THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    At The Range With The Ruger Lott
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At The Range With The Ruger Lott Login/Join

one of us
posted
[URL= ]a[/URL][URL= ]b[/URL] Here I am at the range again.This time with a Ruger.After todays shooting I have more respect for the Ruger name.This is my first Ruger.The second pic shows a three shot group at 100yds with the open sights.I used 500gr A-frame molly coated bullets and H4895 powder with a velocity of 2290 fps.I moved the rear sight to the right after the first shot because it became loose and moved when I didn't tighten its screw enough.The last pic shows a single round I fired at 25 yds with a 500gr molly coated Woodleigh FMJ and IMR 4320 powder at 2240fps.This will be my up close round.The rifle is VERY accurate and felt recoil is MUCH LESS than the CZ Lott.I chose to leave the rifle with no bedding because I judged that after removing the action from the stock,, the action was very secure and tight in its stock and showed no movement.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and felt recoil is MUCH LESS than the Lott

What Lott do you mean? The number 1?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,I meant less than the CZ550.I am comparing the Ruger bolt action to the CZ 550.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not weighed the Ruger but it feels about the same or less than the CZ.It is less bulky and the bolt does not come as far back to touch my face as the CZ.With the CZ I need to lift my head off the stock a little to cycle the bolt.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the lott weighs at least 1.25 # more than the CZ...

wonder if it wears the barrel out with the cleaning practice...

wonder how the brass life will be....

Please, REALLY get the buttstock off the sandbags... this puts amazing stress on the stock.

please REALLY bed it...

barring that, nice rifle.. if you use it as presented you'll bust the stock, but don't complain about it if you keep up the bad pratices

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffesso,this is my third big bore rifle and I have not cracked a stock.I've fired hundreds of rounds.I 've fired all my rifles off the bags this way for years.It is my way of shooting.I just weighed both rifles on a Edlund bakers scale and the Ruger weighs less.You must be using an older model.I will not bed any rifle that shoots extremely accurate and fits its stock like a glove.In my oppinion there are other reasons for which a stock will crack,but I know you and others will just laugh at them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, REALLY get the buttstock off the sandbags... this puts amazing stress on the stock.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where's the snowmobile helmet?

Also, will you use one ring or two when you put a scope on it?

For those not knowing where these questions come from, do a search on his big bore posts!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
jeffesso,this is my third big bore rifle and I have not cracked a stock.I've fired hundreds of rounds.I 've fired all my rifles off the bags this way for years.It is my way of shooting.I just weighed both rifles on a Edlund bakers scale and the Ruger weighs less.You must be using an older model.I will not bed any rifle that shoots extremely accurate and fits its stock like a glove.In my oppinion there are other reasons for which a stock will crack,but I know you and others will just laugh at them.

okay.. so, i wanted to keep this quote, as so many of shoo thataway's posts get edited out later.

when you complain of a broken stock, this will be here..

third big bore? wow, now THAT is amazing

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I compared the same load fired from both rifles and got about 30 fps more from the Ruger with a shorter barrel.This may be because shooting with the CZ was done during cooler temperatures during winter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Where's the snowmobile helmet?

Also, will you use one ring or two when you put a scope on it?

For those not knowing where these questions come from, do a search on his big bore posts!
...and get a SHOOTING EDUCATION!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took the action off the stock again and detected some movement or looseness of the action in the stock.I glassed the flat bar or recoil lug in the stock to stop this movement.I am sure that not more is needed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Special Olympics have a rifle team now?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Can you please explain the stresses that this places on the stock. It's not that I don't trust your statement, I'm just trying to examine the loads and stresses and I can't figure out how that is bad.

Thanks.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dla69,it probably has to do with this event they keep on reffering to and probably take part in called the special Olympics.Next time I'll use my BIONIC eye and shoot a one hole group for RIP.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Does Special Olympics have a rifle team now?

ROFLMAOPMP!!

quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:

Can you please explain the stresses that this places on the stock. It's not that I don't trust your statement, I'm just trying to examine the loads and stresses and I can't figure out how that is bad.

Thanks.

Sure, rifles rotate under recoil, not just back. So, you haven't' heard it that way.. so, all rifles have muzzle rise under fire.. if the muzzle goes up, the butt must go down.. (it does, i am just trying to be chummy on this) .. the gun rotates, the butt doest move down, the stock flexes FAR more than shooting from the shoulder.. busted stock is frequently the result

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure, rifles rotate under recoil, not just back. So, you haven't' heard it that way.. so, all rifles have muzzle rise under fire.. if the muzzle goes up, the butt must go down.. (it does, i am just trying to be chummy on this) .. the gun rotates, the butt doest move down, the stock flexes FAR more than shooting from the shoulder.. busted stock is frequently the result

As I draw the free-body diagram in my head, it appears that the reason that the muzzle comes up is because of recoil places an axisymmetric load on the the receiver this then creates a moment on the stock as it rotates about the butt of the gun. As such, the heal of the gun stock should go up and not down on recoil. I can't see a way to create a pivot location such that the stock goes down.

What am I missing?

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Well,
tell you what.. and no, I am not being a jerk...

sandbag up a rifle, have someone else fire it, and put your hand under the toe, between the rifle and bags...

Your diagram is flawed... IT IS NOT A FREE BODY

think pole vault going into pocket and flexing...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well,

sandbag up a rifle, have someone else fire it, and put your hand under the toe, between the rifle and bags...

Thanks for making me sorry that I asked the question.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry.. i may have over reacted...

trust me, the rifle might BOUNCE up, after it springs, but not firstly...

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well,

I've done this out of curiosity, but it was my own right hand - I'm left handed. It doesn't hurt, but you can feel the pressure.

If you move the bags forward about 4-6" from the toe there is nothing, so the axis must be near the toe, imo.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both the CZ and the Ruger Safari in 458 Lott, thought they both were pretty horrendous in the recoil dept.

The Ruger was by far my choice of rifles and felt recoil was less with Ruger in my case..The Ruger was also a classier, better finished rifle with a lot more bells and whistles, not even any comparison, the Ruger won hands down..

I am wondering if you weighed a "new Ruger Safari" with one of the newer CZs what the weight difference would be? The old Rugers had very heavy barrels, but Ruger changed that a few years back...The Ruger has better balance for me and is much less bulky.. I like my rifles on the streamlined side..

Of note is I don't mind weight in a .458 Lott, it is well appreciated everywhere except on AR where shooters are pumped with gallons of testosterone and immune to flinchitas! bull

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ Safari Classic 458 Lott(deluxe model):9lbs 11 ounces. Ruger Magnum Lott:9lbs 7.8 ounces. CZ 550 Magnum 458WM(talley bolt handle,Timney trigger,spacer in mag)9lbs 5 ounces.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of note is I don't mind weight in a .458 Lott, it is well appreciated everywhere except on AR where shooters are pumped with gallons of testosterone and immune to flinchitas!

Man, that, is funny. Oh yeah, I agree whole heartedly!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of note is I don't mind weight in a .458 Lott, it is well appreciated everywhere except on AR where shooters are pumped with gallons of testosterone and immune to flinchitas! bull

I might have to put this in my signature line. That is some good stuff there. Very well said.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

And your the joker that would reem out my slim petite under 9 lbs M 70, and give me a permanent tic. No thanks.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flinchitas. Do they serve those at Taco Bell? I like mine with jalapeños and extra cheese.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

The lady's room is down the hall ... with the 2450fps 404 loads

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am confused as to why some people are dumping on shootaway, when he is simply trying to share pics of his rifles and range session.

It's not really very respectful or nice, as I see it.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weight comparisons of wooden stock rifles are only valid for the individual specimens that were weighed. I recently changed stocks on a CZ .416 for another factory stock and gained 1.6 pounds in the process. Weight went from 9 1/4 pounds to 10.85 with a screw-driver, plus 1 pound for the scope. After that I'm a little leary about blanket statements of X model is heavier than Y model or balances better or worse.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
I am confused as to why some people are dumping on shootaway, when he is simply trying to share pics of his rifles and range session.

It's not really very respectful or nice, as I see it.

You obviously haven't read *ALL* his posts.
Ya had to be there.
Still, I like reading him, and hope he stays around. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groups opened up to 4 inches after I bedded the rifle. At first I thought this was caused by a fouled bore.I took out the action from the stock when I got back and noticed one of the two stock screws on the forearm was tightened too tight and was touching and applying alot of pressure to the barrel.I hope this was the problem and groups return as they were on the first day of testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you introduce a bind into it when you bedded the rifle? If that's the case you may have to do it again.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure I introduced something.I'll wait untill I shoot it again on wednesday to try and find out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loostened the forearm screw andI think its finally starting to settle down.Here are the five last shots I will fire before I put it away for my hunt in August.These are five 500gr A-frames that are moving at 2300fps-SERIOUS BUSINESS.All shots are off the bench.The first three are at 100,then one at 25yds and one at 50yds.[URL= ]100yds[/URL] [URL= ]50yds[/URL] I will now practice dry firing my 308 to strengthen my hold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shootaway, just curious but why would you put the rifle down and not shoot it until you go on your hunt in Aug???? That migh be the number one most rediculous thing (and there have been quite a few to chose from Big Grin) things you have posted on here Confused

If anything you should shoot it more between now and then, than you already have. Just common sense....especially if you are still planning on shooting a Nyati with whatever bullet you have decided will evaporate a buffalo on merit of its shock alone, while using the "high neck shoulder shot" to drop him where he stands....... thumb

If you were just shooting plains game, hell it is just a wounded animal and a trophy fee to pay with no trophy to show, thats your choice. However; you are hunting an animal that if wounded, because of poor shooting, could cause someone other than you to potentially loose their life. Dont you think your PH would appreciate you shooting your rifle as much as possible right up until the day you leave....I know thats how I roll.

You are going to Africa man, it is a wonderful thing so why not prepare more than you think you should. Poor shooting and wounded animals can ruin the experience for you, and in some cases permanantly.....believe me I know..I have lost the only Lion I will ever hunt and it still bothers me. thumbdown

If you are worried about shooting the barrel out of your Lott between now and then..... bull shite. Not gonna happen.

Good luck to you, shoot some more and do what your PH says.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel will shoot-out.I am an expert.I will not be attempting the high shoulder shot on buff.Thanks silwane

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I loostened the forearm screw andI think its finally starting to settle down.Here are the five last shots I will fire before I put it away for my hunt in August. .........The barrel will shoot-out

First a comment:

Before a trip to Africa I would rather be absolutely certain than I "think its finally starting to settle down". Africa is a long way to find out about trouble.

Now a question:

I have been shooting my 416 remington every weekend and will continue to do so until I leave for my Selous Buf hunt in September. I will probably run 500 rounds through it before I go with about 10% being Woodleigh Solids. I also have a 458 Lott ordered and intend to shoot the heck out of it for a possible 2010 elephant trip. Should I worry about the barrel life? The only barrel I ever shot out was a 223 with nearly 10,000 rounds and it still shot fine but the throat was becoming extremely long.

I know this is a little hijack but shootaways comments got my attention.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ready to go.[URL= ]a[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's Saturday night and time for one of these.[URL= ]a[/URL]