New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike_Dettorre Album
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies. Looks like an exceptional bushbuck. Congratulations!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I really like the scenic shots, great job on those! The collected animals are nice as well!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The sunset is on the Zambezi just above the falls.

The river is the Gwayi in June

The other is a view of the Gwayi Valley from a ridge top.

The bushbuck went just over 17 on one side and just under 17 on the other if I recall correctly.

The kudu was right at 52 The kudu is what I call a "Bullsh*t" trophy. I hear some folks say I won't shoot a kudu unless is 53+ and I say well would you you shoot this one and I show them the picture and they say yeah in a heart beat...then I say well your full of sh*t cause its only 52.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Mike exceptional pictures and exceptional trophies. The bushbuck is stellar, but you have heard that, frequently I'll bet.

Well done!

Dave

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures and trophies, Mike. I especially like your bushbuck.

Who did you hunt with in the Gwayi Valley?

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
i hunted with the van Wyks...Pierre

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pdpdad
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.
Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 48 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Mike, I really like your bushbuck!!! fine phots, really good trophies, but that one......no words. I have to organize a bushbuck hunt. I like it too much.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
In these photographs we see the great success you had in your safari Mike truth and I am very happy for you. Thank you for sharing your great experience with us.

Sincerely,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oscar,

Gracias, yo hablo un poquito pero mi grammatica es muy ma. Mi professore diga me "Es el burro sabe mas que tu".

Quiero practicar mi Espanol porque regresso Cabo San Lucas pr pescar. Personas vive en Cabo San Lucas es muy cortez y mas cortex cuando hablo en espanol porque es un respecto de Mexico.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Mike, practicando el castellano podrás poco a poco hacerte con él, yo considero más difícil el inglés, pero mucho más. Me alegra que tengas ganas de practicar. Te deseo lo mejor en tus aventuras tanto de caza como de pesca.

Un saludo y suerte en todo,

Oscar.
Mike, practicing the Castilian can gradually get him, I think harder English, but much more. I am glad that you want to practise. We wish you well in your adventures both hunting and fishing.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote