THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No pictures but a brief update. The metal has been sent off to a fellow board member to have my name and caliber engraved. The wood is getting boxed up and will be sent out to get checkered on Monday.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
Mike,

Thanks, I had not heard about him. I liked one of the patterns on his website and am e mailing back and forth with him about checkering my 35 Whelen. We will see how that goes and if it goes well I may have him do my 7mm-08

This is a little off topic but we talked about it earlier in this thread, I got some pictures of the checkering on my 35 Whelen today. It is on its way back to me right now.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to those of you who do this beautiful work. This example for some reason is very attractive. Simple crisp lines, looks great. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Only discovered this thread today, which is nice - I haven't spent nearly as much time in suspense as the rest of the guys.

Lovely job, sir.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just found it as well. You have put together a beautiful rifle friend.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not posted an update in a while because my metalwork was off getting my name and caliber engraved and my stock was off getting checkered. I got my metal back this week and thanks to CAS II here on the boards it has my name and caliber engraved on it. I think that it looks a lot nicer than my traditional stamp method.

Anyway on to the pictures

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Looking good...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done Sir, Well Done.
I read a lot of build threads when I can find them. Great job on both the thread and the work. Makes me want to build a wood stocked blued rifle instead of my usual cerrocoat fiberglass builds.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Amazing!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the lines of the stock. Excellent work! The a very things more pleasing in life than the successful completion of a exemplary firearm project such as this.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys!

In November I sent my stock off to John and Jennifer Reese at Custom Diamonds to have it checkered and I got it back today. I am really happy with the job that they did. I chose one of the standard patterns from their website. They did 22lpi and got it back to me really quickly. Reasonable price, quick turnaround and good work, I recommend them to anyone looking to have some checkering done.

www.customdiamonds.biz

On to my pics

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle friend. Well done.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice. One suggestion, cold rust blue rather than a hot blue job. That rifle deserves it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great thread. I love the step by step how to's. You did a great job.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to do some work on the bolt and firing pin but I did not have a dis assembly tool. So I cobbled this together and I have to say that it worked really well.

After I smoothed up the firing pin and made sure that nothing was binding in the firing pin assembly, I decided to jewel (engine turn) the Bolt. I know that it is kind of out of style but I like jeweled bolts and it is my rifle. I chose a 1/4” dia jewel with it overlapping by ½ the diameter.

Here are the pics.

Starting Point

A little polishing

Set up in the mill for Jeweling

Final result (it is really hard to take a picture of jeweling)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a jeweled bolt myself, and that looks Great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't frequented this section of the forums much in the past, but I stumbled onto your thread here one day and have since been watching the updates with straight-up admiration. Your work looks superb, but your ingenuity in utilizing your shop tools like the lathe, milling machine, etc, is equally impressive, to my mind.

Oh, and great choice of caliber, too! Your kids will learn to shoot with it because it's easy on recoil, and hopefully they'll keep shooting it (or get their own) when they learn it's good enough for most stuff that doesn't bite back.

Two thumbs up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, I was originally a little reluctant to post my project because there are so many masters of the trade on this forum and I am really just an amateur hacking my way through. I make mistakes but I enjoy working with my hands and there is something really satisfying in making my own guns.

I am glad that I did because it is nice to see all the kind words and interest. Hopefully others will learn from some of the things I am doing.

Thanks guys!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Brad, Thanks...Thats why I like this forum. We have people here that will share how they do the job and its interesting to see someones take on a subject and make it there own and be slightly diffrent then anothers. I'm glad this didnt turn into a pissing match and watched from go to now...again I enjoyed this and Thank you for your time and posts. I like the jeweled bolt.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice...what's left? blueing?

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Very nice...what's left? blueing?

Yep, just finished the final polishing and am now ready to ship it out for blueing. Should be shooting it soon.

I hope that I can buy brass with all the suppliers getting overwhelmed with orders!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

If you can't find any brass, let me know. I will send you some to get you started. You can replace it when supply becomes available.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
Thanks for the kind words guys!

In November I sent my stock off to John and Jennifer Reese at Custom Diamonds to have it checkered and I got it back today. I am really happy with the job that they did. I chose one of the standard patterns from their website. They did 22lpi and got it back to me really quickly. Reasonable price, quick turnaround and good work, I recommend them to anyone looking to have some checkering done.

www.customdiamonds.biz

On to my pics

I sent my 8x57 Mannlicher stock to the same folks today for checkering. And a horn butt plate off of another rifle.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my parts back from Blueing, I know that many prefer to cold rust blue and if this was a traditional mauser I would do the same. But on a modern rifle with more progressive lines I prefer the durability of hot blue.

I made this little fixture to hold the screws while blueing so I made sure I knew where they went when I got them back. I did not spend all that time getting the screws timed to give up now.

Here are the parts installed, I am happy with the way they came out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gun photographer I am not and I struggled with taking pictures of the finished product but here are a few that I snapped off. The pictures do not do justice to the wood, the mineral streaking is much more predominant that the pictures show.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Brad, that is such a beautiful rifle, and so well executed, it is truly and heirloom piece you and your family can be proud of for generations to come!

If you ever would consider doing custom work - whether on the side or full time - I'd stand in line and pay good money for your work!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Brad - excellent work and beautiful rifle!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nifty! Now what are we going to do for a winter project?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding effort Brad, well done.

I wouldn't imagine you are, but I'm sorta sad that this project has ended, it's been a very enjoyable journey.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Brad

You truely are one very talented individual.

I have only just seen this thread and I have enjoyed it immensely.

The effort you have put into this project is incredible. I think you deserve a medal and I would say if there was ever a winning thread on this forum then this should be it.

Fabulous effort. I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with load development Big Grin

Kind regards

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Quote "I am planning on documenting the whole process and will make a photo book to give to my kids when I give them the rifle."

Thanks for the ride, I enjoyed it. Nice looking rifle ...your kids are lucky to have a dad like you!

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words guys I really appreciate it.

The project is not over yet, now I have to get it to shoot. I spent the last few days reviewing reloading data and selecting powders to try. Fortunately I have a pretty good selection so I am starting with a few that I have and will see if it likes any of them. The first round is starting loads to see if the rifle wants to shoot and if it seems to have a preference. Then I will do more refinement with load,seating, primers, ect.

I will be cleaning often as I break in the barrel so the first round wont be that telling but it should give me some idea of what it likes.

The wind has already kicked up today so I am not going down to the range today, maybe tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it goes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, gotta ask, what's up with that powder trickler in the background? It looks like a fish. How about a pic of that.
BTW, I've shot a bunch of H-414 through my 7-08.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It's been gorgeous in CA...I know you went to the range...let's see some target photos.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Where are the range photos...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been sunny here, but it has also been really windy. I have been down to the range a few times and have finally started to refine the loads. The rifle shoots 130gr and 168 gr lead bullets well. But I have struggled to get the Barnes bullets to shoot under 1.5”, Today I tried the Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip and am seeing better results from that. It was windy today but I was still able to get a respectable group out of the Nosler bullet with IMR 4350

I will keep working on it. Here are some pictures from my range and the target from today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
Okay, gotta ask, what's up with that powder trickler in the background? It looks like a fish. How about a pic of that.
BTW, I've shot a bunch of H-414 through my 7-08.

It's a Cobra head, I will post a picture of it for you next time I upload pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah...that group is just terrible because of the wind...smart@ss Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, clearly that rifle is a heap of junk. No chance of hitting anything with it as the three shots don't touch. I would ask you to leave it with me when you come across to Scotland, but you like 95% of other gunmakers don't know the correct side for the bolt handle. And why haven't you painted over all that nasty bluing with cammo colours. And what's with all this wood - that's only for biofuel these days isn't it? And for uk stalking you need to thread the barrel and stick a 2kg moderator on the end and a massive bipod on the stock and oversize bolt handle! I am sure I could use it as a boat anchor or something!!!!

Seriously that's a lovely rifle.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote