Find
Notify
Tools

For the Teva Kool-Aid Drinkers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Well, for those so inclined I tried out the Keen sandals in Africa and they were okay except there are too many straps which catch too much trash and too much grass.

I also took my Tevas which are similar to these. Fewer straps and bindings mean less trash and less grass.

The natives have it right, go barefoot. The Tevas were as close to barefoot as I care to get. You couldn't pay me enough to wear boots again!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Keens with the toe covers. I suffer from Haole Toe big time when my toes are exposed.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about the Teva's, but I need a toe guard, like the newer Keen Newport H2 or the Venice which has one less strap. I have been doing a bit of hiking in the Newport's lately including some difficult (rocky) terrain. On trails or drainages they are good, but when off-trail in the grass or leaves they do pick up a good bit on junk. Nevertheless they will be coming with my Lowa's next time. [Aug 11 EDIT] Okay, just came back from the same ~4hr mtn/rock loop, and was much faster in the light-hiker Lowa's then the Keens with less drauma in the rocks...but I'm still talking them along if only for camp!

Good looking picture there Will! thumb

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Lookin' KEEN man.... TeVa man, myself. Wink

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Is that toenail polish??

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For an "old" guy, you are sure stylin' (as my kids would say).

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Is that toenail polish??

Nah. French pedicure.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You guys are nuts! Big Grin

If you want to go back to basics, just use the hand carved tire tread models that are so popular with the locals. Cool

I would no sooner wear sandals than a I would a turban. Eeker But to each his own.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keen sandals catch and keep shit like stones very well in the footbed and are harder to get out - irritating.

Chacos with the vibram soles are great, been wearing them most days since 2002.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my Bates Tacticals thank you. I'm not the flip-flop kinda guy troll

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Metrosexual man on Safari! Wink

Best Regards & Lookin' Gooooooood!

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
I'll keep my Bates Tacticals thank you. I'm not the flip-flop kinda guy troll

Same here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Sorry! I don't mind being called a weenie. I need some type of boots with a little ankle support. I saw an Appy who wore sandal every day get a debilitating infection from a thorn. It would be just my luck to get stuck on day one of a safari and not be able to hunt for most of the rest of my safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
La Dee Da!! Thank you, no sandals-EVER.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
All the PH's and the journalist at RWS have been through the sandal/rafter phase, and all have returned to the good old hunting boot. Of course, conditions and areas vary and it is much more comfortable to hunt the lowveld towards the year end in sandals. Given the choice, however, I would never go the sandal route in Chewore, no matter what time of the year.

Just my 2 cents.....

FYI, Ivan Carter, who posts on these forums, has hunted big game barefoot for as long as I can remember. This is not advisable though, and one would have to know the man to appreciate the underside of his feet.

Those tyre sandals referred to are known as 'magwadas' here in Zim. My brother's nickname amongst the locals is 'Magwada'. Can't think why, but believe it has something to do with a long and poorly paid hunting apprenticeship!!

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have worn tevas since 1990...i have the keens with the toes covered...they are great and i like that i dont get my toes messed up like the tevas. the only advantage of the tevas is you can tighten them and losen them as you need traction and surety of step when it gets dangerous and when you need to losen them when your feet swell in the heat or tighten them if you are in cold water and they shrink and get slippery. i hike in them and would not be without them but if i am not doing dangetous stuff the keens are good.

the ones to use to keep the stickers and weeds out of is the crocks. they weigh nothing and are comfy

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-30-4-off-road.aspx?reqid=30&re...ear§ion=products

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
The natives have it right, go barefoot. The Tevas were as close to barefoot as I care to get. You couldn't pay me enough to wear boots again!

All the natives I have hunted with are happy to wear shoes even if they tend to look like sandals by that time.

However for not so hard core hunts I find the COURTENEY Adventures great.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
the ones to use to keep the stickers and weeds out of is the crocks. they weigh nothing and are comfy

Well, empirical evidence indicates that while you can wear Crocs in Africa, their use is best relegated to around camp and in town...

Of course, maybe the "Off Road" style is tough enough, but I have my doubts. Where do they get these names?

I would rather wear Tevas than Crocs, but even in camp Tevas fill up with rocks and sand, and my feet are just not up to hunting in them. It also seems you are more likely to get stopped at police roadblocks if you wear Tevas and a T-Shirt...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fag shoes.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Fag shoes.

Holding back like that isn't like you!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
I would never go the sandal route in Chewore, no matter what time of the year. Dave

Oh brother! I have hunted Chewore North mucho times in sandals. But a couple weeks is not full-time, either.

You guys are stuck in a rut! Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
It also seems you are more likely to get stopped at police roadblocks if you wear Tevas and a T-Shirt...

Now that is a stretch! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Add socks and you could be mistaken for a German tourist. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
My old Dad once told me, "The only men who wear sandals are ___________ and ____________".

Words to live by!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Now that is a stretch! Smiler

Must be because I left the socks off...

Seriously, when we drove in from Harare we were waved through all the roadblocks. On the way back to Harare we were stopped regularly and got to chat with the officers. Maybe it was my T-shirt that was the problem...or maybe it was because we drove back to Harare on a Sunday.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
With them short britches, the sandals look " In Style!" Razzer

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm sure sandals are comfortable and I have had 2 PH's ,both GOOD friends, who hunt barefooted. I can't even go barefooted in my own home on the carpet much less in the wild. I wear custom Russels ( I know some don't like them) hunting and Vellies around camp. Wish I could wear sandals but I can't even tolerate flip flops in the shower. Bought Courtney Rafters for several friends in Zim and they really like them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe

Just want you to know that I stand firmly in the Russell camp with you

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:when we drove in from Harare we were waved through all the roadblocks. On the way back to Harare we were stopped regularly and got to chat with the officers. Maybe it was my T-shirt that was the problem...or maybe it was because we drove back to Harare on a Sunday.
Or maybe they were hoping to score some meat!

Surestrike, you are too funny. That ranks up there with the "dickhead" post. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Or maybe they were hoping to score some meat!

Well you could get logical and assume it had nothing to do with me... Big Grin

I only recall one asking for meat, and one asking about firearms. Generally once they found out we were back from hunting they let us go on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Add socks and you could be mistaken for a German tourist. Wink

rotflmo

I am not sure wearing sandals makes you soft or a 'fag'.
Fast and light...the way to go. Some terrain needs closed shoes for sure but sandals are great much of the time, heavy boots or combat boots? What combat you doing? White sweaty stinky soft feet?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After wearing Tevas twice in Chewore and twice in the lowveld without issue, I was sold on them.

But when I tried them in the Central Highlands of Namibia, I needed more coverage. Far too much thorny and stickery brush at ground level.

Although the Tevas are my first choice, I will always take some light soft soled boots just in case.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you my next three pay checks that you wouldn't have caught John Wayne in a pair of them sandals. Wink

Wearing sandals doesn't make you a fag it just makes you look like one. Razzer

That was joke. For all of you sensitive boys out there with limited sense of humor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they make those for men?

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yep, this will be Will in a few years... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boots.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Do you like gladiator movies?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, this will be Will in a few years...

Will,

Do you like gladiator movies?

LMAO... you guys are bad, funny but bad!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sandals are a good way in East Africa to get jiggers in the sides of your feet and soles. Wink

At home in Summer I often wear sandals like Will posted ever day and hunt in them a lot and hate it when I have to put boots on.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Boy I am sure this will irritate some folks but wearing sandals or even thin canvas deck shoes is what I would have to classify as..."SUPER STUPID"

You run the risk of thorns, stickers, bug bites, small cuts from sharp little pebbles impacting your ability to walk plus any of those scratches getting infected and ruinning your hunt.

Walking in the bush in africa is no different than walking in woods in North America. How many of you would where sandals on a 5 mile walk in the woods?

What's even funnier is we have folks insist on controlled feed or double rifles for dangerous game for the percived infintecimal improvement in reliability but they are gonna where SANDALS and risk ruining there hunt.

I even think the whole shorts thing is "macho" bullshit and tradition is used as an excuse. Hey I where hiking shorts all the time when I know I am going to stay on the trail. But if I know I am going off the trail into the woods, I woould never where shorts. going of the trail i

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote