THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is a good/ better than good/ and wow! Water buck
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good/ better than good/ and wow! Water buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
I have water buck on the "want" list for the next trip ---but -- not sure as to what dimensions I should be looking for in a way better than average animal???
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Anything over 28" is very good.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of a 30 inch water buck from Tanzania. Hope it will help you out in the field.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mine was just short of 30". Taken in Limpopo province, South Africa, in 2005

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a bit lesser than good ( approx 25") but he is heavy at the base, huge in body, and the stalking took three days.
For me he is an impressive trophy even though the tape dosen´t say so thumb
Limpopo Bushveld August 2008

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite african animals! Great pics. MY buddy took a 30 incher with bow last year, I'll see if i can find pics. Ryan

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Here is a pretty good one.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a "very good" bull taken with Mike Kibble, in Namibia, last year....31.5". Good bases and he carries the mass all the way. 338 RUM-225 NF.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most places you should be happy with 28" but some areas 24"-25" is a big one. In some excellent waterbuck habitat such as Coutada 10 in Mozambique 30" would be the benchmark.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only 27", but heavy and very pretty. Anything above this is a bonus. My friend has a 33" which is incredible! I will try to improve on it in Zim this year but it is not critical on inches. Properly hunted with good friends makes up for score.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's another one just barely under 30" taken in the Limpopo area in 2007:

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Arvild's bull has amazing mass!

Here's a long one from the Caprivi:

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
This one was 32.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted Hide Post
This one is 28 1/3"
Shot at Kwalata Wilderness

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Arvild's bull has amazing mass!

Here's a long one from the Caprivi:

Steve,

That is a loooong bull thumb

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't really know what a good waterbuck is... They all taste pretty awful. Big Grin

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a Waterbuck that went 29 2/8 in South Africa, East Cap,last September (2008). I know there are much bigger ones out there but 29+ looked awful big to me.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
As Mark mentioned, our area (Coutada 10, Mozambique) has very good Waterbuck - an many of them too. If you hit it right, you can have a 100 bulls in your field of vision at any one time - of which 40 will make book. I dont know of a better Waterbuck desyination anywhere.

This one measured 34" or so and was taken in 2007 by John Wood. As Mark mentioned, about 30" is the norm and less than 28" will get seriously frowned on. We have had slightly longer as well but we don't keep too much score as it is not the most important aspect of the hunt for us.

Ignore the date on the photograph. The camera date wasn't set properly. I have more pics if you want!

Johan

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A couple of good Waterbuck.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Here is mine after it was mounted 30 1/2

I bad photo after it was shot here it was 31 wet

The best was I saw a bull the next day about 200m from where i shot this one he was about 4" bigger ive seen some monsters in the hoedspruit/gravelot area

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking

26" = acceptable
28" = good
29" = very good
30" = outstanding
+30" = Wow!!

In the bushveld a good waterbuck can be an extremely challenging hunt. Coutada 10 sounds like an exceptional area. On a 7 day hunt in a "normal" area if you tell your PH that you want a 30" bull he may just roll his eyes at you. There are some truly exceptional bulls being posted on this topic - dont make the mistake of thinking that they are the norm!

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
As Mark mentioned, our area (Coutada 10, Mozambique) has very good Waterbuck - an many of them too. If you hit it right, you can have a 100 bulls in your field of vision at any one time - of which 40 will make book. I dont know of a better Waterbuck desyination anywhere.

This one measured 34" or so and was taken in 2007 by John Wood. As Mark mentioned, about 30" is the norm and less than 28" will get seriously frowned on. We have had slightly longer as well but we don't keep too much score as it is not the most important aspect of the hunt for us.

Ignore the date on the photograph. The camera date wasn't set properly. I have more pics if you want!

That is a sensational waterbuck, Johan. thumb

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
My brother shot a double and the smallest was 28 and the BIG is 34 !! Eeker

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
This one was photographed by a friend in the Kruger park in December last year

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a really huge Waterbuck with a bow in 2003, hunting with Melorani Safaris in RSA. At the time it was #3 SCI with a bow, but haven't checked lately. I have a really good photo, but don't have the photo posting process at hand. If someone is willing, I can e-mail a pic and you may post it. Left side measured 32 4/8, right side 32 6/8, with bases at 10 6/8 and 10 7/8. Thanks for the help.

Bahati - I have heard you have lots of really good ones over in your area, pics really verify that case huh?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
email it to me....

gerhardd101@gmail.com

and I will post it for you

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I took a really huge Waterbuck with a bow in 2003, hunting with Melorani Safaris in RSA. At the time it was #3 SCI with a bow, but haven't checked lately. I have a really good photo, but don't have the photo posting process at hand. If someone is willing, I can e-mail a pic and you may post it. Left side measured 32 4/8, right side 32 6/8, with bases at 10 6/8 and 10 7/8. Thanks for the help.

Bahati - I have heard you have lots of really good ones over in your area, pics really verify that case huh?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the help Gerhard!!

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:
email it to me....

gerhardd101@gmail.com

and I will post it for you

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott450:
Generally speaking

26" = acceptable
28" = good
29" = very good
30" = outstanding
+30" = Wow!!

In the bushveld a good waterbuck can be an extremely challenging hunt. Coutada 10 sounds like an exceptional area. On a 7 day hunt in a "normal" area if you tell your PH that you want a 30" bull he may just roll his eyes at you. There are some truly exceptional bulls being posted on this topic - dont make the mistake of thinking that they are the norm!

Thanks to all for the info and super pictures!
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post

The one that got away.. Is he over thirty? Naa... Couldn't be... Must not be. But honestly - if you have a memorable stalk? Full of effort and fury, full of pursuit and failure and success and happiness..who cares about inches?

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boha:

The one that got away.. Is he over thirty? Naa... Couldn't be... Must not be. But honestly - if you have a memorable stalk? Full of effort and fury, full of pursuit and failure and success and happiness..who cares about inches?

Its a shooter

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott450:
Generally speaking

26" = acceptable
28" = good
29" = very good
30" = outstanding
+30" = Wow!!

True and good advice ...

Johan

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:

Its a shooter

Yes oh yes, I wish I had collected him. He has haunted me for five years.

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Think of large elk spikes and get up to over 2 feet.. This last pic is a shooter in my opinion...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:

Its a shooter

In a heartbeat!

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry thumb

I think you can retire from the pursuit of waterbuck now mate Big Grin

Blair.

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post

31" bull I shot in Zimbabwe last September.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
27" bull I took in Aug of 2008. SA, near the Kruger border..

some great bulls guys!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post

29 inches from RSA.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Blair, that is exactly what my PH Stewart Dorrington said when he first saw my bull. Another twist, this bull was the new #2 when taken. 10 days later after I had been home 3 or 4 days, Stewart told me I had been bumped to #3 as another bull by the hunter after I left took a bigger one. After seeing the pic of the "bigger bull" it was one that I had turned down on two seperate occasions in another area that I had on video. It had one horn cocked a little farther back, kind of weird like, but obviously an even bigger waterbuck. I am very happy to have mine however. Thanks for your comments.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
quote:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry thumb

I think you can retire from the pursuit of waterbuck now mate Big Grin