecsafaris.com

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
The wife of the PH I hunted with in Namibia's wife is a PH as well: Francois and Henreit Swanepoel.

The book Professional Hunters for a changing Africa also has a chapter called "The Lass Shoots a 458" about Iona Linfoot of Zim.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Natasha Illum Berg in Tanzania, who is very competent, experienced and a real doll to boot.

Adri De Jager in RSA

Kay Hiscocks who was one of the examiners of KZN PHs used to operate occasionally as well, but sadly she was killed by an Elephant a few years ago.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I didn't hunt on that trip but I spent a couple of days driving around on her family farm with her and I am certain Adri de Jaeger is as good as any male PH in South Africa.

Then there's George Hoffman's daughter, Cynthia Caldwell, reportedly the first woman to earn a PH license in South Africa.

And don't forget Margarete Trappe of Tanganyika, the only female professional hunter to be listed on the East African Professional Hunters Association's Scroll, according to Fiona Capstick''s "The Diana Files."

If you are interested in knowing more about female hunting guides and professional hunters, and notable women who hunted, I suggest you get a copy of Fiona's book from Rowland Ward. There's nothing comparable.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jill Kleyans of Mafigeni Safaris is a PH in South Africa. Her husband Claude is a PH in Tanzania and South Africa.

Really nice woman and while she doesn't PH much she does know her stuff.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Debbie Visser in Coutada 14 mozambique. a good hunter.

Zim has only ever had one female PH, and she got married just after she qualified and has never hunted as far as I know

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jill Kleyans of Mafigeni Safaris is a PH in South Africa. Her husband Claude is a PH in Tanzania and South Africa.

Really nice woman and while she doesn't PH much she does know her stuff

Jill is a wonderful PH.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must go along with Steve in that Elaine Coetzee with CEC Safaris is very competant and a lovely lady besides.

Posts: 48 | Location: Henderson, Nv. | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cynthia Hoffman no longer hunts. I am not sure about Natasia Illum Berg, last time I saw her was in Dar es Salaam a couple of years ago. I think she is now living in Sweeden with her husband, but not to sure. She was working for TGT as I recall at the time or perhaps Robin Hurt, not sure. She and Cynthia are both well qualified PHs and nice ladies. Cynthias dad was George Hoffman, one of my best friends and one of the best PHs ever, and he is truly missed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Natasha Illum Berg in Tanzania, who is very competent, experienced and a real doll to boot.

AHHHH Natasha!!

She makes my dream of Africa so much sweeter!!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

Originally posted by El Caballero:
AHHHH Natasha!!

She makes my dream of Africa so much sweeter!!

Now how am I suppose to keep my mind on hunting and my eyes out in the bush when my PH has two delicious-looking nubs sticking out of her shirt?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was at the airport talking to her and one of my clients (who had recognised her) embarrassed the hell out me by walking up to us and saying to me, ' I tell you what Steve, I'd much rather follow her ass through the bush than yours!' - I didn't know where to put my face. Wink

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't know where to put my face. Wink

I could...Smiler

Very attractive lady, but like in the COCKpit, I much prefer a more traditional PH. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Found this on the website.
http://www.artpeople.dk/

Danish-Swedish Natasha Illum Berg (born 1971) emerged as an author in 1999 with her best-selling first book Rivers of Red Earth delineating her apprenticeship as a big game hunter. The book was published in Sweden, Holland, Italy and Germany. Since 1997 Natasha Illum Berg is working as the only female big game hunter in East Africa, based in Tanzania. Her second book, a novel entitled Tea In the Blue Sofa, has been sold for publication in Great Britain, France and Holland.

NATASHA ILLUM BERG
SO WANTON A GOD
[Original title: So Wanton A God]
A Novel
Approx 240 pages
Publication date September 2005

A new novel by the author of the international best-sellers Rivers of Red Earth and Tea on the Blue Sofa. The Spanish bullfighter Diego meets and falls head over

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Her personal website is http://www.natashaillumberg.com/Home.html

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clearly blessed with physical beauty, Berg is as striking as any so

called "super model" that I have ever seen. If she meets the PH

standards that Buzz Charlton sets for those whom he hires, then
my hat is off to her. thumb Where I work I see a million beautiful

women per day. When one DOES SOMETHING INTERESTING it

makes her a stand out.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to all of this. Yet famous skirt chasing PH's of the past are roundly thrashed by so many here and some peers. From Hunter to many, many others have stated the obvious; people change when they get in the bush. You get both my meanings? Well before Vegas, there was the African Safari.

I wouldn't want to hunt with Berg but I would want her in camp.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Clearly blessed with physical beauty, she is as striking as any so

called "super model" that I have ever seen. If she meets the PH

standards that Buzz Charlton sets for those whom he hires, then
my hat is off to her. thumb Where I work I see a million beautiful

women per day. When one DOES SOMETHING INTERESTING it

makes her a stand out.

She operates in TZ. Not sure what Buzz has to do with this.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am making a point of the question, IS SHE, OR IS SHE NOT,

A TRULY SKILLED PH. I AM SAYING, IF BC WOULD CATEGORIZE

HER AS SKILLED ENOUGH AS A PH TO WORK FOR HIS OPERATION

THEN I'D SEE HER AS "LEGIT", LIKE DUDLEY ROGERS FOR

EXAMPLE OR ALAN SHEARS. Sorry that I was not clear, I hope

I "squared up" my thoughts. Did I confuse others?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a doubt that she's legit? She's been at it for some time now. I think her clients are happy and I have not heard or read of her having any problems or issues. I'm not saying that I would refuse to hunt with her. I'd rather hunt with a male PH. It's all about how I personally identify with that exact role and individual.

I love my wife. If I didn't, I'd hunt with her in a heartbeat if I thought there was a good chance of an after hours trophy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all you young bucks eat your heart out, she gives me a big hug and kiss everytime she sees me..

Confession time: At my age they all give me a big hug and kiss, it's a fatherly thing! boohoo

Is she a professional, she definatly is, and has worked for the best. She is all business on a hunt by the way, no hanky panky with this gal.

I do not think she is presently working, but is liveing in Europe and writing books. I could be wrong but last I heard she was no longer PHing.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I do not think she is presently working, but is liveing in Europe and writing books. I could be wrong but last I heard she was no longer PHing.

I don't know either, but her website still says she is hunting.

Quote from her site:

I am not suggesting that the shooting normally takes place from the car, as this is both against my own principles and that of the law of Tanzania, but I am suggesting that hunting all over Africa has become a bit of a quick fix. The pressure to get so and so many animals of such and such a size, in so and so many days, is killing the fire in the belly of the one who dreams of Africa being a place where a trophy brought home comes with an exciting story. A story of distance covered, sudden challenges and surprising encounters with elephants, hippos, lions and leopards just to mention a few. A story of stopping to wait for a big herd of elephants to pass in their own time, spending the entire day on the tracks of a single bull buffalo, drinking a sun-downer by a river full of crocs, and sleeping under the stars to the roar of lions. To feel in your own bones many of the same challenges that explorers in times gone by experienced.

Though buffalo hunting is my favourite occupation, on this kind of safari I will not call the client a sinner to sit by a river fishing for tiger fish one day, or maybe just shooting game birds for the pot the next. It can be as fast or slow as the client wants, but as real as it gets every day.

Of course I have a satellite telephone in case of emergency and I have a GPS… now these are the useful pieces of technology that modern times have brought. When a certain amount of trophies have been shot, I will send a message for a car to come to a pickup point and collect them, so that we can keep moving without too much luggage, and with out worrying about spoiled trophies in the heat. But as far as our own transport is concerned.. those two shorts-clad sticks that were meant for walking will be the way forward at most times. For 16-42 days we will be will be out exploring and hunting. Only to change areas do we interrupt our trek and get into a small aeroplane for a few hours.

We will camp when we think we are in a particularly lovely area, whether scenically or because we find that there is a lot of animal movement around. Sometimes we might decide to stay in a place for one night at others we might decide to stay for five. There are no fences in Tanzania and the hunting blocks that we are hunting in are simply huge, so we will move according to the animal movement that we encounter.

This is not the safari for the man or woman who wants to be guaranteed SCI records or to have shot everything on licence as soon as possible, but I can promise that there will be plenty of game shot, both big and small, and an adventure of a lifetime in some of the most amazing wilds on this planet.

I will always be using some of the absolute best and wildest hunting areas in Tanzania. For outfitting and porters I work with absolute top hunting companies only. Each of my safaris is tailor made, maps spread out, and as on any true safari there will be challenges to be dealt with as the safari proceeds. Routes will be planned, game licences, gun import, export licences etc. will all be take care of beforehand, as on a usual hunting safari.

The point of a safari like this is not to go through unnecessary suffering (as they say in the British army “ any fool can be uncomfortableâ€), but to experience the essence of African hunting and bush, in a way that will give the clients an experience, truly, of a lifetime.

Safety is paramount, so I might decide, depending on the area and the duration of the safari, that two professional hunters are needed. Food is of a simpler version than in permanent hunting camps, as our caravan of porters will be carrying our supplies, but a trained cook will be part of the party at all times and certainly your favourite tipple, be it a dry Martini or a Whisky, will be in your hand at the end of the day. Our camp equipment will also be lightweight but nevertheless comfortable.

You must be fit mentally and physically, you must have the spirit of a true hunter / adventurer, and finally, a good pair of shoes.

Natasha Illum Berg

Exploring / Hunting Safari
in Tanzania
with Professional Hunter
Natasha
Illum Berg

Fact list:

I do occasionally take shorter safaris of ten days. These are more typical modern hunting safaris.

The hunting season in Tanzania is from the 1. July to 31. Dec. The driest months in Tanzania are from July to October. In these months you can hunt throughout Tanzania. After November and the onset of the rainy season in the West of Tanzania, it is my advice that we hunt the Northern blocks from then on and through December.

