THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Great thread! Side note barnes tsx like alot of jump. Try seating them .040 to .050 off the lands... I found 42.0grs h4895, fed 210, 120gr tsx bt, seated at 2.805 shoots lights out in my daughters 7-08... Another good one is 44.0grs of RL15, cci 200, 140gr tsx bt seated at 2.805.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Its funny there was no wind this morning and my groups were worse. So apparently it actually helped.

Patrick,

I would send it to Scotland today but a gun that shoots this bad would be no good for shooting Roe Deer as they are far to small you would never be able to hit them. Muntjack, not a chance! It might work for big Red Deer but I would not want to have you exposed to the ticks of the highlands, so I better just keep it here....

I could send it to be used as an anchor for your sailboat..... Big Grin

It's funny I am left handed and left eye dominant but my father tough me to shoot right handed and I am really grateful as I have more options for rifle actions. Come on over to the dark side!

Thanks I will give that a try, I have not had good luck with the Barnes bullets.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, thanks for your concerns and saving me from the ravages of highland ticks.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
Great thread! Side note barnes tsx like alot of jump. Try seating them .040 to .050 off the lands... I found 42.0grs h4895, fed 210, 120gr tsx bt, seated at 2.805 shoots lights out in my daughters 7-08... Another good one is 44.0grs of RL15, cci 200, 140gr tsx bt seated at 2.805.

This was the rosetta stone for me! I could not get the Barnes bullets to shoot until I started seating them deeper. This same load shot 1.5-2” groups with the bullets just off the lands. Then when I seated them ~.050” off the lands this is what I get.

Thanks!

I have noticed that the copper bullets seem to copper foul more than the lead core. So I have to clean more to keep the groups down. I am finally happy with the performance of this rifle. Now to go shoot something.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Can't complain TOO much about that - they're NEARLY all in the same hole. Wink

A beauty, and it shoots like it looks.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this thread that you linked somewhere else. Very nice project! Thanks for sharing it with us.

quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
I wanted to do some work on the bolt and firing pin but I did not have a dis assembly tool. So I cobbled this together and I have to say that it worked really well.

I just thought I'd mention that a Bic pen works for this too (I see you know the penny trick already). All you do is unscrew the pin assembly, cut about 1/2" off the back end of a Bic pen, drop that over the tip of the firing pin, then screw it back into the bolt. Basically you add a spacer in front of the pin, then use the bolt as the fixture to compress the spring and expose the cocking piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, great shooting. I like the whole look. I would be very happy to own that rifle.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote