Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania 06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Am headed for Kigosi area this July for cats/buff/PG using Wendell R as consultant. My questions to members regard the selection of weapons and the use of antimalarials.
I plan on taking bolt action 375 H&H and 458 win mag, but also have a double rifle in 45/70. Should I take the double for follow-up on lion/leopard, or stick with one of the bolt actions ? (the newer 45/70 loads are about 3700 ft.lbs)
On antimalarials, I plan on using doxycycline daily, with quinine as back-up in-case of development of symptoms. I am a physician, but would appreciate the views of the experienced travelers. I know Wendell came close to death from malaria on his trip to the same area. I don't know what prophylaxis he was using.
Also, ForrestB, thanks for your great pictures from masaiiland last year. I had to postpone that hunt, but Wendell was able to arrange the kigosi hunt without loss of deposit.
Any comments on the area or trophy selection would be appreciated. SGraves155

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the bolt actions and leave the .45/70 at home, or take a light plains game rifle instead, if you want a three rifle battery. In particular, if push came to shove and worse ran to worst and I had to follow up a lion (again Big Grin ), I'd take the .375.

High velocity and soft point bullets are hell on cats. They are comparatively fine boned and highly strung animals. So, if I were you, I'd take the .375 loaded with good, but not too hard, soft point bullets, like the Nosler PTs.

For leopard, the best follow up weapon I have ever seen was short-barreled Benelli 12 gauge semi-auto loaded with eight rounds of No. 4 buckshot. Some prefer rifles, but with all due respect that shotgun would be my first choice.

But given the rifles you have to choose from, again, I'd go with the .375. Or even better, kill him with the first bullet!

As for anti-malarials, I have only used Malarone. It does not have the hyper sensitivity to UV rays side effect of doxy nor does it have the psychoactive side effects of Lariam. I like it and so far, so good.

The only problem with Malarone is that you have to take one a day--before, during and after--and you really can't miss even one without risk.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used malarone in Tanz last fall and really liked the mild side effects. I've used other drugs before and always had at least mildly annoying side effects. With malarone the only thing I noticed were that my dreams were a bit more entertaining than normal.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, and congrats on your big ele from the Caprivi. Can you share the weights? Steve Graves

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'm a bit slow today and didn't make the connection!

Welcome to AR! And thanks for your advice on the Caprivi. You said it would be hot in Salambala in October, and man you were right--in spades.

My elephant was a bit lighter in the teeth than we expected owing to his very large nerves. His major tusk, which was five and a half feet long, came in at 42 lbs., and his minor at 35.

Hard to figure, given that he was very old, his tusks were so long, and given that nerve cavities shrink and tusks get heavier with age. But I was very happy with my ancient bull, and with my safari as a whole. I have now spent a solid month hunting with Vaughan Fulton, and two thirds of that time for DG, and he is simply one of the best.

I know you'll enjoy yourself in the Kigosi--Wendell is one of the good guys and knows that area well.

Best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

If I were you I would practice somewhat long shots - we shot almost everything including buff at 200+ yards. There are lots of open areas. We saw two lions in the open; one was at 185 the other similar.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Another AZ writer--did you do any tracking for dugga boys, or was there no chance on tracking?

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I am taking a 375 and a 450#2 for my 21 day Selous hunt...I would never want that double for DG..leopard OK but never a lion...
The 458 and 375 will be more than sufficient..
I used a 458 Lott with 450Barnes X bullets and the buf hit the ground in 10 yds...
I arrive Dar on July 23..
Welcome aboard..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Steven,

We never looked at tracks on the ground. Just spot and stalk on the floodplanes. You will have some grass, so you will be able to get closer than we did.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wendell, what antimalarial were you taking? Steve

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Another question-- Do I apply for a CITES permit for leopard and croc before I hunt, or after? Thanks,Steve

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Malarone. I would take it again. I believe I did not start taking it soon enough. I did not have enough built up in my system by the time I landed in Africa.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Part of this thread boils down to the question--" On a close quarters charge by a lion or leopard, would you rather have a long barreled bolt action 375 or a short barreled 45/70 double?" Tough question or not? SGraves155

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

I will say this for Wendell. Pick up the phone and call him. He spent hours on the phone with me before I left.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I have faith in Wendell, but I have begun to enjoy all the input from the AR folks. Steve

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thing you didn't book it with Atkinson - he would be ripping your ass right now about not trusting him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I agree with all above. I would go with Malarone starting 5 days before and 5 days after. Have used it 5 times and worked perfectly everytime.

Confused also on 45/70. Why? If I was going to take 3 guns I would agree on a PG rifle or bird shooting is lots of fun, throw in a shotgun.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
BigBear-- with some trouble , the inserts come out of the 45/70 and it becomes a 12 gauge. It still comes down to the close-quarters charge, one heavy versus two medium for DG. Which would you go with? Steve

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you like the 45/70 and feel comfortable with it, by all means use it. With a good load and the right bullet, it will certainly work well. You said it, you are talking about using it in close quarters, not 200 yds at a lion. Leopards are soft compared to lions, so again, no problem. I would use a premium bullet of at least 400 gr. I used Speer 400's on deer and bear and for my taste, they are too soft for lion. It's your safari, use what You like.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I hunt Kigosi this past year in July. I used Doxy and was very pleased with it. I have used Larium previously without any side effects;however, I think I like the doxy better.

I am sixty-five and fair skinned but had no real sun problems;; however I used tons of Avon's SSS with sunblock for the the Tsetse's with long pants and long sleeved shirts for the same reason. It was effective. I prefer a wide brimmed hat to baseball sytle which worked well.

A pair of amber shooting glasses that fit tightly are helpful in protecting your eyes not only from light but seed pods and branches. Them trees got thorns!

The shots are fairly quick, and some are at a good distance. I used my 9.3x62 on everything, and it was fine. I used 250's for distance shots and lion, and a combination of 286 Woodleighs solids and soft points in case of buffalo and 286 Partitions for my gneral heavy load.

I'd think that the 375HH would be perfect. The difficulty is getting loads that will harmonize and shoot to the same point or at least in the same vertical line. I made good use of one of those butt stock ammo holders to hold a few of whatever wasn't chambered.

I carried a 375 and 9.3x62 on the theory that if one rifle broke, the other was adequate for the game we were hunting. I'd think that the 458 and 375 would duplicate that twosome.

Good luck. It is a wonderful hunt. Kudude

PS: I got my money's worth out of the scope covers that pop open. The secret is to mount them long before you go, and practice mounting the rifle and popping them open.

Practice from the sticks and field supported positions.

And get started right now walking. Walk at least three miles per week, preferrably about two miles a day two or three times per week. When you get in good shape, practice duck walking, the ph's favorite torture, up to 25 yards. Also walking bent over just as far as you can for 50 yards.

A set of light weight very snug gaiters would be nice to keep the soot, ash and nastiness out of your shoes. My Clark chukka's still soot up socks! Good hunting! kd

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
kudude, thanks, good info. Steve

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
leave the 45/70 - most airlines have a 2 gun per case limit. the 3rd provides you with extra hassle. I have taken lariam and got the full bore reaction, enough to say I'd rather have had the malaria. I then tried malarone, but got a reaction from that too. Now i use doxy and cloroquine with no reaction. Take the doxy at night then the sun reaction isn't so bad during the day. I also protects against tick fever, when is quite common.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote