THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will post the details of our Caprivi trip in the Hunting Report forum later this week. But given it's 'booking time', it may be helpful for those looking to arrange a hunt with Martin to get some information on my brother and my experience BEFORE you send deposits.

'Surreal' doesn't fully explain the magnitude of the mis-management of this hunt.

Minimally, I may be able to provide some process tips that may be helpful and mitigate any downside risks (from one who made mistakes I will NOT make again).

Please PM me if you'd like direct and honest feedback.

Best,

Chris

Posts: 46 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Ya...that's not gonna fly. Say your peace or why bother?

Edit: just to be clear I have no doubt of what you experienced just the PM for detailS part

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am not questioning whether you did or did not have a bad experience in Namibia. What I do find curious is how show season seems to bring forward folks that have axes to grind with outfitters. Why do folks that purport to be motivated by a desire to prevent others from having a negative experience seem content to wait until the shows to raise the issue? If the hunt was in October or November, why not post the details on your return? Even in the post today, there are no details. A cynic might believe that the motivation is more akin to retribution or leverage given the timing.

Again, I am not suggesting that you did not have a negative experience. If that was the case, I feel your pain. I had a negative experience this past year in Namibia myself with another outfitter. Just seems to me that when someone comes forward months or years after something is said to have happened you have to wonder what motivated the delay in coming forward.

Mike

Posts: 21214 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dangerous game industry is tightening up as access and quality animals become more difficult to secure. There is a lot of horse trading that goes on behind the scenes and sometimes coordination becomes difficult. This is especially true when multiple parties are attempting to coordinate clients, quota, hunting leases, and permits. Unfortunately, all these details are seldom disclosed to the client.

Ask questions - a lot of questions...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your hunt report would have been more credible without the "Previews of Coming Attractions" bullshit.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9571 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Chris PM'ed me his account of his issues.

From that account, it seems to me he has a legitimate issue(s).

I hope he will post it here for all to see.

I also hope folks will give his grievances a fair consideration and not be distracted by his method of bringing it to light.

I also think Martin deserves a chance to rebut.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe he has a legitimate grievance as well...but just post the hunt report and say your peace if you're trying to save the next poor sap who's thinking of booking.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I believe he has a legitimate grievance as well...but just post the hunt report and say your peace if you're trying to save the next poor sap who's thinking of booking.

This

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sorry. I didn't want to post 4 pages of text here. Your point is well taken.

With respect to the timing, the hunt ended only 8 weeks ago and I've had business to attend to. That said, I did miss the DSC show. I wont spend much time on this, my lawyer suggested any action would be fruitless, but I DO think people need to be aware of these kinds of things. I've found similar posting on AR helpful.

In any event, here's a summary:

We paid for a 2 (Client) x 2 (PH), 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Mayuni and Kwando Conservancies in the Caprivi.

We received a 2 x 1, 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Bumunu Conservancy in the Caprivi.

We were unaware of the change until we were in Johannesburg the night before we left for the Caprivi!

The conservancy changes were not communicated to us even though they were known months before the hunt, even after I had asked.

Martin and his team did not apply for the proper Namibia work visa’s, so they were denied entry into Namibia. So, they did not participate in the hunt as was intended to and we no longer had 2 PHs for the hunt. A difficult situation for a 14 day trophy elephant hunt.

Martin had no direct experience with the conservancy, camp, trophy expectations, or professional hunters and refused to refund our fees after the hunt began to fall apart.

We were introduced to our "booking agent" when we arrived in Katima. We had never met this man nor did we know we had a booking agent.
Contact if you would like the detail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uff-da

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am not questioning whether you did or did not have a bad experience in Namibia. What I do find curious is how show season seems to bring forward folks that have axes to grind with outfitters. Why do folks that purport to be motivated by a desire to prevent others from having a negative experience seem content to wait until the shows to raise the issue? If the hunt was in October or November, why not post the details on your return? Even in the post today, there are no details. A cynic might believe that the motivation is more akin to retribution or leverage given the timing.

Again, I am not suggesting that you did not have a negative experience. If that was the case, I feel your pain. I had a negative experience this past year in Namibia myself with another outfitter. Just seems to me that when someone comes forward months or years after something is said to have happened you have to wonder what motivated the delay in coming forward.

Mike, I don't disagree with your post but I would suggest that perhaps people wait to post a negative review until all the trophies have left the country of origin.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uff da can be used as an expression of surprise, astonishment, exhaustion, relief and sometimes dismay.

So which is it???

Cool

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I am anxious to read the report to see how the hunt turned out. Hopefully the experience in Bunumu was pleasant and the hunt successful for both hunters even though things did not start out as planned.

A couple of years ago I arrived in Lusaka, Zambia only to find out there were issues with quotas and PH licenses. Although I hunted a different area than originally booked and lost one day of hunting I had a great experience and ended up with some good trophies.

Looking forward to the report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

Uff da can be used as an expression of surprise, astonishment, exhaustion, relief and sometimes dismay.

So which is it???

Cool

Uff da can be used as an expression of surprise, astonishment, exhaustion, relief and sometimes dismay. Within Scandinavian-American culture, Uff da frequently translates to: "I am overwhelmed". The phrase has become a marker of Scandinavian heritage, particularly for people from Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, northern Illinois, Minnesota, and Upper Peninsula of Michigan.[citation needed] Uff da can often be used as an alternative for many common obscenities. [1]

Take your pick.... Big Grin

Back to the topic...that is quiet possibly the poorest treatment of a safari client as I have seen on AR. that is beyond terrible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up...

Cool

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I'm paranoid . . . when you have many qualified outfitters in a country but nevertheless book with someone from another country, e.g., booking with a Zim outfitter to hunt Nambia, booking with a South African outfitter to hunt Zim, etc., just strikes me as a potential nightmare waiting to happen.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this title, it reminded me of when I did a tusk less hunt with MPS in Zim. We ran out of food during the hunt, we were down to 1 spoon of beans for breakfast and a thin slice of tomato, thats it, that was out breakfast. For one that like to have a big breakfast to start a hard day that was not enough. Never going back there again.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps I'm paranoid . . . when you have many qualified outfitters in a country but nevertheless book with someone from another country, e.g., booking with a Zim outfitter to hunt Nambia, booking with a South African outfitter to hunt Zim, etc., just strikes me as a potential nightmare waiting to happen.

+1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
posted Hide Post
About two years ago, Martin had a problem hunt that was discussed here. It went to three pages with no reply or participation by Martin as to the allegations. It left a question mark on his reputation IMO.

Martin used the forums frequently to advertise his hunts for sale in the past. Not so much recently. I wonder why?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,

I'm not disagreeing with you, but is there a difference in booking with a Zim agent to hunt in Namibia and booking with an American agent to hunt in Namibia?

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:

Mike,

I'm not disagreeing with you, but is there a difference in booking with a Zim agent to hunt in Namibia and booking with an American agent to hunt in Namibia?

That is not what was done here apparently. There was no one acting as an agent booking with an outfitter in another country. When an American agent books a hunt for client in Namibia, the agent is not conducting the hunt in Namibia, just facilitating the transaction. I am referring to an outfitter from one country booking a hunt in another country that they intend to conduct. I will give Martin the benefit of the doubt for the time being, too many people I know who have hunted with him and hold him in good regard.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, good question. The reason we booked with Martin for this particular hunt is that we had hunted with his outfit (not him personally) twice before (4 total safaris - 2 of which were full bag).

Hindsight? I should have booked directly with the concession holder and/or done a bit more due-diligent into the concessions.

I think one problem may come in when a lot of the Caprivi quota gets sold across myriad outfitters (whether South African, Zim, French, etc.) at the onset of the booking season. A number of the Nam outfitters I spoke to were sold out. But I'm not entirely sure.

Simply a case of trusting an outfitter I booked with before and assumed - wrongly - that I was in 'good client' status.

I alos overpaid for the hunt. But that's my fault, not Martin's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will send over the full report later this evening . . . Off to manage the kids! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post the entire 4 pages write up with all the details on this thread.

This thread is going to generate a lot of responses and having all the details in the open would be best for AR participants.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here it is. By the way, as a transplanted Minnesota boy, Uff-Da would be used as an expression of "exhausted astonishment" in this case. There were some very good thing about the hunt, irrespective of the outfitter, which I will go into in a subsequent post.

First, it’s difficult to admit making this kind of mistake. We should have done more due-diligence on the hunt, we should not have paid all the fees up front, we should have put fees in escrow, and had a detailed contract drawn up. How could I be so careless with this hunt given the costs involved? Excitement, the expectations of the hunt with my brother, misplaced trust in the outfitter, and the fact that I’ve never had an issue like this before most likely played a part. While I likely won’t receive a refund, perhaps I can make it harder for this kind of behavior to continue in the hunting industry. I, for one, will never make this mistake again.

For the record, I’ve hunted in Africa seven times and twice in Martin Pieters’ areas. I’ve spent a great deal of money with Martin and considered myself to be a good client. I also had recommended Martin’s outfit to my brother who subsequently did several significant safaris with him. And just days before our departure to the Caprivi, we were planning some hunts in the Omay or the Matetsi with my son and a client in 2017. No longer.

SUMMARY
• We paid for a 2 (Client) x 2 (PH), 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Mayuni and Kwando Conservancies in the Caprivi.
• We received a 2 x 1, 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Bumunu Conservancy in the Caprivi.
• The conservancy changes were not communicated to us even though they were known months before the hunt.
• Martin and his team did not apply for the proper Namibia work visa’s, so they were denied entry into Namibia. So, they did not participate in the hunt as was intended to and we no longer had 2 PHs for the hunt.
• Martin had no direct experience with the conservancy, camp, trophy expectations, or professional hunters and refused to refund our fees after the hunt began to fall apart.

BACKGROUND AND BOOKING
In February 2016, my brother and I met with Martin Pieters at the SCI conference in Las Vegas to discuss plans for the year. My brother had not taken a bull elephant and was interested in an exportable trophy and thus, we were assessing options from various outfitters in Namibia. Given the amount of hunting we had done with Martin and what we considered to be a ‘trusted’ relationship, we agreed to pursue a hunt with him.

Martin said he had quota for 2 elephants in “areas with big bulls and an average in the low 60-pound range” and “a real chance at a much bigger bull”. I asked about which areas we would be hunting and he said the Kwando and Mayuni conservancies along the Linyati. We knew we were paying a bit of a premium, but the plan was to hunt with Mike’s Zimbabwe PH (Dalton Tink) with whom he had established a good rapport and Martin was to accompany me as I had not hunted with him directly. This would probably be my last exportable elephant hunt and a special one to share with my brother.

The booked hunt was a 2 x 2, 14 day Trophy bull elephant hunt in Mayuni and Kwando Conservancies in the Caprivi. Martin and Dalton would PH for each of us. The Cost: The very high end of the trophy elephant rate in the Caprivi.

Deposits were made.

Some research indicated that Jamy Traut (Jamy Traut Safaris) operated these conservancies so I assumed (wrongly) that Martin had been in contact with Mr. Traut and all was in line. Given what we now understand, Martin had collaborated with his colleagues Wayne Grant (a PH in Zimbabwe, South Africa) and John Harris (Outfitter in Mozambique and South Africa) and arranged the quota with them, and not Jamy Traut directly.

In March or April, the quota apparently became unavailable and in the background, Wayne Grant, John Harris, and presumably Martin, were searching for quota elsewhere in the Caprivi. We had no communication on this whatsoever. In April or May, John Harris contacted PH Vaughn Fulton with Camelthorn Safaris in the Bumunu Conservancy and negotiated for two exportable trophy bull quota.

Again. we were unaware of this change. Moreover, I sent Martin an email confirming the conservancies and he responded via email on July 13th that we were still hunting the Kwandu and Mayuni conservancies. I asked Martin several times for pictures of the Kwandu and Mayuni camps and recent trophies but received only pictures of elephant from his areas in Zimbabwe. Given what we know now, that’s not entirely surprising. Flights were booked, final deposits made, and we began arranging firearm permits and invitation letters.

At this point, I received an invitation letter from Felix M with Camelthorn Safaris for the Bumunu conservancy and, being a bit perplexed, I questioned Martin via WhatsApp as follows:

9/22/16, 8:48:05 AM: Chris Drazan: So, the invitation letter says Bumunu conservancy not Mayuni or Kwandu? Is that a change or just for the paperwork?
9/22/16, 8:49:10 AM: Martin Pieters: Just paperwork
9/22/16, 9:00:20 AM: Martin Pieters: They have given me an option as it is extremely dry right now and there is more movement Bumunu side.

As we found out later, he had NO access to Mayuni and Kwandu and he was (or should have been) completely aware of this. This change had nothing to do with water as both the Chobe and Linyante were dry. Again, these changes in the background were never communicated to us.

THE HUNT
On October 19, we began the long journey to the Caprivi. Upon landing in Johannesburg, I received a text message from Martin saying he, the other PH, and photographers had been detained at the Namibia border and would not be permitted entry on the “suspicion that they were conducting hunts in Namibia”. He was claiming to be accompanying a hunt, far different than operating or conducting a hunt which is what we had paid Martin to do. Martin had not applied for the appropriate visa’s nor arranged with Camelthorn to be on site and providing PH services.

We were now at the Afton Guest House in Johannesburg, and had no idea on how this expensive Caprivi elephant hunt would take place.

I eventually connected with Martin that evening and he explained to me that he had arranged a PH (Vaughn Fulton), to assist us on our hunt. We had never met or spoken to Vaughn before this point but we were expecting -- and had paid for -- a 2 x 2 hunt on two conservancies and not a 2 x 1 hunt on one conservancy!

I called Vaughn to understand from him what was being said. He informed me that the hunting is going to be “tough” given the drought situation and that “trophy expectations should be in the 40-pound range”. Vaughn had no information with respect to the other conservancies. Martin had never met Vaughn nor Felix Marnewecke (Bumunu) conservancy operator), had never been to the conservancy or camp, and had no understanding of the camp capacity (there would have been no room for an additional 5 people accompanying Martin). During the first evening at camp, we were told that Martin had been informed in August that the hunting could be less than productive and in fact, they had told one of their elephant hunting clients to postpone their hunt until next year given the drought conditions, and that Martin should have let us know. Felix could have adjusted the plan accordingly. Martin never informed us of this.

Given this new information, I then sent Martin a text requesting that we cancel the hunt and that he repay our deposits. His response was “Moneys have been paid to Camelthorn safaris, Chris”. No refunds.

Obviously, I wasn’t getting the entire story from Martin, so I then pressed the issue on where we were to hunt since at this point, we only have one PH and no additional logistical support to the multiple conservancies.

Text Messages - Wednesday, October 19th 10:07 CST
Chris Drazan: So, do we have access to the other concessions (around Bwabwata) or not? That is what we bought, and I'd like that option if need be. You mentioned "we had access to all three".
Martin Pieters: I am talking to Vaughn now
Chris Drazan: Do I have quota in Mayuni and Kwando or not?
Martin Pieters: Right now no, as far as I am aware.

To say we were shocked and upset, would be an understatement.

The next morning, we traveled to the Caprivi and meet Vaughn at the Katima airport. He introduced us to John Harris, who was already there. We assumed John was an additional PH hired to support the hunt and provided by Camelthorn and until this point, we had never heard of him.

After getting to camp, I asked Vaughn if he and John had hunted together and how they knew each other. Vaughn, clearly confused at this point, says, “Chris, we didn't hire him, he’s your agent. Didn't someone tell you this?”

Our “agent”?! I didn't know we had an “agent” other than Martin. All monies had been paid to Martin. At the time, we had no idea that it was John Harris and Wayne Grant who had booked the hunt, and not Martin. We asked John to leave camp and return to South Africa as he had no practical role in the hunt nor did we have room in the Land Cruiser.

Our hunting began, and as Vaughn had indicted, it was tough going. Elephant, at this point, were moving in only one section of the conservancy around the Chobe and the Botswana border. On the 8th day, Mike took a bull in the upper 40-pound range. To this point, this was the only ‘shootable’ bull we had seen and would prove to be the last mature bull we saw, and therefore I was unable to connect. This is, after all, hunting and there are no guarantees. Except, of course, that your outfitter should provide the hunt that you paid for.

While the overall issues with the booking weighed on the hunt, Vaughn, Felix, and the Bumunu team did a fantastic job. I would recommend a hunt with them if buffalo is the objective (we saw some fantastic bulls). The upside (if there is such a thing) of the drought was the atypical movement of game: we saw incredible numbers of zebra, buffalo, hyena, and several lions.

How to avoid this problem in the future (at least for me)?

• Get a detailed contract and do NOT send deposits until this is complete. Unfortunately, even with outfitters you know.
• Use an agent if you are unsure (or do not have experience with) a given operator.
• Escrow funds (daily fees and trophy fees to be fair to the outfitter) and never pay all up front.
• Contact the owner of the concession you will be hunting in advance of deposits being paid if the outfitter is not the concession operator or land owner.

The biggest disappointment was trusting Martin to deliver on his promise only to find out he did not communicate issues as they arose and worse, he did not follow through on appropriate due-diligence to ensure the hunt he sold us was delivered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

So, by your logic, one should never use someone like CMS to hunt somewhere like Zambia then, right? That would be Zim operators working out of the country.

I am consistently amazed that people will post negative reports on this website when all some want to do is blame the whole situation on them before they even know any of the details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion Martin Peters needs to respond to this thread.

The poster is new to AR but he is not a first time african hunter.

These allegations need to be addressed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COYOTE HUNTER:
quote:

Mike

So, by your logic, one should never use someone like CMS to hunt somewhere like Zambia then, right? That would be Zim operators working out of the country.

I am consistently amazed that people will post negative reports on this website when all some want to do is blame the whole situation on them before they even know any of the details.

As I understand, CMS does not conduct the hunts in Zambia, they use Zambian outfitters and PHs. In fact, I believe the hunts are listed as being done in association with another outfitter. If you have a different understanding, by all means share it.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions, correct me if I am wrong, but we have heard one side of the story at this point . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

+1

+2

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3396 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that it is illegal for non NAmibian PHs to conduct DG hunts in Namibia. They may accompany clients but there HAS to a registered Namibian DG certified PH actually conducting the hunt. A bit of due diligence would have discovered this. There is no way MArtin was ever going to legally conduct this hunt unless he is certified IN NAMIBIA as a DG PH, WHICH HE OBVIOUSLY ISNT.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of jumping to conclusions, correct me if I am wrong, but we have heard one side of the story at this point . . .[/quote]

Exactly.
But that didn't stop you from jumping on the guy immediately and questioning his motivation for posting.
Do you not think that this kind of behavior makes people hesitant to post negative reviews?

He said he would post his side of things and he has. I hope the outfitter comes on and explains his side as well. That is the beauty of a neutral forum.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To be clear, I still question the timing of his report to coincide with the shows. If he wanted to alert everyone to a serious issue, I would have thought that would have been done before the jet lag was even over from a trip in October. That said, I stated at the outset I have no idea of the veracity of his allegations.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Savikataaq Jr:
When I saw this title, it reminded me of when I did a tusk less hunt with MPS in Zim. We ran out of food during the hunt, we were down to 1 spoon of beans for breakfast and a thin slice of tomato, thats it, that was out breakfast. For one that like to have a big breakfast to start a hard day that was not enough. Never going back there again.

I like to see good food and ALOT of good food on safari.I can't stand seeing carefully rationed meals.I know I should not eat like a pig but if I do decide to I want the food to be there-not to go to bed hungry.When I hunted with HHK there was food galore.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Bottom line is that it is illegal for non NAmibian PHs to conduct DG hunts in Namibia. They may accompany clients but there HAS to a registered Namibian DG certified PH actually conducting the hunt. A bit of due diligence would have discovered this. There is no way MArtin was ever going to legally conduct this hunt unless he is certified IN NAMIBIA as a DG PH, WHICH HE OBVIOUSLY ISNT.

Yep, but there are plenty of SA PHs legally hunting in Namibia and conducting dangerous game hunts. This seems to be more of a problem with quota being sold off to other PHs who in turn sell it to another PH hoping to get a piece of the action and no one fully disclosing what all was happening.

I believe if all the facts had been disclosed before the hunt, this may not have turned out the way it did. Again, both the outfitter/PH have an obligation to tell all and the client should question all.

As Ronnie once said - Trust, but verify...

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If it is illegal for non Namibian DG certified PHs to conduct such hunts, how are SA pHs conducting these hunts??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be clear, I still question the timing of his report to coincide with the shows. If he wanted to alert everyone to a serious issue, I would have thought that would have been done before the jet lag was even over from a trip in October. That said, I stated at the outset I have no idea of the veracity of his allegations.

Perhaps we should ask him if the 40# tusks are stateside yet. As I already mentioned some folks would be hesitant to post something negative if they still had Ivory across the pond.

Of course I don't know if that's the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that Vaughn would be handling his ivory and would steer clear of his issue with Martin.

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I also look forward to hearing Martin's response. I took my family on a buff hunt to his Ume camp in 2014 on Lake Karibe and hunted the OMAY. I met JTEX there as he was trying to get a leopard. My PH was his young cousin mentioned in this thread Dalton Tink. I never got on the sticks for my buff. I had emails with Martin before the hunt about hippo and crocs. He told me in an email that I could take them at trophy fee only if there was quota available. When i got there and spoke with the PH, the price for the croc and hippo had doubled from 4k to 8k. Dalton put me on a "big bull hippo" on the last day of the hunt. I had decided to take as hippo as I hadn't gotten close to a buff. I had never shot a hippo. I put one in the brain from 100 yards. It was a big cow. I pulled the trigger and I was responsible. I didn't know how to judge them and I trusted Dalton who said it was a huge male. I negotiated down to $6500 with Martin for a cow hippo. At the end of the season, he was selling his unsold quota for discount of hippo and croc. He told me my cost was higher as he had to buy additional quota for me to shoot one before he put his unsold quota on sale. We had plenty of food and the camp was fine. Dalton was nice to my kids. We went to his Hwange camp, Nahimba after the hunt. It was awesome. We went to his wife, Candy, father's lodge at Vic falls, Gorges after that. All that was great. I need to deal with an honest outfitter and will not hunt with him again

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 235 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Drazan:
Here it is. By the way, as a transplanted Minnesota boy, Uff-Da would be used as an expression of "exhausted astonishment" in this case. There were some very good thing about the hunt, irrespective of the outfitter, which I will go into in a subsequent post.

First, it’s difficult to admit making this kind of mistake. We should have done more due-diligence on the hunt, we should not have paid all the fees up front, we should have put fees in escrow, and had a detailed contract drawn up. How could I be so careless with this hunt given the costs involved? Excitement, the expectations of the hunt with my brother, misplaced trust in the outfitter, and the fact that I’ve never had an issue like this before most likely played a part. While I likely won’t receive a refund, perhaps I can make it harder for this kind of behavior to continue in the hunting industry. I, for one, will never make this mistake again.

For the record, I’ve hunted in Africa seven times and twice in Martin Pieters’ areas. I’ve spent a great deal of money with Martin and considered myself to be a good client. I also had recommended Martin’s outfit to my brother who subsequently did several significant safaris with him. And just days before our departure to the Caprivi, we were planning some hunts in the Omay or the Matetsi with my son and a client in 2017. No longer.

SUMMARY
• We paid for a 2 (Client) x 2 (PH), 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Mayuni and Kwando Conservancies in the Caprivi.
• We received a 2 x 1, 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt in Bumunu Conservancy in the Caprivi.
• The conservancy changes were not communicated to us even though they were known months before the hunt.
• Martin and his team did not apply for the proper Namibia work visa’s, so they were denied entry into Namibia. So, they did not participate in the hunt as was intended to and we no longer had 2 PHs for the hunt.
• Martin had no direct experience with the conservancy, camp, trophy expectations, or professional hunters and refused to refund our fees after the hunt began to fall apart.

BACKGROUND AND BOOKING
In February 2016, my brother and I met with Martin Pieters at the SCI conference in Las Vegas to discuss plans for the year. My brother had not taken a bull elephant and was interested in an exportable trophy and thus, we were assessing options from various outfitters in Namibia. Given the amount of hunting we had done with Martin and what we considered to be a ‘trusted’ relationship, we agreed to pursue a hunt with him.

Martin said he had quota for 2 elephants in “areas with big bulls and an average in the low 60-pound range” and “a real chance at a much bigger bull”. I asked about which areas we would be hunting and he said the Kwando and Mayuni conservancies along the Linyati. We knew we were paying a bit of a premium, but the plan was to hunt with Mike’s Zimbabwe PH (Dalton Tink) with whom he had established a good rapport and Martin was to accompany me as I had not hunted with him directly. This would probably be my last exportable elephant hunt and a special one to share with my brother.

The booked hunt was a 2 x 2, 14 day Trophy bull elephant hunt in Mayuni and Kwando Conservancies in the Caprivi. Martin and Dalton would PH for each of us. The Cost: The very high end of the trophy elephant rate in the Caprivi.

Deposits were made.

Some research indicated that Jamy Traut (Jamy Traut Safaris) operated these conservancies so I assumed (wrongly) that Martin had been in contact with Mr. Traut and all was in line. Given what we now understand, Martin had collaborated with his colleagues Wayne Grant (a PH in Zimbabwe, South Africa) and John Harris (Outfitter in Mozambique and South Africa) and arranged the quota with them, and not Jamy Traut directly.

In March or April, the quota apparently became unavailable and in the background, Wayne Grant, John Harris, and presumably Martin, were searching for quota elsewhere in the Caprivi. We had no communication on this whatsoever. In April or May, John Harris contacted PH Vaughn Fulton with Camelthorn Safaris in the Bumunu Conservancy and negotiated for two exportable trophy bull quota.

Again. we were unaware of this change. Moreover, I sent Martin an email confirming the conservancies and he responded via email on July 13th that we were still hunting the Kwandu and Mayuni conservancies. I asked Martin several times for pictures of the Kwandu and Mayuni camps and recent trophies but received only pictures of elephant from his areas in Zimbabwe. Given what we know now, that’s not entirely surprising. Flights were booked, final deposits made, and we began arranging firearm permits and invitation letters.

At this point, I received an invitation letter from Felix M with Camelthorn Safaris for the Bumunu conservancy and, being a bit perplexed, I questioned Martin via WhatsApp as follows:

9/22/16, 8:48:05 AM: Chris Drazan: So, the invitation letter says Bumunu conservancy not Mayuni or Kwandu? Is that a change or just for the paperwork?
9/22/16, 8:49:10 AM: Martin Pieters: Just paperwork
9/22/16, 9:00:20 AM: Martin Pieters: They have given me an option as it is extremely dry right now and there is more movement Bumunu side.

As we found out later, he had NO access to Mayuni and Kwandu and he was (or should have been) completely aware of this. This change had nothing to do with water as both the Chobe and Linyante were dry. Again, these changes in the background were never communicated to us.

THE HUNT
On October 19, we began the long journey to the Caprivi. Upon landing in Johannesburg, I received a text message from Martin saying he, the other PH, and photographers had been detained at the Namibia border and would not be permitted entry on the “suspicion that they were conducting hunts in Namibia”. He was claiming to be accompanying a hunt, far different than operating or conducting a hunt which is what we had paid Martin to do. Martin had not applied for the appropriate visa’s nor arranged with Camelthorn to be on site and providing PH services.

We were now at the Afton Guest House in Johannesburg, and had no idea on how this expensive Caprivi elephant hunt would take place.

I eventually connected with Martin that evening and he explained to me that he had arranged a PH (Vaughn Fulton), to assist us on our hunt. We had never met or spoken to Vaughn before this point but we were expecting -- and had paid for -- a 2 x 2 hunt on two conservancies and not a 2 x 1 hunt on one conservancy!

I called Vaughn to understand from him what was being said. He informed me that the hunting is going to be “tough” given the drought situation and that “trophy expectations should be in the 40-pound range”. Vaughn had no information with respect to the other conservancies. Martin had never met Vaughn nor Felix Marnewecke (Bumunu) conservancy operator), had never been to the conservancy or camp, and had no understanding of the camp capacity (there would have been no room for an additional 5 people accompanying Martin). During the first evening at camp, we were told that Martin had been informed in August that the hunting could be less than productive and in fact, they had told one of their elephant hunting clients to postpone their hunt until next year given the drought conditions, and that Martin should have let us know. Felix could have adjusted the plan accordingly. Martin never informed us of this.

Given this new information, I then sent Martin a text requesting that we cancel the hunt and that he repay our deposits. His response was “Moneys have been paid to Camelthorn safaris, Chris”. No refunds.

Obviously, I wasn’t getting the entire story from Martin, so I then pressed the issue on where we were to hunt since at this point, we only have one PH and no additional logistical support to the multiple conservancies.

Text Messages - Wednesday, October 19th 10:07 CST
Chris Drazan: So, do we have access to the other concessions (around Bwabwata) or not? That is what we bought, and I'd like that option if need be. You mentioned "we had access to all three".
Martin Pieters: I am talking to Vaughn now
Chris Drazan: Do I have quota in Mayuni and Kwando or not?
Martin Pieters: Right now no, as far as I am aware.

To say we were shocked and upset, would be an understatement.

The next morning, we traveled to the Caprivi and meet Vaughn at the Katima airport. He introduced us to John Harris, who was already there. We assumed John was an additional PH hired to support the hunt and provided by Camelthorn and until this point, we had never heard of him.

After getting to camp, I asked Vaughn if he and John had hunted together and how they knew each other. Vaughn, clearly confused at this point, says, “Chris, we didn't hire him, he’s your agent. Didn't someone tell you this?”

Our “agent”?! I didn't know we had an “agent” other than Martin. All monies had been paid to Martin. At the time, we had no idea that it was John Harris and Wayne Grant who had booked the hunt, and not Martin. We asked John to leave camp and return to South Africa as he had no practical role in the hunt nor did we have room in the Land Cruiser.

Our hunting began, and as Vaughn had indicted, it was tough going. Elephant, at this point, were moving in only one section of the conservancy around the Chobe and the Botswana border. On the 8th day, Mike took a bull in the upper 40-pound range. To this point, this was the only ‘shootable’ bull we had seen and would prove to be the last mature bull we saw, and therefore I was unable to connect. This is, after all, hunting and there are no guarantees. Except, of course, that your outfitter should provide the hunt that you paid for.

While the overall issues with the booking weighed on the hunt, Vaughn, Felix, and the Bumunu team did a fantastic job. I would recommend a hunt with them if buffalo is the objective (we saw some fantastic bulls). The upside (if there is such a thing) of the drought was the atypical movement of game: we saw incredible numbers of zebra, buffalo, hyena, and several lions.

How to avoid this problem in the future (at least for me)?

• Get a detailed contract and do NOT send deposits until this is complete. Unfortunately, even with outfitters you know.
• Use an agent if you are unsure (or do not have experience with) a given operator.
• Escrow funds (daily fees and trophy fees to be fair to the outfitter) and never pay all up front.
• Contact the owner of the concession you will be hunting in advance of deposits being paid if the outfitter is not the concession operator or land owner.

The biggest disappointment was trusting Martin to deliver on his promise only to find out he did not communicate issues as they arose and worse, he did not follow through on appropriate due-diligence to ensure the hunt he sold us was delivered.

Martin needs to answer this.

I am not sure he is aware of it though, as his last visit was before this was posted.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66959 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I would think that Vaughn would be handling his ivory and would steer clear of his issue with Martin.

He booked with Martin, not Vaughn. He got punted to Vaughn. I would wait until that ivory were here. Your mileage may vary.