THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Project pictures, springfield 404-375 *Blank pics added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project pictures, springfield 404-375 *Blank pics added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, for a long time I've posted pics here and there on other threads. Now that there is a custom rifle section I thought I'd start a thread even though this is a project that gets progress as money comes in.

I could post before pics, but it's easier to tell you it started as a remington 03a3 with crooked holes for the bases. It was my first rifle.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question isn't what has been done, but what wasn't!

-action trued
-surface ground
-new bolt handle
-lugs lapped in
-bridge removed and new bridge made with integral base
-magazine cutoff boss reshaped
-new cutoff switch made from scratch with new pin
-magazine box taken out to max inside dimensions
-new floorplate release button
-triggerguard reshaped
-tang reshaped

that kind of stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally this was going to be a 416 Taylor LN, but it works out that the best route to go if I want a big bore, with the magazine box the way it is, is a 404-375. A 375 H&H necked up to .423. I should be able to get 400g bullets to 2200fps. I plan on playing with the 380g Northforks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the barrel from krieger today. I have to send one of the dummies out tomorrow to get the neck/throat reamer made up.

It'll be setup for a scope but no open sights.

I have a gorgeous blank for it but need to wait till my wife's camera is charged to make sure I do it justice. 20+ year old piece of real french walnut, perfect layout for a big bore and great figure.

thats a 375 H&H in there with the dummies for reference. I think they're great looking rounds.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
That is one nice looking springfield action Smiler Can't wait to see the pictures of your blank...and of the completed rifle.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i dont see where you explained how the rear base is attached. is it welded?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rear base is silver soldered/brazed in place. it ain't moving. Smiler

The reason the bridge was modified like that was we went from the 03a3 bolt, which according to my gunsmith "looks like a camshaft reject" and the 03 bolt had some play, so to tighten it up AND bring the scope height down (I don't have the numbers with me) lower than you ever see on springfields, he made the new bridge top with integral base.

the bottom metal of course was 03 bottom metal, as 03a3 bottom metal is that stamped crap. that release button is slick, it works like a dream and the slot in it is designed so you can use the rim of the case to activate it too. The circular patter was to tie the cocking piece aesthetics together with this.

We opted to go this route versus hinged because the rifle was being built for my stepfather, and he's only carried military rifles and has never had a hinged floorplate and wanted it as much like what he was used to as possible.

I still need to get a trigger for it and a Wisner or LaPour safety.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive work and very instructive. But I cannot understand why folks do all that starting with an 03A3 action when there are plenty of double heat treated prewar 05 actions to be had .... and you would not have to throw the bolt away.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Vigillinus, I was wondering when I'd get some springfield lovers on here, I seem to remember Tom mentioning to me one time that you had an impressive bevy of springfields yourself.

I actually have two other springfield rifles, one a double heat treat, and at the time this was in the works had an extra receiver too. here is the reason we went with this 03a3.

1. most of the work would have been done anyways, so it was minor in extra cost for the parts

2. more importantly, this was the first rifle I had bought, with my stepfather's help, and as it was a gift for him (still is, however he has shoulder problems now and has told me to have it fitted to me when we stock it.) and so was a bit more meaningful to use this one.

3. I think that my gunsmith liked the idea of taking something most people wouldn't have bothered with and showing what could be done with it given the right skill and knowledge. the proverbial silk purse out of a sows ear. He was pretty proud of the final results on this. the time spent on things like the magazine cutoff boss and the new cut-off and spindle, was a lot for things that are for cosmetic reasons. I have copies of some of the drawings he did to make this and I cherish those as much as the work itself.

Red
PS
I am also surprised that there aren't more 03 lovers looking at this and saying, "hey, I can have a big bore on a springfield!" I'll actually take a pic showing three 416 taylors in the box and these three 404-375's in there so everybody can see how they lay in there just right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures of the stock as promised, there was no sunlight but they came out pretty good still. Old world walnut, I believe genuine French. This bad boy is almost old enough to drink!

It just has some finish on the outsides to show the color.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
NICE blank!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Dago Red...
Nice!
Care to post on the 404-375 thread?
Did you want to be in the dies group buy? $100 a pop!
Thanks!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/660101779/p/8

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stuff, you'll have a unique piece when it's all said and done. I'm very partial to custom Springfields, have a couple myself.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Obviously bolt face was opened but what else was done to accomodate the 375/404?
Tell me some details about magazine box, feed rails, follower please.
I have a Springfield project in its infancy and have thought of a 400 Whelen as the way to go to have a cheap big bore, but a bit of magazine work and open that bolt face up and I have a few more options!!!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the magazine box was opened up as much as it could be without messing with the integrity of the box (I can measure if I really need to) the follower will have to be changed still. I'm thinking this might be the best route for a big bore on a springfield, the dummy rounds lay in there just so easy, whereas the 416's, which will feed out of this, start crossing up in the box where their shoulders touch.

I know the rails were massaged, but I don't know to what degree, and my gunsmith passed away so there is no way of checking. I have an original 06 springfield, so if you want I could get out there and make a bunch of measurements.

with the 400 whelen, from my understanding, you're going to be needing to use 06 basic brass, versus necking up, if you want to get enough of a shoulder. with the 404-375 you're going to be spacing off the belt, and there is no shoulder at all.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steven
I will not be stocking Red's 03. My participation was to help translate where Tom Burgess was going with this project and I'm not really sure I even got that right. The work Tom completed on this action is typical of his efforts. In all seriousness I would love to see what you would do with this project from a stock making prospective. What with your chosen background and talent in filing up the metalwork and stocking Single Shots, Lever Actions and Shotguns the end result on a bolt gun such as this 03 would be pretty stunning in my opinion. I for one would be anticipating the final results.
D'Arcy

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
that is a FABULOUS blank! and thank you for your reply about the rear bridge. very interesting project!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did that wonderful blank come from Bill Dowtin, I saw a reference to Old world walnut?

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually purchased that blank from D'Arcy Echols. When Tom passed I decided the metal deserved better than me trying to make a stock for it myself out of a 200 dollar blank and asked him to help me find one suitable for this project. I believe I really lucked out as I think this one he must have been holding onto for a long time. it has a mark that it was at 7% moisture in 95!! when I said old world I was referring to it being real French walnut. I don't see that ever any more. all the high end blanks now seem to be coming out of turkey.

I owe lots of thanks to D'Arcy for all his help.

Red

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
The rear bridge is pretty cool. I was just looking at my Springfield project yesterday and was wondering if their was anything I could do with mine. Whoever sporterized it ground the bridge flat and extremely thin.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can see the little line where the bridge piece was soldered at. Tom cut the bridge out, and made this piece. not only did it tighten up the fit with the bolt (03a3 action, 03 bolt) but it allowed that lower mounting for the scope. I'm sure it could be done with a different base/ring setup as well. hopefully you have a good gunsmith that can give you a hand.

that or you could go with a side mount

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm studying the use of Sako rings swapped front-to-rear; the Sako front dovetail is wide enough to span/replace the Springfield's rear bridge, and fabbing a front base to take the narrower Sako rear ring wouldn't be difficult. Other dovetails might be wide enough but not the Rugers or Lymans or Kimbers or Warnes or Talleys. I wonder about Brnos and others?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Mr. Echols has something to say on a subject like this, listening is A VERY GOOD IDEA. Steven Dodd Hughes dosn't post here, more's the pity.

Great project. Stay the course. Wish it were mine!

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Really neat project.
That blank is gorgeous - color, figure, flow - everything is just perfect.

This project deserves a really good stockmaker. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote