ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    Belize Hunt---buffalo and red brocket deer--pix added

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belize Hunt---buffalo and red brocket deer--pix added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Hunt date May3-11, 2011
Participants: SGraves and Tom Y.
Lodging: Maya Kingdom Lodge at Altun Ha
Game hunted: River water-Buffalo, red brocket deer, Warrie (white-lipped peccary) Gibnut (paca). The water buffalo were originally brought in to Belize about 30 years ago for milk and meat production, but some have escaped or been released into the wild. Some still had ear-tags.
Game taken: buffalo, red-brocket
Game or tracks seen: coatimundi, tapir tracks, jaguar tracks, Warrie, currasow
Weapons used: Mostly old singleshot shotguns, but an old bolt action .270 rifle for buffalo
Other activities: fishing for freshwater tarpon in ponds (hooked and lost several in 5-10 lb range), trolling and bait fishing for a variety of fish (only caught small snapper and 'cuda), snorkeling at the reef with sharks and rays. Viewing the Mayan ruins at tourist sites, and finding Mayan ruins while hunting.

The hunting and fishing opportunities were provided by David Hill from his lodge at Maya Kingdom. He is not a PH, and does not accompany folks on the hunts. He is a Facilitator, Naturalist and Entrepeneur. He will arrange for your license and hire locals to provide the services, and get you to where they will pick you up. There were times where not enough food, cooking/eating utensils, sleeping pads, or ammo were present. They are just getting started and David will, of course, need to make sure that future hunters' basic needs are met at every camp. At present, there do not appear to be any other operators offering these hunting services.
Everyday was strenuous, but usually enjoyable.
Buffalo

Landy and Kevin with Tom and me

Red Brocket, taken under a fruit tree

David and son Andre

Altun Ha, touristy Mayan ruins

Maya Kingdom

Transportation

Boa

Shore lunch

boat---Derek and Santana

Mayan ruins in the jungle. Tom and me.

Jungle camp. Tom and Kevin.

Mauricio cooking fish for breakfast. No plates or eating utensils.

Buffalo

Jaguar track. There were tracks at every water hole. Most of the local hunters we talked with had killed jaguars. Jaguars were a problem on most of the cattle ranches we visited.

Stream crossing

Hunter's quarters

Looking for buff

Scorpion--note drop of poison on tip of stinger

More pix later. Need to get the underwater photos developed.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I had no idea you could even hunt in Belize...pretty cool stuuff.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Red Brocket Deer!!!

Congratulations!

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
very unique exploratory hunt. Congratulations.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool hunt, Steve.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Good to know tha You had a succefully hunt there, amazing brokeed deer, nice bull with a special look, a really wild place, thanks for share with Us, I hope You visit our loved Patagonia some day (Take a look lates C. Boddingtong book, "Big Game Argentina" and will see the places ) I toke a nice red stag last season in La Pampa, soon my report, on September a Pronghorn Hunt and maybe Nilgai if I can affort it. K. R. Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I'm glad you had a good hunt!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2063 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt. I really enjoyed the pics!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had fun DOC

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Most unusual and interesting. Thanks for introducing us to something completely different.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting and unusual place. See the May 2011 Hunting Report, p. 16, where conflicting reports on this outfitter are discussed.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Grandpa's Balls. Two seeds in each side. Edible.

Carlton, Kevin's brother

Fish on a stick

Bomba town

Entrance to Hunter's quarters. No upstairs bathrooms. OK for men, but not for ladies.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
An interesting and unusual place. See the May 2011 Hunting Report, p. 16, where conflicting reports on this outfitter are discussed.

blanco, yes, this is an important report to read before considering this hunt.

I would be hesitant to recommend this hunt to anyone else. It is over-priced, and under-prepared.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Dude, you are my hero! Really cool hunt and I am glad you had success! I, also, read the mixed reports in this month's Hunting Report. So you actually shot the buff with a .270? Man, guess it was a better option than a single shot shotgun! I would love to hear the story one day!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Incredible adventure im jealous ,you have had so many intersting expeditions thats its great to chat with you in the campfire as we did .Thnaks for sharing with us .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Few picts from near the coral reef

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What a hell of an adventure Steve! Looks like you made it happen under extreme conditions, congrats to you and Tom! Did you get to shoot any of the game birds?
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Guille,
I must get to Patagonia for red stag, and to meet you. I will look for your report on your hunt.
Juan,
thanks. They were kind enough not to give me any Fernet when I was thirsty, only beer. You may have seen the pix I posted in the hog hunting Forum--now I have whitetails, hogs, and bear (at least occasionally) out my front door. Plus coyotes, raccoon, oppossum, and fox!! Big Grin

David,
a couple of currasow almost gave me shots, but not quite. Didn't see any oscellated turkey, but they are there.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting report. I had no idea that Belize was open for sport hunting.

Twenty years ago I was based there for six months with the British Army and spent many weeks in the jungle, on patrol along the Maya Mountains on the south of the country. Huge snakes and creepy crawlies everywhere. Some rough country and damn hot work carrying all your gear on your back for weeks at a time.

We hunted whatever we could for fresh rations, including various monkeys and wild pigs. Never saw any feral buffalo though.

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
This is an interesting report. I had no idea that Belize was open for sport hunting.

Twenty years ago I was based there for six months with the British Army and spent many weeks in the jungle, on patrol along the Maya Mountains on the south of the country. Huge snakes and creepy crawlies everywhere. Some rough country and damn hot work carrying all your gear on your back for weeks at a time.

We hunted whatever we could for fresh rations, including various monkeys and wild pigs. Never saw any feral buffalo though.

Richard,
the fellow who originally imported the buffalo was trying to grow his herd at that time. He essentially gave up, at least as I understand, and has been trying to get rid of the buffalo.
Those howler monkeys can make the scariest dang noises to awaken to!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdnwLX5m3G8

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Steve....thanks for sharing your story and the fine photos. I spent some time in Belize a few years ago. A good friend had moved there to a beautiful home on the beach on Ambergis Quay...about 300 yards from the reef. And I did get to that ruin as well.

Your brocket deer is a beauty and one I would like to take some day in Argentina. I am thinking about going back next March for stag.
(Heading back July 11 but more for a visit than hunting.)

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do that hunt... tu2 Can never have too many adventures !!! Good on you !!!

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote