THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mulie taken at 493 yards with a 6.5 Grendel M4 Carbine.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulie taken at 493 yards with a 6.5 Grendel M4 Carbine.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
My younger brother took this Mulie this last week with a 6.5 Grendel he built him self. Shooting Precision Firearms Ammo, loaded with the Nolser 120gr Ballistic Tip's in brass head stamped 6.5-LBC. The ammo is incredibly accurate out of his 16" M4 contour Alexander Arms barrel. The 2-7X Vortex scope with the BDC matches the ballistic of this load almost perfectly. The shot was broadside at 493 yards, he had a little more wind drift than anticipated and the bullet impacted center of the lungs about 6 inches out of the pocket. The ballistic tip did not hit a rib going in and completely passed through the buck at this distance.The buck tried to keep his feet under him for 30 seconds or so before he went down.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balistic reticles laser range finders make hitting at longer ranges a lot easier then in the past.

Good shot nice buck put a bullet through a deers lungs and they don't go far. At that range they don't even react to the sound of the shot.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
P Dog Shooter, you are correct. The buck had no idea what had just happened, he hardly even reacted to the hit and then down he went.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't personally take that shot.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Grendel is a bit puny for mule deer at that range IMO. 2200fps at the muzzle?

Energy at that range is around 600 ftlbs.

Might want to keep the shots under 150 yards, or just use it for coyotes...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't he get closer? Seems more like sniping than hunting.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That isn't hunting, it's just shooting. Sorry, but I just don't feel that it's very respectful to the game to take such a shot when the slightest movement on the part of the animal could result in a gut shot. Any animal worthy of pursuit should be respected, and I just don't see it in this instance.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
And here we go!
The last four posters condemning some one elses action, please leave the guy alone and congratulate him on a nice buck and obviously a nice shot.
I will, congrats SMACK! Nice buck and good shootin'
Some won't agree with your actions but I say good shootin'.
Tell the other spoil sports to "F" off. They do this sort of thing in about every post these days.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Why do we only see a “black rifle” and a dead deer’s face? More pictures please. Smiler LOL

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
nice looking rig

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting,Excellent deer, and Excellent rifle. Take these whining bitches with a grain of salt. They don't shoot past their 100 yard urban range. Thanks for posting.

Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, then, take the next shot at an even more ridiculous range, then maybe the animal will still be alive when you walk up to it, then you can fix a bayonet to the rifle, and REALLY go military wanna-be on it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is all hunting until it is time to pull the trigger then it is all shooting after that.

Again great shot great deer.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
And here we go!
The last four posters condemning some one elses action, please leave the guy alone and congratulate him on a nice buck and obviously a nice shot.
Tell the other spoil sports to "F" off. They do this sort of thing in about every post these days.

I have to agree completely. Never takes long for some to come out and impose their own limitations on others.

Nice buck, good shot, and a successful hunt. Congratulations are in order! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
It is all hunting until it is time to pull the trigger then it is all shooting after that.

Very well said!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your brother!

quote:
2200fps at the muzzle?

...more like 2500.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you reread my post, I said I wouldn't personally take that shot.
I have done a lot of range work at 600yds. With that cartridge it is very iffy and you better know that the wind is slight. I don't have thoughts either way on the rifle. The basic AR platform can be made into a very accurate rifle. I am building one for myself at this time.
Ain't no whining coming from me, just my personal opinion just like all of the rest of you.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
Well, then, take the next shot at an even more ridiculous range, then maybe the animal will still be alive when you walk up to it, then you can fix a bayonet to the rifle, and REALLY go military wanna-be on it!

Wouldn't have a problem running a bayonet through a deer's skull and yes I did serve, 8 years Army Infantry(11B). Never had much use for wanna-B's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:

Wouldn't have a problem running a bayonet through a deer's skull and yes I did serve, 8 years Army Infantry(11B). Never had much use for wanna-B's.

Nice bitch slap! Wink

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Congrats to your brother!

quote:
2200fps at the muzzle?

...more like 2500.

Right on the money, Impact velocity was right around 1600 fps. 725 lbs of energy on impact at that distance. Which is more energy than shoving a .45 ACP into his ribs and pulling the trigger at point blank. I don't know about you but I believe that would ruin my whole frikn day.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

PERFECT! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with success. Good shooting, good buck - congratulations!

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going! Do you have a photo showing the buck's antlers?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Only a couple pics were taken of this particular buck and due to my younger brothers profession/field of work. I won't post his mug on a open forum. I am a cave man when it comes to computers, so I have no idea how to go about the face blur thing with my Mac so cropped pictures it is, sorry.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Impressive. Well done.

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:

You have 11b brothers here, smack.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, nice shot, nice rig.

What I don't get is those who feel they must put someone down. Guy comes on her and tells us a nice success story because he's proud (and rightfully so). But others feel they must step up and put him down. ::shaking head::

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
The Grendel is a bit puny for mule deer at that range IMO. 2200fps at the muzzle?

Energy at that range is around 600 ftlbs.

Might want to keep the shots under 150 yards, or just use it for coyotes...

Muzzle energy? What does it mean anyway and how is it relevant to ranking terminal performance? Answer: it isn't. A .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet has more "fpe" than a 360 grain .45 caliber bullet at 1,400 fps. If I had to stop a charging grizzly at close range (and yes, I have had to), I damn sure won't be picking the .22-250. To say that it is too puny for mule deer at that range is extremely ridiculous given the fact that the deer was killed with one shot and the bullet passed completely through the animal and exited. The facts of what happened speak for themselves, and not armchair theorizing.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not whining or denigrating the poster. Just stating facts, opinion, and suggestions.

Ever heard of The Taylor Index? Google it.

Most conventional wisdom in choosing a caliber for deer is to choose one that will deliver about 1000 ftlbs of energy for a humane kill. The caliber is fine. The Grendel just doesn't fit the bill velocity wise to generate the energy. Like I suggested, you may want to limit the range for shots next time for mule deer that can go 300#. They're not 100# whitetails.

I was at the range just last week with a buddy shooting the same round. It was his varmint gun in the AR platform

Having said all that. The deer is in the freezer. Looks like a fine buck!

Some guys here shoot them with .22 cals. The debate goes on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, we were chrono'ing his factory Grendel loads.

2200fps.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not whining or denigrating the poster. Just stating facts, opinion, and suggestions.

Most conventional wisdom in choosing a caliber for deer is to choose one that will deliver about 1000 ftlbs of energy for a humane kill. The caliber is fine. The Grendel just doesn't fit the bill velocity wise to generate the energy. Like I suggested, you may want to limit the range for shots next time for mule deer that can go 300#. They're not 100# whitetails.

I was at the range just last week with a buddy shooting the same round. It was his varmint gun in the AR platform

Having said all that. The deer is in the freezer. Looks like a fine buck!

Some guys here shoot them with .22 cals. The debate goes on.

I have taken Deer very cleanly with the 45 ACP. What was that about needing 1000 FPE? Again an irelevant number that has absolutely nothing in reguards to ranking terminal performance.

My 338 Laupa with a 300 grain SMK has several hundred more FPE than does a 458 shooting a 500 grain bullet at 2100 FPS, I know which one that I am taking for Elephant and it sure in hell ain't the Laupa

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shot, nice rig. You were well trained for the shot and properly equipped. I would like to have tried it.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great deer. Good shot. Congrats.

quote:
Most conventional wisdom in choosing a caliber for deer is to choose one that will deliver about 1000 ftlbs of energy for a humane kill.
This "conventional wisdom" is from gun writers and bears no resemblance to reality with modern bullets.

quote:
Yup, it was done by a 1947 gun writer to justify his own beliefs on velocity versus energy as a measure. And we KNOW nothing in the bullet or ballistics world has changed since 1947.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 338 Laupa with a 300 grain SMK has several hundred more FPE than does a 458 shooting a 500 grain bullet at 2100 FPS, I know which one that I am taking for Elephant and it sure in hell ain't the Laupa"

Smart choice! The MatchKing in the "Laupa" probably wouldn't penetrate too well Big Grin

But I bet a Barnes Solid in the "Lapua" would work great since it does have about 400 more ftlbs of energy...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 338 Laupa with a 300 grain SMK has several hundred more FPE than does a 458 shooting a 500 grain bullet at 2100 FPS, I know which one that I am taking for Elephant and it sure in hell ain't the Laupa"

Smart choice! The MatchKing in the "Laupa" probably wouldn't penetrate too well Big Grin

But I bet a Barnes Solid in the "Lapua" would work great since it does have about 400 more ftlbs of energy...

Ahh, now you are off of the ME bandwagon and going into projectile performance which is a much bigger part of the equation than energy. No matter what solid projectile chosen in .338 caliber, it will never leave a wound channel as big as the .458 even though it has "more energy" it will never equal the terminal performance of the .458 with a solid projectile. In designing a mathematical model of wound trauma and incpacitation, all that have been based on ME have failed miserably in the ranking of terminal performance.

Oh, and pardon me for the typo....

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
And here we go!

A few days ago there was a post asking why there were fewer hunting reports this year - I believe you just struck on the reason why. If you post a hunt report here (and elsewhere for that matter), it's virtually guarunteed that someone will come along and denigrate you, your animal, your shot, or your equipment in some fashion. It's like we can no longer be happy for our fellow hunters when they're successful. If "we" don't agree with every facet of their hunt, "we" lambast them, often on a personal level. The prevalence of personal attacks have certainly increased my reluctance to post anything about my personal hunts. I don't think I've put up a picture in a couple years, despite participating in a variety of hunts that I thought were very enjoyable and successful. It's a shame, because I really like seeing others' successful hunts.

Nice buck, nice shot. Just because others wouldn't make the shot (I'm in the category) or couldn't make the shot (I'm probably in that category too Big Grin), don't let them drag you or your buddy down and lessen your enjoyment of the hunt. Be responsible, be ethical, know your limitations, obey the law, and have a good time.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Great deer, great shot no matter what anyone says. I would never take a shot like that, simply because I am NOT capable of making it! I sure don't try to denigrate others that can.

Good shooting.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah!

To Hell with anyone that may disagree or have a different opinion! Mad CRYBABY

Now let's get back to what we were doing. Everybody join hands while snell leads us in the singing of "Kumbaya"! jumping

Talk about contrary, whiny kids!

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I guess the bottom line is, many people do not spend as much trigger time as others. I see it every year on some of the local and private ranges. For 95% of the year I and several other gentlemen are always running into each other with a different this and a different than, sharing loads. Working with each other on load development etc. Then beginning about two weeks before the big game season THEY start coming, the guys that pick up their rifle and shoot it at a hundred yards once a year before the season and it is scary to watch. Let's just say I am happy to hunt the trails less traveled because most of these guys I wouldn't even want carrying a rifle in the same Game Management Unit as I.

It takes allot more than a 100 yard zero and a ballistics program or App to make 1st shot extended range hits. Shooting is my sport, my hobby and my true love. Some people golf and take great pride in that near perfect score. I take pride in my components and firearms, I try year after year(For the last 23 years) to make that group smaller and smaller and actually enjoy a "Problem child" rifle and working the load and the rifle until they are in sync. I hone my skills on groundhogs through out the spring and summer with some of the same rifles I hunt with. I fire thousands upon thousands of high power cartridges per year, in the field and on the bench and most of this shooting is never done at less than 300 yards. If I can hold a three shot group at around a inch at 300 yards from the bench which is where I zero most of my rifle(300 yards) then I know while breathing hard in the field or in a hasty shooting position I can sure put it in the kill zone of a mule deer or elk. We are not just out flinging bullets at animals at extended ranges we have done our home work and spent the time in the field or on the bench with real world measured groups at 300, 400, 500, 600 yards etc. Ballistics programs are a great help but by no means the true answer to long range hits. Trigger time is the answer to taking game year after year at 300 yards plus. Looking in the garbage box in my reloading room, I have burnt the following powders in the last 60 days or so.

2lbs RL-22
1lbs RL-25
1lbs IMR 4350
1lbs IMR 7828
2lbs H-4350 LOVE THE STUFF!
2 1/2lbs Varget

I have shot 600+ .300 Win Mag, 300+ .270 Win, 150+ .375 Ultra Mag, 200+ 7mm Ultra Mag, 100+ 7x57 and I cant even count the rim fire and handgun ammo in the last 2 months and yes it is costly but it is what I enjoy.
I shoot and I shoot allot and I am very comfortable with my abilities at distance.

I have taken mule deer out to 560 yards with a combo such as this, .375 Rem Ultra magnum, Leupold LR M1 4.5-14x50. All one needs to do is invest the time.

Here are some pics of recent load development targets.

Funny thing is, the first picture/group bellow was fired from a completely factory Rem700 ADL synthetic(319.00) with a cheap Buckridge 4-16x50 scope(80.00) This is a truck rifle I use for coyotes, go figure. All the money we put into quality equipment and the bastard child rifle shoots right with the customs at a fraction of the cost. Gotta love it!

This 400 yard group was shot with a 300 yard zero, holding dead on the orange, this is how I confirmed my real world drop at 400 yards with a 300 yards zero. The drop matched my I-Phone ballistics App drop PERFECTLY. This was shot while laying on a logging road across a canyon in the prone of a bipod without a rear bag. Slight right to left breeze, I didn't hold for the breeze because it wouldn't matter on a animal. The rifle I was shooting did not have target knobs so I know at that distance I would hold hair on a Mulies back and send it.

I hunt big open country, this picture was taken while bear hunting in Eastern Washington. I was carrying a different .375 Ultra Mag in this photo.

This buck was shot at 560 yards with a .375 Ultra Mag and a 260gr Accubond.

The recovered bullet from the above pictured buck.

Some well used long range hardware.

Doing some long range bench work with a Rem700 Classic in 8x57, using a pocket PC with the ballistic program Exball to work out the details.