THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is a good/ better than good/ and wow! Water buck
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good/ better than good/ and wow! Water buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nothing like the sweet smell of water bucks.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1.

There are different species of waterbuck. As such be careful when using the measurements discussed herein. I think most people are speaking of common waterbuck. However I saw at least one that wasn't.

Personally, I shot a 32 in South Africa. Thereafter I saw another that made have made 35! The record came from the adjoining ranch. The 32 is big enough that I will never shoot another.

By the way it is BS about the taste of waterbuck. As long as you keep the hair off, it is fine. Get the hair on it and it is absolutely awful. I have eaten them plenty of times.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I would go much farther than it tastes fine. I think the loins are some of the best of the larger antelope. Like you said-- as long as the hair stays off it. Cut'em thick and grill to med rare-- damn they are good.

On another note, is there any antelope more "stately" than a waterbuck?

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say there are more stately antelope than a waterbuck and I would have to choose the Kudu.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phoenixdawg,
I guess we have a worthy topic for discussion when I get to KC.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:
I would say there are more stately antelope than a waterbuck and I would have to choose the Kudu.

PD,

Out in the bush I would agree, but a good shoulder mount of a waterbuck bull is damned impressive............

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Blair

I agree. The waterbuck does make one of the better looking mounts. I also like a pedestal mount with the backskin used for the bottom panels, showing off the white line ...

Johan