A safari of 10-42 days will cost from 30.000 US$ to 180.000 US$ all-inclusive.

Please contact me for details on cost breakdown and trophy list.

It is advisable to book at least a year in advance to make sure that the best areas and dates will be available.

By Tanzania Law, clients shall only hunt the animals issued on their permit (subject to quota availability). Only hunting clients are permitted to hunt. Observers are welcome to accompany the client at a smaller rate, but they will remain observers.

Though it might be possible to rent a rifle here, it is always much more advisable to bring your own weapons. Knowing your gun and a chosen brand of ammunition can do a lot in the “moment of truth.†Having a scope for precision is also a good idea. The law of Tanzania requires a minimum of a cal. 240 rifle for smaller game and .375 or larger for dangerous game. I insist on clients using larger calibre on big-bodied game like Eland.
Please train with your gun on a shooting range before you come on safari, it could save you a lot of disappointment.

CITES Permits
You must have CITES permits, from your country of residence (or country to where your trophies are to be shipped). Some countries will require that permits are obtained before you leave for your safari, others issue them on production of your safari trophy list, after completion of your safari. Please look into this.

Tanzania is a malarial area. Malarone seems to be the best option at the moment.

Camouflage coloured clothing is prohibited in Tanzania. Please bring a mixture of medium dark green to dry grass coloured clothes. You might find that you will prefer hunting in long trousers.

spinksranch.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sentiments echoed by many a bygone PH, and these nearly exact wards quoted in print by Denis Holman, said words belonging to non other than Eric Rundgren.

She's expensive as hell too. For that kinda money I'd rather hunt with Robin Hurt.

One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
I would like to note the correct spelling of Jill's last name. It is Kleynhans. Some above missed the "nh". FYI, her contact information is PO Box 3543, Tzaneen, 0850, South Africa, and email is mafigeni@gmail.com.
Also, she is a good shot with her 375 H&H.
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder. This thread is captioned "Female professional hunters."

Not "Professional female hunters."

If you get my drift. Wink

If more women were good shots with .375s, more men would be better behaved. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She asks too much money to hunt with her in my opinion. Her under 10 day hunts start at 30k?

I'm surprised no one has commented on her hyena photo. She's got something wrong with her.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yukon delta: "I'm surprised no one has

commented on her hyena photo. She's

got something wrong with her."

YES, A FOOLISH STUNT! Eeker shocker popcorn

Maybe she believed this made her look all brave

and "Man Enough" to be a trusted Pro... bewildered

Jack

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I second that. Extremely foolish stunt

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the photo being discussed.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I don't know the story behind that picture, but before you get too carried away criticising this sort of thing, you need to remember that sometimes things aren't exactly all they seem.... As an example of this, below are two pics I took some years ago..... There was no fence or anything else between me and the subject and for the second picture, I actually had my lens in the Lion's mouth....... BUT he had been hand reared and the guy who had reared him was standing right beside me...... Sure it still wasn't safe but it was a damn sight safer than trying to do it to a truly wild Lion....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quoted from her website..."Homepage image taken in Ethiopia of Natasha playing dead surrounded by meat to see how close the hyena would come".

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Having had my hand licked by a full grown mature female lioness I can say that all is not as it seems sometimes.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not suggesting anything either way, but it doesn't say anything about the animal being wild or otherwise. My point is that sometimes a picture doesn't always tell the whole story.

It's not at all uncommon when a DG animal is shot for one of the local staff to ask to have a picture taken with the rifle and the dead animal....... but it doesn't necessarily mean he shot the animal or was even there at the time it was shot.......

It's a nice and unusual picture though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..."Homepage image taken in Ethiopia of Natasha playing dead surrounded by meat to see how close the hyena would come".

The pic is probably with the 'Hyena Men of Harrar'...near Gambella? They feed spotted hyena daily with meat hung on sticks, often held in their mouths, the animals are habituated to this. Safe? Not really but as Shakari said...a different ball game to 'wild' animals. Often the picture belies the details...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I don't know either, but her website still says she is hunting.

Ha ha, funny she is 'no longer hunting' when that website is pretty much brand new and has only been up a few months. rotflmo

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:

Really nice woman and while she doesn't PH much she does know her stuff.

Roger that! thumb

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know her name, but when we were in RSA this summer my PH Nihan engelbrecht got a text message from a female PH who had two drunken spanish clients at the lodge who were getting out of hand with her. The owner had booked them and she was substituted in at the last minute. She told Nihan she wasn't really worried, she had her bow in her tent with her.

She just sent the message in case things got out of hand.

I work in an Industry that employs piles of women and if a female PH's references checked out I wouldn't have any problem hunting with them. If they are nice to look at that isn't a bad thing either.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Having just received the Robin Hurt Safaris annual newsletter, I see that Natasha Berg is among the PHs listed for their company. It also showed some pic's of a safari taken with her as PH.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote