THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy Independence Day Everyone.

I have the day off so between taking the Kids to the Local Parade, 4th of July Festival and the Fireworks tonight I spent a little time in the garage shaping the fore end tip. Here are my results, needs some more work but I think that it is good for rough shaping.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
Happy Independence Day Everyone.

I have the day off so between taking the Kids to the Local Parade, 4th of July Festival and the Fireworks tonight I spent a little time in the garage shaping the fore end tip. Here are my results, needs some more work but I think that it is good for rough shaping.

Rounding the tip is always the toughest for me! I used a 3/4" radius router bit last time and did a jig so the rifle stock was point straight down, perpendicular to the router table.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea it is still not completely right. But I have some shaping to do on the stock so I think that it is good enough for rough shape. I struggle with it and have never done one that I am completely satisfied with.

I did one with a router bit once, but my tooling was not that good and it ended up going astray. I was able to salvage it and it came out really nice. But it put me off the router for a bit. The nice thing about the file is that you can take your time. I used a spoke shave for some of it, but it started to splinter the end grain so I went back to the Rasp.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me...

Are you going to checker it yourself?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There are a lot of things that I can do myself. But checkering is not one of them. I have tried it and I am miserable at it. Someday I hope to learn the art but I am not holding my breath!

So I will be sending it to someone to checker, I am not sure who yet.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have heard good things I about this guy...

http://www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks, I had not heard about him. I liked one of the patterns on his website and am e mailing back and forth with him about checkering my 35 Whelen. We will see how that goes and if it goes well I may have him do my 7mm-08

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Clint for the checkering on my .375 stock project and was very happy with the results. Good communication, great work and fair pricing.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The patented Gerber lamp was brought out once again to finish up the barrel channel inletting. It is now ready for the pillar bedding.

The bottom metal sat a little high so I took this time to machine it out a little on the mill.

When getting ready to pillar bed the receiver I realized that I did not have a piloted drill to drill the clearance holes. When I looked online I found that they cost $50. Being fiscally conservative (my wife says cheap) I decide to make one instead. I took a piece of aluminum rod to make the pilot then used a spade bit to make the cutter. I drilled into the pilot with a pilot drill then the spade bit and then glued them together with JB weld. I held the whole thing in the lathe to keep it centered while the glue dried.

The package of JB weld says that it can be used to fix broken tractor axles and engine blocks. So surely it will work for a pilot. We will see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about fixing engine blocks and tractor axles, but it did hold the pilot of my drill. Here are a few shots of me drilling the holes for the pillars and then the pillars on the action. This is a set from Score High and I really like the way that they mount to the barrel action for bedding.

I have a little work to make some reliefs for the bedding material then I will do the pillar bedding.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
You're a better man than me using a hand drill for those holes! Mine would definitely be off! I have to use a drill press.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
You're a better man than me using a hand drill for those holes! Mine would definitely be off! I have to use a drill press.

Nah not really, I drilled it from both sides and then let the pilot keep it centered. The pilot really did all the work. I just had to keep the drill somewhat centered. The key is go slow and check it often

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
We all expect an update on Sunday night...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to say that the bedding process went smoothly, but it was a train wreck! I have bedded a few rifles but this was the first pillar bedding job that I have done. The pillars make it a one shot deal. Meaning that the receiver, pillars and bottom metal are all bedded at one time.

Given that I had not done this before I spent a lot of time reading the really good instructions (power point presentation) that score high supplied. It advocated overfilling all the receiver recesses. This would probably be OK if you had big gaps between the receiver and stock. But with fairly close inletting it causes a problem.

I did as instructed and it was a disaster, too much bedding material and no where for it to go, because of the close inletting it could not flow out. I had to pull it apart and remove material. By the time I was done I had bedding material everywhere.

In the end it came out OK, But I learned a lesson. Oh well I guess I will know for next time.

Here is everything prepped the first time, about 3 times as much bedding compound as needed.

After I seperated the metal from the stock

And after a little clean up

I still have some more clean up to do, but that is what I have so far. Didn't want to let Mike down......

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Looks like it turned out ok...love the progress photos

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that everything is bedded it is time to start doing the detail work of the stock.

It is difficult to see from the pictures but the receiver was about 1/8” below the wood in the ejection port. So I removed the wood so it was flush. After I get the sides of the stock to final shape I will file some more out of the ejection port to add a little decorative detail but this is it for now.

Before

After

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little update, I have spent a little time cleaning up the stock. I got rid of the hump in the top of the grip and shaved down the raised area on the side of the receiver where the bolt stop would be on a Mauser. Next I will work on the grip cap then open up the grip a little to fit my hand better.

Nothing real exciting but I figured I would give an update anyway.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work. How do you determine the size and angle of the grip cap? I always have trouble with that and just play around with it until it looks about right to me.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trademark,

I have played around a little and found a cap that has the right size to make the grip comfortably fit in my hand.

For the angle I decided to set the angle on this stock so that if you put a straight edge on the grip cap mounting surface the straight edge would line up with the top tip of the recoil pad (when the pad is installed). I think that this geometry gives a nice modern look for this rifle. I have seen them where a straight edge would line up from 1.5 inches in front of the pad on the top of the butt stock to ½ an inch down the pad. I guess it is just personal preference.

Here are a few pictures of me machining the surface for the grip cap on my mill. My fixture is a little red neck but it worked.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You really think you can get away with just what you posted above for our weekend fix

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really like to put wood screws directly into the stock for a few reasons. 1) it makes it difficult to time the screws so they are “north and south” 2) It is an area where the bare wood is exposed, so moisture and oil can get in to the wood. I like to seal the wood up the best that I can.

So I am making brass inserts for all the items that attach to the stock (grip cap and swivel studs). These are made out of 1/4-20 brass screws from Home Depot. I cut them to length then drilled and taped them for the screws that came with the grip cap and then I will bond them into the stock with epoxy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent some more time working on it tonight and got the grip cap mounted. Here it is getting laid out, drilled then glued in place.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Lookin better every day...I assume you are planning a pig trip to break it in?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I continue to be impressed with your abilities and attention to detail.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have not shot a pig in years. I used to shoot them all the time but I no longer have access to the ranch that I used to hunt on. I will probably use it for deer season next year. I would like to start shooting pigs again though.

Woodhits,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Posting my work on here is a little intimidating. It is like showing up at the Louvre with a crayon drawing, there are so many talented professionals that post on this site that truly are artisans.But I have learned a lot from the posters here and wanted to give back the best that I could.

I am just a hobbyist that tries my best not to screw things up. The encouragement and interest make it worth wile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every time someone posts one of these Build-alongs, I learn some alternate way of doing something. I'm glad you did this and hope some others will do so in the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read quite a few articles/book chapters about mounting grip caps. They all seem to be the same, a lot of pictures about layout and mounting. Then they tell you to file and sand to shape. I always struggled with the file and sand to shape part. I wondered what is the method? How do you keep the lines straight? I have no idea how the pros do it but here is my approach.

I start by filing flats down to within 1/8” of the cap. I make sure that the flats carry up the grip so the grip lines are parallel and not tapered in at the cap. Then I file more flats in-between the flats that I just filed. The grip will start to take a faceted shape. After I get the faceted shape and it is close to the cap I blend the facets by knocking off the ridges between the facets.

Here are a few pictures of the progress.

First flats filed

Adding more flats and smoothing out

I still have to shape the back and do the final sanding but it is really close.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nice...looking good

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super nice, Brad. And your pics are great.

I'd like to see this thread become a "sticky".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I have been filing and sanding away in the garage this evening. I have been cleaning up the area around the tang. Here is my latest progress.

What I started with

Part Way

Getting there

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
now that tang is looking much better...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hope you don't think you got this weekend off...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, No I did not take the weekend off. Just came in from the garage now. I can only file and sand so long then I get sore. It is hell getting old!

I worked on more shaping and sanding today. I finished the shaping the tang then moved on to finish up the ejector port shaping. Then I sanded the right side of the stock down to 220 grit paper. I couldn't resist putting on some mineral spirits to see what the stock would look like. I am really happy with how it is coming out.

Here is the finished tang

The ejector port

Adding some fangs

Filing in the flat

The lighting was getting bad, but you get the idea

A coat of mineral spirits

Next I will work on the other side of the butstock.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yep...this thread is a lot of fun...one of my favorites...shaping up really nice.

Your kids are very lucky...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love this thread. The rifle is beginning to look really nice. Can't wait to see the finished stock.

The price of knowledge is great but the price of ignorance is even greater.

Posts: 777 | Location: Socialist Republic of California | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Brad, I'm really impressed with this project of yours.

One thing that I've definately learned, stop bitching about how much gunsmithing costs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Brad, your project is a joy to behold; and your kids are getting a gift beyond all compare!

Blessings!

friar

p.s. if you ever do go into "semi-professional" smithing, you'd certainly have my business!

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am glad other people are enjoying my project.

I have really enjoyed doing it and sharing it with you. If it wasn't for Mike pushing me to post every week. This project would probably take twice as long. Unless I get hit by a truck I will post progress until it is complete.

Thanks again for the kind words and interest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great project. Good photos. Nice work.

popcorn

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey just because its opening day doesn't mean you get the weekend off...

We expects pics tomorrow

Mike