New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coastal boars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
¡Hi fellow hunters!. I´m new in this Forum and glad to be here. This said and done, I want to tell something about the feral hogs that roam the seaside of Buenos Aires Province. Some say that these were left behind by the first Spanish conquistadores, something of which I´m not so sure. Anyway, the biggest tusks in Argentina may be found between them. And a difficult hunt it is, I promise you. Mud, water, high grass and crabs is all what you usually see. It is the kingdom of horses, handguns and knives. I´ll post some pictures to illustrate the point (I apologize if this not goes well, I´m new in the sport):

SCI
Caza en Argentina Safaris
Buenos Aires, Argentina
E mail carlos.alberto.macias@gmail.com
Phone: (0054 9 11) (15) 5837-7679

Posts: 45 | Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Carlos, those are wonderful pictures. Do you use dogos?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: yes, we use dogos in some hunts (and other breeds, it should be noted). But the star of the hunt is the horse, for my money. Wink. Also, we hunt anything huntable in Argentina, with remarkable success in puma and red stags.

SCI
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posts: 45 | Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: Here I am testing a blind for disabled hunters with an elevator, something which you can´t find very often here. I´ll post more pictures but all my fingers are thumbs Big Grin

SCI
Buenos Aires, Argentina

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Welcome Carlos !!
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.

When you say "with remarkable succes in puma..." what success rate you are talking about ??

Nice idea the blind with an elevator, I hope many disabled hunters will be able to enjoy it thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: thanks for your comment on the elevator, we used it with three hunters the last season and was a marvel, there were archers between them. Regarding your question, I like to hunt pumas the hard way: that means at least two weeks-plus of tough work. The customer has to be very fit (I´m very selective about that and myself walk or run some 6 miles every day) and be prepared to mount a horse and follow a pack of dogs many hours, freeze every night in a blind, check every report of cattle killers and trip over several Provinces, using every known method of finding that furtive cats in the best locations. The last customer traveled 500 kilometers during the hunt, killing his puma in the tenth day, by the way. Of course, under such circumstances a success rate of over 50% is nothing sort of phenomenal. Like you may very well know, this year the La Pampa Province imposed a different kind of hunting after some months of prohibition: the only pumas to be hunted were those raised like chickens in a pen. Mad
Adding this to the canned hunts we all know of, the standard was lowered too much. Anyway, if you are ready to hunt with us and invest many days of hard work and a not unconsiderable quantity of money, come and see. Big Grin

SCI
Buenos Aires, Argentina

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures, Carlos.. that's indeed a very nice hog !!!

And welcome to the forum Wink

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Carlos,
Thanks for your answer, indeed it's a pity the new regulation about puma hunting. They have not only legalized "canned hunting", they are promoting it... Eeker

For those that doesn't know it:
The only legal puma hunting in La Pampa Province is with cats that have been raised for that purpose, not wild cats allowed to be shoot Eeker

So next year if I shoot another cat just like last year I will not be able to post a pictue with it Wink

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: I´ve been very concerned about this subject and followed the post and your question with the utmost attention. It seems that perhaps the incoming year the rules could be changed again. But who knows?. Anyway, there are other Provinces of course. I wonder what happens at Santa Cruz, for instance, where the puma populations are very numerous and the inhabitants are very few. The weather is rough in winter as a rule but there are many unexplored areas. Even Buenos Aires has some in Ventania and Tandilia which remain undetected. Let´s wait and hope Roll Eyes

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote