THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe Elephant Cull Hunt Suspended
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Elephant Cull Hunt Suspended
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There have been reports on this forum of elephant cull hunts in Zim conducted in and around National Parks. These are characterized by low prices and plural harvests. There have also been warnings that these hunts are illegal, or non-existent, as well as posts verifying the practice.

Due to "abuses by operators", these cull hunts in Zim have been suspended. It has come to the attention of CITES officials that a bull with tusks over 3m long, weighing 107 and 126lbs was shot in Hwange park under the guise of a cull hunt, by an operator from Bulawayo. There is now an investigation under way. Until this has been concluded, there will be no more hunts of this particular kind in Zim.

The PAC hunts and Chirara management hunts offered by us are not affected.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
a bull with tusks over 3m long, weighing 107 and 126lbs was shot in Hwange park under the guise of a cull hunt, by an operator from Bulawayo.

OK, what idiot PH would do this? Without knowing the circumstances (and maybe I am jumping to conclusions) I wish someone would post his name so everyone knows not to book with him in the future. The worst part of it is that there is no way in hell the client is getting those tusks out of there without paying someone a HUGE chunk of change.

tendrams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing taken on those hunts is exportable.

Posts: 11999 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:46 AM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: SUSPENSION OF ELEPHANT RATION/MANAGEMENT HUNTS IN NATIONAL PARKS

Dear Members,

SUSPENSION OF ELEPHANT RATION AND MANAGEMENT HUNTS IN NATIONAL PARKS

The SOAZ Chairman and Committee are pleased to be able to forward to you the attached report from Dr. Mtsasmbiwa suspending the current elephant hunting in National Parks, particularly Hwange.

However, as you will note, Parks feel that some way forward must be found to continue with the original purposes of this programme so as to maximise the financial returns to Parks from the Ration and Management quotas. The economic times are difficult for everyone, including Parks. They will review the methods utilised to conduct this programme. These were being badly abused by the participants.

Any member with constructive suggestions should submit these to SOAZ and/or Dr. Mtsambiwa at National Parks.

Please note that National Parks are also encouraging the public and stakeholders to report incidents of abuse/poaching/malpractice within the Parks. But please ensure you can give them FACTS - registration number and make of vehicle, photos, date, time, place, names, etc.

We must congratulate our members for the concerted effort many made to obtain the facts and photos required for the National Parks Board and Committee to make a decision.

Well done.

Yours sincerely

Sally Bown
SOAZ

SEE TOMORROW IN YOUR MIND'S EYE - NOT THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES.
VISIT ZIMBABWE FOR WORLD CUP SOCCER 2010

Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe
Inbound Tour Operators of Zimbabwe Association
Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association

--------------------------------------------

Elephant Conservation In Zimbabwe

Introduction
Elephant conservation remains one of Zimbabwe’s main success stories. Of late due to reason beyond our comprehension this conservation initiative is under spotlight with varied opinions being expressed. This is manifesting itself in form of various misconceptions about the state of elephant conservation in Zimbabwe, including accusations of staff involvement in poaching.

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority therefore wishes to set the record straight by informing our valued stakeholders of the elephant management programmes on the ground to hopefully stop all the misinformation that is doing the rounds.

Elephant Population Status
The current national population is about 100,000 with an average growth rate of 5% and of this Hwange National Park and its environs alone hold about 50,000 while Mid-Zambezi Valley, Sebungwe and the South East Lowveld hold 30,000, 15,000 and 5,000 respectively. These figures are based on aerial surveys undertaken jointly by the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
Utilization: non consumptive and consumptive
There are two programmes for the sustainable utilization of elephants in the country : (i) non-consumptive (photographic, elephant rides) and (ii) consumptive (trophy hunting and management off-take). Consumptive utilization is all based on an approved quota with the exception of problem animal control which is responsive to rogue animals whose numbers annually cannot be predicted.

There is also a deliberate policy to carry out these programmes i.e. consumptive and non consumptive, in isolation of each other recognizing the different clientele ethics involved.
Trophy hunting which annually utilises 500 animals that are declared to CITES each year as 1000 tusks to allow for exportation of trophies takes place in designated places as follows:
• State hunting safari areas 145 animals
• Private land mainly conservancies 115 animals
• CAMPFIRE in communal areas 210 animals and
• Forestry areas 30 animals
No trophy hunting takes place in National Parks which include Hwange, Gonarezhou, Chizarira, Mana Pools, Matusadona, Kazuma Pan, Zambezi where elephants are found.

The management off take, unlike trophy hunting, takes place in any protected area where elephants occur including the national parks stated above and involves both trophy and non trophy animals but the trophies are not for export in any way. The ivory from such an initiative ends up in central ivory stores at the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority Head Quarters properly recorded with a distinct serial number, area of origin, cause and date of mortality and size (length and weight). In order not to change the population structure (age and sex) management off takes are not selective such that trophy animals are also taken but as stated above their ivory is not for export in its raw form. It is sold on the domestic market through regular auctions to registered ivory manufacturers in line with 1997 CITES COP 10 Resolution which allowed Zimbabwe to engage in highly controlled domestic ivory trade.

Management off takes are for ecological reasons to manage surplus animals since elephants at very high densities as is our situation have a high propensity to destroy the very habitat that is the basis for their survival. As they destroy the habitat they also pose serious loss of other biodiversity.

At the moment in Zimbabwe the management off take is utilised for training, staff rations, support for state and other functions, sale to crocodile farmers and where possible live sales for restocking. Meat is also sold cheaply or given freely to communities to supplement their protein requirements.

The management off take involves an approved quota country wide of 1000 animals representing approximately 1% of the population as compared to the 5% annual growth rate stated above. This implies that this off take has no effect whatsoever on the elephant population. Moreover over the years we have never harvested even half of the approved quota.

In April 2007 prior to CITES COP 14 in The Hague SADC Ministers responsible for Wildlife Management approved the Southern Africa Elephant Management Strategy which recognises culling as one of the main tools for effective population control. However, in the event that the Authority needs to undertake culling, all the political, ecological and other considerations including thorough stakeholder consultations would have been met.

At the moment and in preparation for a possible requirement to control elephant population through culling the Authority has embarked on a training exercise for its staff thorough engaging some experienced professional hunters using part of this management quota. This training involves hunting, recovery and processing of elephant products and gathering of scientific data.

However it appears that this training process has not gone down very well with some of our stakeholders resulting in the perception that trophy hunting for commercial purposes is taking place in National Parks. Furthermore accusations of rampart poaching or complicity in poaching by staff have also arisen resulting in staff frustration and low morale.

In response the Authority has deemed it fit to suspend this programme with immediate effect to allow for reviewing of lessons leant in line with adaptive management principles which guide the Authority.

It is important to state that this programme has to go on as rations for and training of staff has to be undertaken if we are to meet our conservation goals. The Authority has also to supply meat to other stakeholders as stated above.

We invite all stakeholders with information on poaching by staff or complicity in poaching to provide such information to the office of the Director General to facilitate any investigations where necessary.

It is our sincere hope that this statement will enlighten our valued stakeholders and help correct the perceptions about this programme. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information regarding the programme.

Dr. M.Z. Mtsambiwa
Director General
Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority
Box CY 140, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Tel: +263 4 705 344, +263 11 870 160, + 263 912 217 405.
Fax: +263 4 790 567
e-mail: mzmtsambiwa@zimparks.co.zw

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those tusks have seen some serious "story growth". A 92lb ele was shot in december as a "ration" hunt and a 75lb/42lb one shot in Hwange as a "management non trophy ele"

Both still totally unacceptable. Have the names of the two PH's but until I am sure enough of the facts to confront them in the supermarket, I'll hold on the "name and shame".

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason to go to a supermarket in Harare these days?

Smiler Smiler Smiler Wink Wink Wink

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Those tusks have seen some serious "story growth". A 92lb ele was shot in december as a "ration" hunt and a 75lb/42lb one shot in Hwange as a "management non trophy ele"

Both still totally unacceptable. Have the names of the two PH's but until I am sure enough of the facts to confront them in the supermarket, I'll hold on the "name and shame".

It would be a victory for all hunters if these scum were exposed and stripped of their rights to hunt Zimbabwe. If I find out who they are, I shall start a fistfight in the supermarket, win or lose. I hope, when the time comes, the relevant authorities initiate a serious investigation into the underhand dealings that have taken place in the hunting industry of late. Those responsible should be publicly exposed and punished accordingly. They are not hunters and have no right to call themselves hunters. There are still some guys trying to do things properly, and their standing and the standing of the Zim hunting industry takes a serious pounding from the actions of these criminals. Trophy hunting in Hwange National Park? Have some respect, for God's sake. Great men are spinning in their graves right now.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Is there any reason to go to a supermarket in Harare these days?

Smiler Smiler Smiler Wink Wink Wink

I saw quite a bit of food in the stores I went to not far from Harare.
App $1 for a 1Lt Coke, not bad price, but some things where way over priced.
I also heard about the 120lbs bull shot in Wankie.
Also heard about a Bull found dead with one tusk over 100lbs in Mana Pools Nat Park.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone who has been to hwange many many times i would not want to hunt there its to easy but as i have also seen a different part of human nature.You will be amazed at the amount of people in Zimbabwe that rape the sitaution to enrich themselves not only in the hunting industry i hope they can live with themselves in the future there is going to be some bad karma coming back around for some people.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
a bull with tusks over 3m long, weighing 107 and 126lbs was shot in Hwange park under the guise of a cull hunt, by an operator from Bulawayo.

OK, what idiot PH would do this? Without knowing the circumstances (and maybe I am jumping to conclusions) I wish someone would post his name so everyone knows not to book with him in the future. The worst part of it is that there is no way in hell the client is getting those tusks out of there without paying someone a HUGE chunk of change.

tendrams
maybe they could put them in a really long, skinny suitcase and bring them home that way jumping

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big ele in Hwange was Tim Shultz (Africa Dream Safaris). His Appie M. Sibanda had it in his log book on the proficiency as one of the hunts he had accompanied (along with photo's!!!) but it has taken some time to confirm this hunt did actually take place inside the park.

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised it is Tim Schultz and African Nightmare Safaris. If you go to 24 hour Campfire(look for 24hour campfire hunt) you will see a thread where hunters went this year to hunt elephant and some hunted illegal elephants(according to the hunter after he shot his elephant), some did not have permits in those areas, and some were kicked out of bed in the middle on the night.
I hunted with Tim's outfit 2 years ago, and would never hunt with them again. I did get offered 2 free days of hunting if I came back. I did not hunt elephant.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Tim might not be visiting Busters for a while.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The big ele in Hwange was Tim Shultz (Africa Dream Safaris). His Appie M. Sibanda had it in his log book on the proficiency as one of the hunts he had accompanied (along with photo's!!!) but it has taken some time to confirm this hunt did actually take place inside the park.

Tim Shultz has been up to no good, there have been unconfirmed reports of him hunting illegally and trying to get a foot hold into Sengwe Hunting area South of Gonarezhou... Also a reputable cameraman from Zim who has done quite a lot of work with National Geographic this week on a lion hunt was punting hunting ele in Hwange to a Russian client... do not want to mention name here...

THIS SHIT HAS TO BE PROPERLY CONTROLLED

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:

Tim Shultz has been up to no good

Yeah, and not only him. Hopefully the other names will also come out of the woodwork soon.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the misfortune of being on one of Schultz' elephant hunts that ended up in a national park. Hopefully another AR member that was on that hunt will join in with pictures of his bull, which nobody would describe as a non-trophy.
In related news, whoever bought Schultz' SCI auction hunt for lion might want some pictures of Schultz' caged lions to go with their trophy.Now, I'm not saying they are the right lion, but since I also have it on good authority that he has no lion quota, they might be good enough.
Did I mention I'm really pissed off? Wink

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a matter of interest, I think an apology is due as the elephant that you are all referring to was shot with a National Parks allocated professional hunter, not Tim Schultz. Schultz's appie was on the hunt and accompanied this other professional hunter. Investigations are under way to correct these false allegations as well as legal action for damages caused. I believe that it would be wise in future for people to get all the correct facts before publishing incorrect information that could cause some very serious embarrassment when it has to be retracted. Once again, trial by internet!!

Posts: 16 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Matswani,
How about the group on 24HR that hunted with Tim this year with no legal license to hunt elephants or the member here who is looking into his hunt for elephant that may have been shot illegally. You need to check all of your facts. or talk to the many people who have had problems on thier hunts with him.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been in contact with National Parks of Zimbabwe and have a reliable source who has confirmed that there were permits in place, an investigation has been done with the 24hour campfire hunt you refer to and there was nothing illegal about it. From what I understand as I have been investigating these unfortunate incidents that it is a small % of Schultz's clients who are unhappy. Maybe Schultz just took on too much. I'm not making excuses for the guy but accusing him of illegal undertakings without proof seems a bit unjust.

Posts: 16 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matswani

If your local police chief gives your 12 year old son a drivers license - do that make it legal for him to drive on the roads if the legal minimum age is 16?

The parks and wildlife act prohibits any foreign national from shooting any animal within a national park under any circumstances other than self defence. The act has not been amended. The two senior parks officers responsible for the permits - Tapera (Stix) Chimuti - Director Scientific services and Anne Mandaza - Director operations have both lost their jobs over this.

Zimbabwe is a land where the "law" is very selectively applied. In terms of the act, it is a criminal offence to shoot game on private land without a permit from the "appropriate Authority" - ie the holder of the title deeds. National Parks has been issuing hunting quota's for all the occupied game ranches - particularly in the Gwaai area. These are actually counter signed by the minister of Environment and Tourism. These permits have no legal basis- and are not recognised as valid by either the USA or the EU. Records are being kept of these activities as far as is possible and one day- hopefully soon- some retribution can take place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matswani

The parks and wildlife act prohibits any foreign national from shooting any animal within a national park under any circumstances other than self defence. The act has not been amended. The two senior parks officers responsible for the permits - Tapera (Stix) Chimuti - Director Scientific services and Anne Mandaza - Director operations have both lost their jobs over this.

Zimbabwe is a land where the "law" is very selectively applied. In terms of the act, it is a criminal offence to shoot game on private land without a permit from the "appropriate Authority" - ie the holder of the title deeds. National Parks has been issuing hunting quota's for all the occupied game ranches - particularly in the Gwaai area. These are actually counter signed by the minister of Environment and Tourism. These permits have no legal basis- and are not recognised as valid by either the USA or the EU.

The above is correct. Those operators hunting on occupied farms without the owners permission are simply poaching. nothing more- nothing less. And, not only are they stealing, they are helping perpetuate the regime.

Sadly many involved in this practice are men I used to call friends.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don Heath and Ganyana

You have named one person, what about the rest don't you think that everyone has a right to know who these other outfitters are? I know from a reliable source in Zimbabwe that a number of well known operators / outfitters and professional hunters have been issued these permits and in quantities of up to 10 and possibly more, foreign nationals are shooting these elephant not local Zimbabweans! I believe from what you are saying that you don't believe that your authorities in National Parks of Zimbabwe are issuing legal permits, I wonder what they think of that?

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I am perplexed. We have definite evidence that there is an impending or existing disaster because of lack of population control/culling of elephants in the Parks
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/185102769

But when someone in the government tries to get things done to help remedy the problem, they are attacked and fired from their jobs?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matswani -
1) I have not named anybody...You are correct in stating that there have ben over a dozen firms identified so far taking part in the "management hunts" in the national parks and many more on the occupied farms.

2) It is a matter of public record that I chalenged the Parks Director General - Morris Mutsambiwa, that the hunts were illegal in terms of the act. Morris and I are actually fairly good friends. He was Snr Ecologist Aquatic, whilst I had the office opposite him as Snr Ecologist Utilisation - you cannot work along side a man for 4 years without getting to know him quite well Wink

3) Morris side stepped the issue refering the matter to the minister. He knows what the Law says, but political decisions over rule the law locally. He is in the very awkard possition of having to try and do what is best for both parks and wild life whilst not compromising himself.

4) Those members of AR who have been on such hunts must satisfy themselves that they are happy with their efforts in the funding of ZANU -PF - the organisation that has been, after all, the primary benefficiary of all money paid for these hunts.

5) For international Hunters, what is "acceptable" practice in Zimbabwe, may not be in compliance with their own countries laws. A quick Phone call to the US embassy in Harare (if you are a US citizen) will confirm that these hunts are regarded as illegal by the US government.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Matswani,

Welcome to the forum.

As a fairly new visitor, you may not be aware that Ganyana and Don know more about, and are more involved in the Zimbabwe hunting industry than pretty much anyone. - Both are also as straight as die and I'm sure that I won't be the only member here to tell you that if they tell you something, you can take it to bank.

If they're not naming certain names at this point, you can bet your life, wife and house on the fact that they have a very good reason.

My advice would be to give 'em time, and I'm sure that when they have their ducks in a row, they'll do the appropriate thing. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Matswani,

Welcome to the forum.

As a fairly new visitor, you may not be aware that Ganyana and Don know more about, and are more involved in the Zimbabwe hunting industry than pretty much anyone. - Both are also as straight as die and I'm sure that I won't be the only member here to tell you that if they tell you something, you can take it to bank.

If they're not naming certain names at this point, you can bet your life, wife and house on the fact that they have a very good reason.

My advice would be to give 'em time, and I'm sure that when they have their duck in a row, they'll do the appropriate thing. Wink

Matswari

Ditto what Steve said.... you cant fart against thunder...

This one should be good, there are a good number of outfits that are going to get their fat fingers burned when this one goes up in flames.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don Heath

I have hunted in Zimbabwe for a number of years and have hunted with a number of different outfits and hunters, what I am aware of is that the Government (Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe) takes from 25-45% (I know this varies)of all monies received from hunts conducted in Zimbabwe, does this not make every operator and client supporters of ZANU-PF as you put it? At one stage earlier this year 45% of all revenue received from a single hunt went to Government so everyone conducting hunts in Zimbabwe and declaring their funds (which is anyone who wanted to export our trophies) is supporting ZANU-PF. So shouldn't all operators / outfitters be deemed illegal? Shouldn't all hunts be stopped? I understand that National Parks of Zimbabwe are receiving fuel and equipment to keep operational from the elephant hunts that have been taking place under this "management program" from Operators / outfitters as they cannot keep afloat in the ever changing climate in Zimbabwe (I give them a lot of credit for even attempting to keep things going in what I understand to be a very harsh and unforgiving economy). Is not the elephant population in Zimbabwe causing a lot of environmental damage?

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matswani:
Don Heath

I have hunted in Zimbabwe for a number of years and have hunted with a number of different outfits and hunters, what I am aware of is that the Government (Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe) takes from 25-45% (I know this varies)of all monies received from hunts conducted in Zimbabwe, does this not make every operator and client supporters of ZANU-PF as you put it? At one stage earlier this year 45% of all revenue received from a single hunt went to Government so everyone conducting hunts in Zimbabwe and declaring their funds (which is anyone who wanted to export our trophies) is supporting ZANU-PF. So shouldn't all operators / outfitters be deemed illegal? Shouldn't all hunts be stopped? I understand that National Parks of Zimbabwe are receiving fuel and equipment to keep operational from the elephant hunts that have been taking place under this "management program" from Operators / outfitters as they cannot keep afloat in the ever changing climate in Zimbabwe (I give them a lot of credit for even attempting to keep things going in what I understand to be a very harsh and unforgiving economy). Is not the elephant population in Zimbabwe causing a lot of environmental damage?

Mr Matswani,

There is a vast difference between paying fees you are obliged to pay by law and openly dancing with the devil. I hope that justice is done some day. Those who have dodgy political partners, overshoot quotas, shoot in parks and occupied land etc need to be brought to book and stripped of their right to hunt this country.

David

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd also like to add that (IMO) those hunters who compound the crime by knowingly hunting areas (esp occupied lands) such as David has just mentioned, deserve to be strung up for Leopard bait. Confused

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I understand as I have been investigating these unfortunate incidents that it is a small % of Schultz's clients who are unhappy. Maybe Schultz just took on too much. I'm not making excuses for the guy but accusing him of illegal undertakings without proof seems a bit unjust.

I am not sure what you mean by a small percentage. All I can tell you, that of the 7 people that I hunted with or who called me about Tim Schultz African Nightmare Safaris. All had problems. Ages range for late 60's to mid 30's. From multi-millionaires to blue collar workers. From Detroit to Colorado to Ontario. I find it hard to believe with this wide range of demographics and hunting experiences that the only thing everyone has in common, is very bad experiences with Tim Schultz.
7 for 7 is not a low percentage. I hope when you hunted with him you had better luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a Hwange cull elephant taken through Schultz.The Warden was present.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SGraves et al

There is a dire need for elephant population management - no question about that but...

1) It must be done legally!
2) It must be done according to approved scientific practice -ie you should be shooting cows and calves, not bulls- never bulls, unless they are with the herd being exterminated
3) you must wipe out the entire herd.

The problem with these hunts is the way in which they have been conducted- Parks denied to the association- in writing, that any of these hunts were taking place- after London Hunter had been on one with Numzaan safaris and it posted on AR- The minister in charge and parks got quite a fright when confronted with this. Only after South African operators had already been hunting in the park, did a veriety of local operators get in on the act- and then parks had the cheek to try calling the hunts "experimental". Why hide it- why lie to the association? Who was bribed? (who lost their jobs?).

There are no easy answers to culling. Parks have one officer left - Ray Makwehe who is competant and qualified to lead a cull - in the old days you had tto have shot over 500 ele before you were alowed to conduct a mini cull or be one of the three "cullers" (as oposed to flankers) on a big cull. Ray was the first black officer to conduct his own cull. Ray could co-ordinate it and run it , but would need experienced back up.

The assocaition has 600 aprentice hunters and guides who are all needing elephant experience...if you are going to accept botched jobs, the appioes can do it- and gladly pay for the privaledge.

Regionally, both Namibia and South Africa have approached us re training of hunters on dangerous game. It would be streatching the letter but not the spirit of the act to bring them on board.

Lastly- take the matter to parliment and ammend the act if you wish to allow foreign nationals to hunt or participate in culls within a national park (it would never get through parliment, and never pass CITES secretariat approval either... but that is by the by.

PS- proper elephant culling is dangerous, dirty work. Shooting calves that are snuggling up to their mothers and then rushing over to you for a cuddle is more than I could take. I was glad to be able to leave that to harder men than I (culling buff was a different story, and the calves never affected me the way ele calves did)- Ele are just too special.

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
case could be made for defamation and slander. If you were to check parks registry on hunters (I have), you would find that Schultz has conducted some 160 hunts in the past three years. So you are actually a very small percentage of his registry. I would think Schultz having taken on these hunts on short notice from your agent without dates and deposits being posted well in advance, speaks more to his professionalism than to your complaint. And that seems to come down to having moved camp on short notice. After a careful review of your comments, as the trophies in question were taken (apparently, at least from early entries), this sounds like a problem with your agent and perhaps false promises. Grown-ups discuss these things with the parties in question in person. Grown-ups don't sit in the diaspora in their underwear pounding away under anonymous names to uninterested parties. Grown-ups, well....
they act like grown-ups. Matswani's comments in regards to yours seem far more relevant to me. Perhaps you should personally get with Zim parks and sort your 'facts' before spouting off ad infinitum. Yours-
Regards-

