ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Trophy Bull and tuskless cow elephant, CM Safaris, Dande Safari Area, video added.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Bull and tuskless cow elephant, CM Safaris, Dande Safari Area, video added.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates: April 16-May 3 2014

Species sought: Trophy bull and tuskless cow elephant.

Species taken: As above plus zebra.

Professional hunter: Buzz Charlton, Charlton MacCallum safaris.

Videographer: Justin Drainer

Driver and trackers: Eddy, Criton and Nyati

I always swore I would never spend what it takes to hunt elephant. Then I hunted tuskless in 2009 with Buzz at Makuti, and everything changed. I then swore I would only ever spend the money it took to hunt a bull once. I hunted a bull in the Valley in 2011. It wasn’t enough. Since I was to turn 60 this year, I decided I owed myself a big present, so I booked a trophy bull/tuskless hunt, again with CMS for this year.

It turned out this was the hunt I’ve been getting ready for my whole life. I have been very fortunate to have progressed in an orderly fashion. I would not have been prepared to conduct myself in the situations that presented themselves on this hunt without having managed the earlier hunts, and I would not have been able to conduct myself well on those prior hunts without a lot of help and support.

I will apologize for not resizing the pictures to be smaller, but Photobucket is not behaving very well for me. Let’s just say it is being recalcitrant, and let it go at that.

My long suffering wife Sue accompanied me, since I promised there would be no bait can after last year’s leopard hunt. I don’t think I could afford that much jewelry. We flew United from Minneapolis to Dulles, and then connected to SAA to JoBerg, and on to Harare. Buzz’s sister-in-law Jackie met us at the airport and drove us to Buzz and Stephie’s house for the night. Here is a photo of Jackie and Stephie with the two youngest Charltons, Jessica and Zoe.

We elected to drive to camp, about five hours from Harare. We stopped to provision some fresh veg at a farm on the outskirts.

Last year we chartered into camp, because luggage policies would have cost a lost hunting day, and it was convenient. I still enjoy seeing some country and meeting some people. Besides, how else would we get those wonderful little bananas?

We got to camp about 1500, shot the rifles, and continued to reset our clocks. The first hunting day was largely spent like any first day of an elephant hunt, driving around, looking for tracks, and evaluating elephant movement. It was a good time, back in the high seat, seeing much of the concession. The DSA is very big, about 500,000 acres. There is a lot of thick jess, but not as thick in most areas as Dande East. A lot less thorn, too, which I appreciated.

There are some lovely pans, and there seemed to be a fair bit of groundwater, a couple of months after the rain stopped.

The first day we found a magnificent track, and found it again all over the concession. He was everyplace at once, no chance to see him.

The second day, we got onto a track, about 18 inches with decent wear. Eighteen is a fair sized track for the Valley. We started following about nine, and caught the elephant about one or so. Tracking was pretty interesting, because we were following three bulls, but they were mixing in and out of a big cow herd. The biggest bull was estimated to be 30-35 pounds. He turned to face us from about 50 yards, fanned his ears, and blustered for a moment before he and his mate buggered off. Since I had booked a tuskless, we decided to follow the herd. Wow. The jess was thick, and it was a big herd. We never saw more than one or two at a time, but between the branches breaking, rumbling and trumpeting, it was obviously a lot of animals. The consensus seemed to be several dozen. They were so close, I could not only hear the rumbling, but feel it in my feet. There were bulls with the herd, chasing cows around, which made things a little unstable. We made a few tactical retreats before we spotted a tuskless. We spent the next hour or so trying to stay on the periphery of the herd, and trying to keep them upwind. The trackers did an amazing job.
Buzz and I saw the tuskless. She was with another couple of cows, maybe 50 yards away across a small, relatively open area. There was no dependent calf. We decided to shoot her, and started on a nearly parallel course, attempting to intersect for a possible side brain shot. Showtime.
At about twenty five yards distance, she turned toward us. There were enough branches in front of her that there was no clear shot. It didn’t seem like anything in particular was going on to me, but Buzz told me “Get your gun ready, she may come!” About two seconds later, I could tell something was going to happen, and about a half second after that it did. There was no bluster, no screaming, just a silent head down charge from a cow clearly bent on mischief. I waited for her head to clear some branches as Buzz said “Okay!” She stepped into the open, and her head stopped bouncing up and down as Buzz said “Okay!!!” the second time. The shot materialized, I pulled the front trigger, and she went down like she was slapped by the hand of God. Rapid reload, and we beat a hasty retreat, as there were a LOT of other elephant around.
I think she was so troublesome the other elephant didn't much care for her either, as they just decided to book.
After about five minutes of waiting and congratulating one another we approached her. She died about nine paces from where we had stood. My paces, not hers.
It had been my first charge, and while I had never wished for one, now that it was over and managed so well, I am glad of the experience. There was a lot of luck involved. It was an elephant we had already decided to kill. My gun was already mounted when she came. The last 15 or so yards she had to cross were open.
Only one elephant charged.

I had shot about 1530, and the recovery team arrived about an hour later. They were on a mission. After a few more photos, the work commenced. I still haven’t found out what these nasty flies are called officially, Buzz and Justin call them "Chewore Buzzers.” If they can pierce elephant hide, what chance have we?

The 470 Woodleigh solid had entered the head, exited under the jaw, and penetrated into the chest, above the collar bone. The ear was full of frothy lung blood from the chest wound.

Much of the recovery was after dark, by Cruiser headlights. Since I had shot her on the 17th, and the Zimbabwean independence festival was the next day, the kill was pretty well timed.

We now had 16 days to shoot our bull. We got onto another big track the next day, day three. We followed that bull for four days without ever seeing him. We tracked at speed for as much as 8 1/2 hours. We were walking 15 km per day, as the crow flies, which is not how an elephant walks. We had enough days to spend several trying to see this bull, but after four days of tracking he crossed out of the safari area and into Chewore. We never saw where he rested, and only saw where he had fed once. One day we bumped a cow herd near the road with the Cruiser, and found his track a few hundred yards farther up the road. We followed him for four hours, only to be led back to the spot where we had bumped the cows. He simply hadn’t yet crossed the road when we had passed. That is as close as we got to seeing him.
We did see a lot of beautiful country, and spent about an hour watching and photographing a cow herd we happened to encounter at a pan.

After not seeing that bull, Justin did something to change my luck. Apparently, the seeds of the pod mahogany will bring you luck, but you must carry three of them. These are my three.

We found another track well worth following the very next day, day nine. The big track was 22 inches, very large for the Valley, with good wear. We got on the track about 0730, and tracked, mostly at speed, until we caught three bulls about 1400. One of the bulls was clearly much bigger than the other two, and he was a single tusker. That tusk looked damn fine to me. Buzz asked me if I would take a single tusker, and my response was an unqualified “Yes.” I had already had nine days of the best elephant hunting I have ever done, had my charge, and was looking at a bull that more than impressed me. They had busted us when we saw them. We followed, and bumped them a couple more times when we decided to stop chasing them and try again the next morning. We broke off about 1630.
We found his track the next morning, about 0730. We again tracked at speed. About 1030, we cut a road, and Buzz radioed Eddy to meet us with the Cruiser. We had sandwiches and a lot of water. It was HOT.

By about noon, we were getting close. The turds were glistening. We found a spot where they had lay down. The best guess was that they had lain up in the heat of the day, the sun and shade shifted, and they had moved on. We were following the bull we wanted, a second bull, and a third that was with them at times. It was obvious we were getting close, obvious even to me.
Nyati saw them first. He saw the back of an elephant, laying down, fast asleep. The wind was a bit dicey, but we managed to get to about 15 yards from a sleeping elephant, and stood there listening to him snoring and farting, occasionally flapping one gigantic ear. We couldn’t see his head, as it was behind a termite mound. Was this our bull? We were pretty sure, but…
Nyati climbed a tree, silently, 15 yards from a sleeping elephant and his comrade. After a couple of minutes, he could see the single large tusk, and gave a thumbs up. We still had no plan for a final approach. Due to the wind, a big termite mound, and a second elephant, we had no way of getting around to the front. Buzz and I stood as close as 5 yards from him, looking for an approach. Neither of us wanted to sneak up and spine him between the shoulder blades, although that would have been possible. Finally we retreated to about a dozen yards, and waited for him to stand up. Buzz had warned me that when they get up, they get up really fast. You simply can’t believe that an animal north of six tons can gain his feet that quickly. It was a whole lot faster than me trying to get my 195 pounds up off the ground.
Buzz had asked me if I was willing to take a heart/lung shot if that was what presented. I whispered that I would if that was what was needed. After all, John Taylor said of that shot that “it is not to be despised.”
After about ten minutes, the bull rolled up off his side, and stood. He was perfectly broadside, a dozen yards away. He was as big as a house. I still had no clear shot, until he took a step forward, and his ear-hole appeared through a hole in the brush. I was able to put one in his ear-hole, and he collapsed the way a brain shot elephant does. He rolled downhill over on his side, the way he had been sleeping, and all four feet were shaking. I put a couple of insurance shots into his chest, and it was quiet.
This was the foot that made the track we had followed.

Although I consider this pose a bit silly, it does give some size perspective. I’m 6’3”.

By the time I shot him, it was about 1400, so the recovery road would be cut in the morning, and the elephant butchered for meat distribution.

Here is a photo of Criton and Nyati at the recovery.

Criton and his brother.

Nyati.

Eddy, smiling as ever.

Justin setting up a time lapse of the goings on.

The bush telegraph let out word of the kill, and a number of uninvited guests showed up. I wish the clowns at USFWS could see how desperate these people are for meat.

These elephant gave me the best hunting experience of my life, ably assisted by Buzz and the very professional staff at CMS. Another in a string of top-notch CMS safaris.
We’d had ten days of leaving at first light, pounding all day, and returning to camp after dark.

We now had eight days to be on vacation. I wanted a zebra for a rug, so we spent four days tracking zebra, almost a mini elephant hunt. I shot a mare with my 375 H&H. I did not realize, but shooting a mare is easier on the herd, as taking out the stallion is far more disruptive. Apparently it’s kind of like shooting a pride lion, with the new stallion killing his predecessor’s colts.

Mostly, we goofed off. Buzz’s wife, Stephanie and their two daughters joined us in camp for the last few days. It was delightful, and between them, Sue, and Kathy the camp manager, we didn’t spend all our time in a fog of testosterone.

We spent a day boating on the Zambezi, with Justin as our tour guide. It was wonderful.

We saw a lot of hippo, Sue’s favorite.

And what visit to the Zambezi would be complete without monster Crocs?

All too soon it was time to go home.

We spent a couple of days in Harare before flying home. It was pretty interesting seeing Patrick Mavros’ studio, and meeting him. He is a sculptor doing mostly casting in silver, and an elephant and ivory aficionado. Quite the raconteur as well. He started as an ivory carver, and has quite a lot.

We had the pleasure of dining with Buzz and Steph, Justin and his girlfriend Tammy, and Richard and Brita Harland. It was a joy to see Richard and Brita again. They are doing very well, indeed.

We saw the Zimbabwe National Archive in Harare. It’s worth going, even if only to see Selous' four bore. No photos allowed inside, but here are Sue and I with our old friend, Cecil John Rhodes.

Before closing, I wanted to put in a word for the Dande Anti-Poaching Unit. Please check them out on the CMS website. They are doing great work, and need our support.

http://cmsafaris.com./african-...de-anti-poaching.htm

Here are a couple of photos of DAPU guys.

This is a detail of one of their Lee-Enfields.

Now I will indulge myself and post a few pictures I just plain like.

This is the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen. WTF?

I couldn’t help trying for the Ian Nyschens look.

You may provide your own caption.

We were handing out Jolly Ranchers to kids. We thought this sekuru needed some as well.

Rob, this is for you.

Eddie’s store.

My tusk!

Unofficial weight.

Justin Timbersnake?

Mantis in the loo.

The expression “hunt of a lifetime” is overused. If two more wonderful elephant hunts are possible, I can’t wait. I hope these aren’t my last elephant, but if they are, I can rest easily knowing it can’t get any better.
This was my third elephant safari, and elephant numbers four and five. That doesn’t qualify me as an expert on hunting elephant, but gives me plenty of perspective to know how lucky I am, and how good the people are that made this happen for me.
There is an old joke. Why are divorces so expensive? Because they are worth it. This applies to elephant hunts as well.

Video link, cow charge and sleeping bull.
http://youtu.be/WUeoddP8yKo

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats - thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and the CM team on a wonderful safari!
the photo's speak a thousand words.

Cant wait to get back there myself in a few months time to chase ele.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report! Some very nice photos. Congrats on a great hunt.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Marty. Looks like it was a tremendous hunt and experience. We leave in four weeks for our "dagga boy" hunt and quite looking forward to it. Well done!

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Marty. Congrats on the great animals but more so for the incredible experience.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT-EXCELLENT-EXCELLENT Marty!!!

I enjoyed every minute of your report and outstanding photos!!!

Congrats to you and Sue and Buzz's Team!!! WOW...Spectacular!!! clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report Marty! Some fantastic photos there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, every word and every photo.
Thanks for sharing

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

CMS does a heckuva job. I enjoyed hunting their areas last year.

Really nice pics and narrative, I enjoyed it, thanks!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty, Great report. wish I would have known you where going to see Patrick. I would have sent one of my mild mannered greeting to him for you to deliver for me rotflmo Last time I saw him was in Nairobi at the grand opening of his new store here. I kind of crashed the party Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HendrikNZ:
Fantastic, every word and every photo.
Thanks for sharing

+1

Congrats!

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The expression “hunt of a lifetime” is overused. If two more wonderful elephant hunts are possible, I can’t wait. I hope these aren’t my last elephant, but if they are, I can rest easily knowing it can’t get any better.
This was my third elephant safari, and elephant numbers four and five. That doesn’t qualify me as an expert on hunting elephant, but gives me plenty of perspective to know how lucky I am, and how good the people are that made this happen for me.

This report made a great start on my week at the office. Your quote here says it all. Thanks for sharing and Congratulations!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great photos and hunt!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures, love the pink mantid. Great report, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good report.Good shooting on both ele.How did you like hunting with the Searcy? Very nice Zebra-well deserved.Thanks for posting the pics.The young one looks alot like Buzz!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
great report, thanks for sharing with us.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic safari, and thanks for a very nice report and pictures Smiler

Torbjoern

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and letting us live through your footsteps and sear breaks...

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this fantastic adventure with us.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Marty! Thanks for the post.

I will be there right behind the Dugga boys.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Marty, Thank you for the great report and wonderful photos. Congratulations on a super hunt.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Glad you had the hunt of a lifetime. The report was very well written. You do a great job of telling a story with your photos. You also pulled the Ian Nyschens pose off well. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sorry we weren't able to meet up at Tambo....maybe next year.

All the best.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report ! And very nice pictures sir ! Congrats on a great hunt !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 Ah, the "lucky beans"! I carried four of them for my leopard hunt a few years ago and luck was on my side! Still have them in my display case at home. Man, Buzz, you've got some strong genes, brother, flowing through those two babies of yours! No mistaking whose kids they are!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty.

What a great report, what a " hunt of a lifetime " success so deserved. You write it so well.

Congratulations. I give Sue a high five, you can just buy her some more jewelry!

Best

Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos, thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! Really enjoyed the report and the photos.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and well done. Congratulations.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Thank you for taking the time to compile your report. Fantastic pictures and descriptions. I look forward to a similar journey next year.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and hunt. Love the pictures.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Great report. Love the photos. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine report and trophies. Really enjoyed the pic's as well. Cheers!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Marty
Great report of a fabulous hunt. I love your attitude to the whole thing.
Thanks for the picture of Criton in his shooting competition prize Tiger hat, I can't believe he still has it.( mind you, he did score an absolute bullseye )
I leave for the same place with Buzz in four weeks for a bull ele and buff. Only drawback is that we have to endure Mike Jines in camp at the same time.
Regards
Rob

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob, you are just angry that Buzz is charging you a premium to share my company in camp. Get over it.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Video link, cow charge and bull.

http://youtu.be/WUeoddP8yKo

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Marty! Thanks for the report and the terrific pics. It is good seeing old friends and I really enjoyed the pics of Steph and the little ones. The pic of Criton in the tiger hat made me LOL!

Well done!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and photos. A man that truly appreciates what was on offer.

Thank you for sharing that.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous report. Your enjoyment comes though with every word. Your pictures are also wonderful. The shots of the kids brought smiles to my face.
Well done!