THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
DISCLAIMER:
1) I am not a Gunsmith, Gunmaker or Artisan. I have however stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (well truth be told I stayed next door to one) so that gives me the qualifications to post my project on the internet. I am an average guy that has a passion for guns and likes to make my own stuff.
2) This thread is not an attempt to show best practices, it is for your entertainment. I have learned a lot from the posts on this forum, both good and bad and this is my way of giving back.
3) I already know that I am doing everything wrong but if it makes you feel better to tell me how wrong I am then please feel free to voice your opinion Big Grin Wink

Ok now that we have that over with, now on to the project at hand. I had a Remington 700 in 22-250 (I know it is not a Mauser, see disclaimer #3) kicking around in my safe for years that I never shoot. It is a solid shooter but I have a 40X in 22-250 so it does not get used. I decided to make a rifle out of it that I could pass down to my kids. I have always wanted to play with a 7mm-08 and that seemed like a good first deer rifle caliber for my kids so I decided to build one.

I have never actually planned and bought all the parts for a build before I started. Usually I buy a barrel and reamer and then start building. I then buy piece parts as I go. This time I decided to buy all the parts and not start the build until I had all of them.

So in the first picture you can see all of my components, I will update this thread as I make progress . I am planning on documenting the whole process and will make a photo book to give to my kids when I give them the rifle. But this is a hobby/fun project so the build will take a while.

Anyway, I wanted to share it with all of you.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
is it done yet?...

just one pic...

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Her is my first installment of progress. I was able to finish the barreling and chambering over the weekend. I tried a new technique for the threading and it did not work out so well. I ended up getting some chatter and I was not able to get it all cleaned up. So you can see some chatter marks in the threads. I think that it will be ok but it was a lesson. Anyway here are my steps.

1) Cut the tenon to size

2) Thread the barrel

3) Cut the relief for the body face. (Thanks guys for helping me with the measurements) Then cut the chamber

4) Assembly and check the fit (after measuring the headspace with a gauge and depth mic)

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel about it. Fun and satisfying. It's gonna be pretty.

One thing that I don't see is one of those PTG three-position safety/shrouds. Wink

Nice bottom metal, and pretty wood.

tu2

I've got a 7mm-08 project stashed and ready for final assembly too, also years in the making. I'll need the services of a gunsmith to finish mine.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
If I may ask,who profiled your stock ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys it took me a little while to figure out how to shrink the pictures.

Kabluewy,

Those safeties are really sexy, but I never use a safety (to me a safe gun is one that doesn’t have a round in the chamber) and I had already pulled the trigger on the stock when I found them, Maybe next time.

Kaboom,

The stock is from Richards Mocrofit and I am really happy with it. I like the profile and they did a really neat job with the semi inlet. It is not perfect but it is a really good starting point for a hobbyist like me.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/oldclassic.htm

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You're going to have a nice rifle there Brad. Keep us posted with your progress.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I am planning on documenting the whole process and will make a photo book to give to my kids when I give them the rifle.

Great idea, look forward to seeing this!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That stock is better than I would have expected from Richards. Very attractive wood at those prices. I think this could be a dandy light rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have not done a lot but today I decided to clean up the outside of the action. Here are a few before and after pictures. Next I will work on the inside of the action.

Before showing some of the scratches.

Getting started

Done for now (Tape covering up the serial number)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been really busy lately and have not have had much time to work on this project. But today I spent some time working on the bottom metal. I thought that it looked a little thick in the bow. So I narrowed it down a little.

Here is the original bow

Laying out the reference lines

Getting started with the filing

Done and ready for polishing.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
more pics please

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Brad, please post some more pics when you can, I love these sorts of buildaongs!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been traveling a lot lately so have not had much time to work on this project. I did have a few hours today to work on it. Here is an update.

I got the bottom metal inleted and taped it in place so I could use the holes to guide the inleting guide screws for the action. Sorry I forgot to take pics of the process.

Here are the guide screws attached to the action getting ready to inlet

I first scribed a line with a sharp chisel to do the rough inleting with a gouge and chisel.

After the rough inletting with the gouge was complete I started using lamp black and scrapers, gouges and chisels to slowly inlet the barrel and action.

I worked for about an hour then decided to be done for the day. If I work too long I get in a hurry and make mistakes, well I make more mistakes (I usually make some mistakes, that is why I do not do this for a living)

Here is a shot of my tools, Some were purchased for gunsmithing others were for general woodworking, some were bought just because I like tools and can never have enough.
The cases I made to hold them so they would not bang around in the drawers of my tool box.

Hope you guys are enjoying my project, I know that I enjoy watching others work on their projects,

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty dang nice Brad. It is coming together for you and should make a attractive and fine cary-rifle.

While there are the "masters" of the trade who turn out work which is beyond belief, most guns are turned out in the shops of amateurs who produce excellent and very seviceable rifles.

Your work looks very solid, to my untrained eye!
I look forward to following your progress to completion.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice Brad. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. And it's nice to see a custom build using a 700, a nice piece of wood, and the custom accessories.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love that "Gerber" lamp. Any patent infringement if I copy one?

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Mike,
I had planned on retiring from the revenue generated by this little invention but for the good of mankind I will make my “Gerber Lamp” Design public and open source. Big Grin Wink

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very informative Brad. I'd love to do a stock like that but I sure hate making expensive firewood.

BTW,I grew up in Lompoc and it's nice to see another central Cal guy here.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to do a stock of my own for quite a while now. This thread has dug those thoughts back up.

Great job from what I can see.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Come on Brad...more please...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well progress has been slow, I have to admit that I am not the most proficient at using the scraper. I work for a little while then stop so I don’t rush and really screw things up. I have made a few mistakes but so far I am happy with how it is coming along. Maybe when I retire I can go to gunsmithing school and find out how this is really supposed to be done. Until then I will just make mistakes and learn that way.

Anyway here is the latest. I have the inletting at about 90% complete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the inletting is at 90% so I am going to work on a few other things, cross bolts and ebony fore end tip before I finish the inletting.

This rifle will not be a heavy recoiling rifle but I feel that due the the cylindrical nature of the Remington 700 action cross bolts are a good idea. I am of the opinion that the cylindrical action acts as a wedge when the action screws are tightened and feel that cross bolts are a good precaution. I decided to go with ebony covered cross bolts as I feel that they fit the more modern style of this rifle.

Initial Layout of the placement with a square and a caliper.

I drilled the holes by hand then took it to the mill to counter bore for the cross bolts.

Here is the crossbolt inserted, it is just a #6 screw cut to size.

Here I am cutting a few plugs on the drill press with a plug cutter.

Here are the plugs inserted, in the second picture you can see the screw thread. That will get covered with bedding material, Richards removed more wood that necessary in this area and I am going to fill it back in with bedding.

Then I put a few clamps on it to hold everything together while the epoxy dries. I will post a picture of the finished work when it dries and I have dressed it down.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent some time working on this project this morning. Here is a picture of the ebony plugs dressed down to the stock, I applied some mineral spirits because I was curious about what the wood would look like when finished. I am happy with how it turned out.

Then I worked on finishing the back cross bolt. I first applied 10 mil tape to the back of the magazine box so I would have clearance once the bedding material hardened. Then coated it all in mold release, assembled it and then added bedding compound to the area where the screw was exposed.

I overfilled it with bedding and will dress it down flush with the wood once it hardens, well that is the plan anyway....

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Keep them coming...and love the caliber...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the kind words, I get a kick out of your signature everytime you post. tu2

Funny what you learn on the Internet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking good! I'm getting close to bedding stage on mine, that always has a pucker factor, hoping you can get it all apart Wink

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some time off work so I decided to work on this Project a little. First I dressed down the bedding material that I used to fill in the missing wood near the rear cross bolt.

The I started working on the ebony tip. I laid out the stock and cut it to length. Wow it is a weird feeling to cut a big piece of the stock off! I felt like I was destroying it.

Once cut I marked and drilled the holes for the dowels. You can see that I got a little indecisive by all the layout marks.

I then used dowel transfer punches to mark the ebony tip for drilling.

From there I went to the drill press to drill the holes.

I then coated the tip in Acetone to draw out the oil so I could get a good bond. This was done several times and wiped with paper towels to remove the oil.

The parts were coated with black dyed epoxy, assembled and clamped

I decided to use “extra time” epoxy this time because I always panic when gluing things. I am paranoid that it will set up while I am still working on it. The extra time just makes the whole process more enjoyable. The added benefit is that the epoxy has more time to soak into the pores of the wood. So that should give it a stronger bond. Well that is my theory anyway.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice, Brad! FWIW, I believe the "long set" expoxies are stronger than the quick cures.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of walnut. I am patiently awaiting the application of finish.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
Here is a shot of my tools, Some were purchased for gunsmithing others were for general woodworking, some were bought just because I like tools and can never have enough.
The cases I made to hold them so they would not bang around in the drawers of my tool box.

Hope you guys are enjoying my project, I know that I enjoy watching others work on their projects,Brad

Brad, I laud you for having the wisdom and forethought to make or purchase your tool rolls! These are perhaps the very best method of keeping edged tools both available and protected.

I have 3 large ones (8-12 pockets); one for larger metal files, another for wood files/rasps and a third for wood scrapers/chisels. Now I need 3 more since my tool collection has grown so much.

Please keep up the good work!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
just gets better lookin each time...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,
I made them after I chipped a scraper in a drawer. I actually vacillate between wood dividers and tool rolls. Here is a picture of the front of my tool roll where I embossed my initials into it and one of my drawers with wood dividers. I am cheap and do not like to buy tools more than once so I try to take care of them.

Today I shaped the fore end tip a little. First I started by marking the cutting lines with a scribe the putting some powdered chalk into the lines so they were more visible.

Then off to the band saw to cut some of the bulk off.

From there it is a Plane, Files and Sandpaper to get the shape to match.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really cool pics of the work on the ebony tip beer

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
So that is how that is done...nice

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent a little more time on the tip today and got the rest of the tip shaped. I found the to be plane really useful in the shaping. The plane made it easy to keep the lines and it cut the ebony really well. I started cutting the barrel channel. Got about 1/2 way and then I got tired. I will pick it up later tonight or tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have just uncovered a problem...look how clean his garage floor is in the various photos....that's blasphemy

Mike