alan kelly
kelly's africa Pvt Ltd
www.kellysafrica.com

Alan,
I have hunted with Tim's company and my problems had nothing to do with my booking agent. He was the best part of the trip. My father and I were both offered 2 days free hunt and animals if we came back. Due to all the problems with our hunt. Defamation and slander, I laugh. I have the free hunt offer in writing. I am not hiding behind anything. My hunt was booked months in advance, no PH's for a few days, wrong camps per TIM, etc, etc. I put this in the open so we could discuss like grown ups.

I would be willing to discuss with you in person, I make a couple trips a year to Summit County for skiing. I am hiding nothing.

When I was called by hunters who were thinking of booking with Tim, I gave honest answers. The ones that still booked, called me when they got back and said I was right on.

Have a nice day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
160 hunts in the last three years....? But Tim only got his PH license 2 years ago... My Proficiency note book tells me up until then he was working for Rebeca Steyn and Wayne Jardine...and apprenticed under Wayne...and that Don Heath and Isaac Nyamatora were his examiners.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan Kelly wants to speak of Schlutzs professionalism? Tim got my elephant permit on the 10th day of a 10 day hunt. There is plenty of reason to believe that even then the permit wasn't legal.That practically reeks professionalism.. Roll Eyes I'm guessing alan kelly is the "main" booking agent that Tim and company alluded to, but wouldn't name when I asked.Why would a company not want their clients to know the name of their own booking agent? Scared of what they might hear?

Schultz is doing a good job of defaming himself

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
If you were to check parks registry on hunters (I have), you would find that Schultz has conducted some 160 hunts in the past three years. So you are actually a very small percentage of his registry.

Alan,
So you are saying Tim has done 53 hunts per year for the last 3 years? Average hunt 10 days, so he hunts 533 days per year. Wow, you are definitely booking hunts for the right guy.
Especially, since he only got his PH license 2 years ago.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If we all go quiet at the same time and listen very carefully, I wonder if we'll hear an axe being ground somewhere. Wink Wink

Sorry guys, my English sense of humour just couldn't resist taking the piss a little. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
If we all go quiet at the same time and listen very carefully, I wonder if we'll hear an axe being ground somewhere.
Shakari,
I don't know if this was meant for me or not. But I have no axe to grind. Here is my post of my hunt with Tim Schultz.

Posted 07 August 2007 03:01 Hide Post
Just got back a few weeks ago from ZIM. Hunted with African Dream Safaris. Only met Tim once for about 5 mins. I shot a sable, eland, bushbuck, cape buffalo, and some misc. animals.
PM if you need details on Tim or the hunt.

No axe here, I did get several PM's and responded accordingly.

When Alan sends me a message about me sitting around in my underwear, and I am afraid to show. Then I will let the truth be told. I sure would not want to book a hunt with Alan if that is the way he behaves. But, to each his own.
Seems like a great booking agent booking for a wonderful PH.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Motorcity,

No bwana, it wasn't aimed at you in any way.......... Wink

It was however meant to inject an element of humour or indeed, humor.

More seriously, as I said earlier, "Ganyana and Don know more about, and are more involved in the Zimbabwe hunting industry than pretty much anyone. - Both are also as straight as die and I'm sure that I won't be the only member here to tell you that if they tell you something, you can take it to bank.

My advice would be to give 'em time, and I'm sure that when they have their ducks in a row, they'll do the appropriate thing".

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
"Ganyana and Don know more about, and are more involved in the Zimbabwe hunting industry than pretty much anyone. - Both are also as straight as die and I'm sure that I won't be the only member here to tell you that if they tell you something, you can take it to bank.

My advice would be to give 'em time, and I'm sure that when they have their ducks in a row, they'll do the appropriate thing".

That pretty much says it all...

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote