THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Old and Big - Patagonia Red Stags April 2011
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old and Big - Patagonia Red Stags April 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

My best Red Deer! Back pack hunting alone just a week ago.
The place: A big ranch, 12.500 hectares (30.000 acres) 100 km from Bariloche.
At the peak of the rut. Roaring all over the place. A good and healthy Red Deer population. I saw a few very old males. And some light fightings. Great!
At the 3th day, I was, still dark, at a begening of a small valley with some meadows at the lower part. Saw half a dozen of roaring males. And then this one. 13 points heavy antlers and clearly old. I was seating, still, with the wind in my face and the sun rising at my back. Perfect. After 1 hour, the male and the hinds started to came up toward my position. At 150 meters I decided to shoot. Seated, with my arms at my legs I made the shoot. And shoot again, just in case! And was over. The hinds walked around, not too altered, and left. I decided not to move because I saw what appeared to be a very, very old male. Pale in colour. Roaring steady with 3 hinds. An Old One. 8 points, heavy and at his last times. Not moving from its place. I decided to shoot. From my same position. 300 meters and, also, plenty of time to calculate the shoot. One was enough. The male made 3 steps and fell down. All of this inside 1 hour! My best hunt for these great animals!! I took some pictures with the rifle to appreciate the size of the head!
By the way, I used one of my Mauser 7x57 with a Schmidt & Bender 1,5-6x42 Ret Nº4. The load: 175 grs Nosler Partition at 2650 f/s. Perfect work! All bullets pass throught making a tremendous damage inside. As usual with the NP!! Then, after the pictures, started the real work: 6 hours taking and carring the heads and most (not all) the meat to a path to pick them up next morning....And the Condors started to arrive!

PH

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stags, beautiful country, beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. What a wonderful hunt and two fine stags. And thanks for the photos. You did well. tu2

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Great looking animals, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

That is an UNIQUE stag, not even in our wildest dreams we will see a free range stag like that !!

PH has a life of experience hunting those mountains and this has been his best stag ever, so imagine what we are talking about...

Compare it with a free range 400+ elk and maybe more to have a real idea of what this stag is.

Congrats for such an unique trophy.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
beautifull stag.congratulations.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Must say I am very pleased and grateful to have been there, hunting alone, and finded such an old stag! In many places the problem is these great animals do not have the chance and time to grow old and show their potential.
We, who live around here, have more chances to search for places with the possibility to find one...Anyway, hard work is guaranteed!

PH

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
clap Congratulacions.Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Fantastic stags and a fantastic hunt. Nothing beats being out hunting on your own although I'm sure once those stags were down you wished that you had some help!
Congratulations.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed, Blacktailer!!!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Guille!

PH

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Tremendous! congratualation!
Hope you had help or a horse to pack out!
Regarding the condor--do you see them often?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great stags PH. What a difference it must be to hunt roaring stags in the open instead of the brush of La Pampa.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Yes, Steve. Condors and Black Chested Eagles are abundant here at the highest peaks. And belive or not, they appear very quickly after the shoot if the shoot is made in the morning or in the evening when they are searching for food and preys!!! This is not only my speculation. Have been observed by many hunters and Park Officers.
I had help the next day...To carry all from a path. But I spend 6 hours myself alone to carry all to that path...
This is entirely different to hunt here than in La Pampa during the ruting season, SBT!

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!
I'm very happy for you. Thanks for sharing.
dancing

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very pretty stags there

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW Great Stags !
Beautiful Scenery.

Thanks for shareing.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic and a great way to hunt. It seems so much like our elk hunting, I'd love to hear them roar some day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Stag! Beautiful country,I would love to go there!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, hunt on a lifetime!
Great report and pictures. Thanx for sharing

D

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful stag and setting!Congratulations.Could you please tell us a bit more about your rifle? It looks very nice.Thank you.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Robin,

Thank you and all. My rifle is build with a Mauser 1935 action, originally a Modelo-Mauser-1935, German made for Argentina in 7.65x54 Mauser. The stock is the original military one. Beautiful walnut and perfectly quarter sawn. Modified by a very good gunsmith in Argentina. The black wood in the foreend, pistol grip and the spacer at the back is ebony. And the barrel is an original Steyr 1912, put unused, from the replacement ones made for the Chilean Steyr 1912 7x57 Mauser rifle. This barrel, originaly 74 cm, Aprox. 29", was shortened at the first step, 60 cm, Aprox. 24".
Shoot great and consistently!

PH

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
In my humble opinion, the type of hunt that will be cherished in our memories for the rest of our lives...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Afrikaander.

And yes, indeed!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im going to be in argentina in august. Do you have any advice or contacts to help me plan a stag hunt?

Posts: 38 | Location: Louisiana  | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
In august will be rather difficult. The rut season is march/april.

In La Pampa area will be near imposible to find them without them roaring in la patagonia you will be able to spot and stalk but I believe, maybe I am wrong, that you can hunt them till july.

Someone from Argentina will know better.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi tx,

As Lorenzo said. In Western Patagonia, where I live and usually hunt for R Deer, the peak of the season, the rut, is from March 15th to April 10. After that it is possible to do a spot and stalk hunt. In the same way you do, mostly during the rifle season for Elk. There are very few ranches offering this hunt. But not after the end of June. Mid July at most.

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some places at La Pampa where you may find deer in the nights (feeding in cultivated fields). But the hunting season is over of course.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt and stags!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote