Find
Notify
Tools

Would you shoot a jaguar ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Just wandering what any of us will do if while stalking deers or javalinas a big male jaguar stand infront of us...

Rembeber it's illegal to shoot them but one thing are the text books and another is being in the middle of the monte (bush) with a gun in your hands, a jaguar on sight and the farmer yealling at you to shoot the spotted varmint NOW !!

I can imagine the answer of most of our north americans friends here..you are used to obey the law, but down here we are a little bit more..how can we say it...liberals ? Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Before answering just take a look at the cat that Nick choose as our logo ontop this page..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot one unless it was legally sanctioned.

Just curious here, why is it illegal to hunt jaguar? Are their populations low in number? They certainly are a beautiful animal and, as a trophy, would have to rank right along-side the African cats.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Low number ?? NO !!!!

Just ask some farmers who suffer them in their cattle and all of them will tell you that they are growing in numbers. The thing is that as any cat the jaguar is difficult to study their populations.

I know places where EVERYONE hunts them, literally..you just walk into bars, hotels and ranchs and you will see a jaguar skin hanging from the wall.

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So if jaguar populations are stable, or even increasing, and can support hunting, why is it illegal to hunt them? Is it illegal in every South American country or just a few?

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
They are illegal everywhere but it seems now and then there are exeptions when dealing with problem animals, mostly I think in Bolivia but I'm not sure.

I think it's a pity, sport hunting bring big $$$ to the wild areas and give work to locals that as they receive an income they will me more worried to keep their gold egg chicken alive. This will stop trapping and the shooting of femals or young animals.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm a true beliver that sport hunting helps to protect wild life much more than any other solution.

Go and ask a paraguayan farmer if he will destroy the bush for grassing cattle if he receives more money from foreign hunters...

I have seen with my own eyes how those machines clear the bush as a carpet and at the same time throws an african seed of a grass called gatton panic.

That's just the end of wildlife habitat...

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell yes clap

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
You are not a North American citizen, you are a Texan so your answer doesn't count here... Big Grin

How are you doing my friend ?

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Can I use a bolt action or does it have to be a double? bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
The next time we go fishing reminde me to tell you the time I shot a elephant in south Texas Wink. I missed my chance to kill a jaugar in 1963 on our ranch in Honduras Mad Keep well & tell every one hello for me. We have hade some nice rain hope Marrio has as well.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with you in three countries, Lorenzo ... I am sure that you a fine judge of men .. what do you think I would do ? hillbilly

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Shoot and miss ??? rotflmo

L

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Shoot and miss ??? rotflmo

L

animal

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, but you saw me as such a pathetic sad wretch after I blew the close shot at the running Russian wild boar ... Frowner I suspect that if I missed the jaguar you would be doing the world and me a favour by feeding me to an anaconda or just shooting me. In my frickin' despair I'd welcome it ... CRYBABY

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understood how an animal that ranges from AR to TX could be "endangered"... But, they're pretty, so the nutjobs use them as an symbol...

Personally, what I'd really love to hunt are tigers... Unfortunately, they are almost all gone, but if India/SE Asia ever get's their heads straight on preservation, and there is a huntable population, I will be chasing them... Or rather, hanging out in a tree, trying not to be eaten by them...

I would shoot it if needed/expected, but I'm mainly interested in hunting things that count as food -- don't know why, it's just how I think.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I'm mainly interested in hunting things that count as food -- don't know why, it's just how I think.

thumb

L

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I understand there are something like 5000 tigers in captivity in North America. I recon there are probably at least 2000 jaguars as well.

They estimate there are 300,000 el tigre in the Americas.

I would kill one without even thinking about it. As long as I wasn't in the United States and subject to our laws.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
After careful thought and consideration I have decided that I would not shoot an XJ12 coupe but would shoot one of the sedans.... animal

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would kill one without even thinking about it. As long as I wasn't in the United States and subject to our laws.

Best check the federal code before heading out... knife

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pinotguy's answer is the right answer.

Everyone has a vested interest when you talk about jaguars, wolves, bears, tigers, whatever. Usually there is money to be made, an ego to soothe; and ethics fall by the wayside.

This sounds a lot like the outfitter I hunted with in Canada once. After the hunt he asked me to fill-out the government wildlife form indicating I had seen six grizzlies. The reason being they were not legal, and he wanted justification to have that ban changed. It would put money in his pocket. I listed only the two I had seen.

My guess is that the guy that would pop a jaguar illegally, would also kill the last one, even if he knew it was the only one left. His justification would propbably be that it had to be killed because there were no others left to breed with. Numb-nuts like that make the rest of us look like idiots instead of hunters.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Not that I will ever get the opportunity or be able to bring any part of it back, but if I was hunting in South America, and the chance to shoot a jaguar presented itself, I would shoot and have lots of unforgettable memories to take to my grave.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Just wandering what any of us will do if while stalking deers or javalinas a big male jaguar stand infront of us...

Rembeber it's illegal to shoot them but one thing are the text books and another is being in the middle of the monte (bush) with a gun in your hands, a jaguar on sight and the farmer yealling at you to shoot the spotted varmint NOW !!

I can imagine the answer of most of our north americans friends here..you are used to obey the law, but down here we are a little bit more..how can we say it...liberals ? Big Grin

L
Felis onca I've read info on them being in Mexico and possibly wandering into the southern USA via mexico.Wonder how they'd taste?A friend in Montana shot a mtn lion (Felis concolor)and kept the carcass, he offered some to the houndsmen but they declined.I read an article about alaskan settlers stalking & killing a mtn lion that killed their milk cow,they said the flesh looked like pork and tasted like it.My friends in MT said the same thing & said it was delicious.

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it with my Canon.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i cannot,once i saw snow leopard while shooting himmalayan ibex i was watching him through my scope for good 4 to 5 mins and never thought to pull the triger,i dont know why!!!!!!

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Markhor

I Could have shot a snow leopard when I was hunting Ibex in Pakistan but I did not.

Now if they open legal hunting for it I would not think twice and that applies to both the above cat.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Would I shoot a jaguar? Not unless it was trying to eat me or someone I liked, no. I play by the rules, and frankly, have zero interest in trying to dig my way out of some third world shithole's prison with my fingernails, thanks very much. CRYBABY Wink

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify..I am NOT offering a jaguar hunt !! Confused

I was just wondering how any of us will react if we just step into one and the farmer allow us to shoot.

I have a friend who has a farm and now and then these cats kill some of his cows. As he has invited me to hunt javalinas I was wondering what I would do if I see a jaguar and the man starts shouting...shoot...shoot Big Grin bewildered

L

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
If it was legal in he country I would. Hell yeah I would

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lorenzo,
I have bought my plane ticket & sent you a deposit for the hunt !!!!! Can I apply the deposit on a fishing trip ??? clap

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
If the laws of that country do not permit,I wouldn't.If they are shot so regularly unregulated,I wonder how many are really left in the wild.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
<<<<<<Felis onca I've read info on them being in Mexico and possibly wandering into the southern USA via mexico.Wonder how they'd taste?A friend in Montana shot a mtn lion (Felis concolor)and kept the carcass, he offered some to the houndsmen but they declined.I read an article about alaskan settlers stalking & killing a mtn lion that killed their milk cow,they said the flesh looked like pork and tasted like it.My friends in MT said the same thing & said it was delicious.>>>>>>

Jaguars have been reported off and on in Arizona for more than 100 years, and not just along the Mexican border. Several were killed as far north as the Grand Canyon and the Navajo Indian Reservation many years ago when they were not protected. A couple of years ago a houndsman photographed two that his hounds bayed -- one was in Arizona; the other was in New Mexico. Three more were photographed within the past year with trail cameras south of Tucson.

I breaded and fried some of the backstraps of my mountain lion and African lion. I also pit-barbecued and ate some of the meat from a bobcat I'd killed. All had a distinctive, but not unpleasant taste (it was nothing at all like pork). Cat meat is much whiter than pork when cooked.

Would I shoot a jaguar if I encountered one while hunting something else in South or Central America? In a heartbeat if I could legally do so. Unfortunately, no matter how many of them there may be, I doubt that CITES or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will ever allow an American citizen to import even a whisker or claw.
Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would not.

But I would curse our forbears for eliminating that privilege from our hunting options.

We need to think about our children and their children in deciding all that we do.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot one in Argentina and are caught, you´ll be heavily fined and thrown to jail (you may figure what happens there to foreigners). But I know of some numbers hunted in Bolivia and Paraguay even nowadays. Eeker

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
If you shoot one in Argentina and are caught, you´ll be heavily fined and thrown to jail (you may figure what happens there to foreigners). But I know of some numbers hunted in Bolivia and Paraguay even nowadays. Eeker

Caught and thrown in jail? What about catch and release? animal

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lorenzo,
how much would a decent sized jaguar weigh? I'm guessing between 2&300 lbs? Also "would I shoot one?" YES!.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I would not.

But I would curse our forbears for eliminating that privilege from our hunting options.

A family of bears has nothing to do with it! Wink

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Bill: like you may very well know at this time, it all depends on the bashish Big Grin
To Pichon1: there is one recorded at 440 pounds. Eeker, too much cat for everyone.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Would I shoot a jaguar?

If I were in that hiphotetic situation you L imagine /desire, I think I will act accordingly to the final sensation that challenge (or lack of) would leave me... I would love to hunt a jaguar, not just shoot it.

If I ever happen to have one in my sights just by luck, almost without doing anything on purpose to be in that situation, I think I will let it go...

As said, I would love to hunt a jaguar, not to show my achievement to other rather easy-impressive lads, but to myself - to know that that challenge was won in fair play and feel proud of that.

I think we hunt for meat or to obtain a remarkable trophy... and we alone would ultimately be the judges of that trophy... was it worth?

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, at the end of the day the important thing is the challenge of the hunt and not just shooting something. Honestly I don't know how I will react but all my life I said I will never shhot a puma and the first one that I saw BANG !! Roll Eyes

I thought I was going to feel upset but no, I was very happy with my trophy, I would shoot another one ?? I don't know, probably yes given the chance but I will not "hunt" for one.

But I will love to hunt a leopard, much more than a lion, don't know why.

Returning to the jaguar, what more surprise me is the total misinformation some people have, including here, a hunting forum, about the real numbers of these cats. Some people here don't have problem in shooting an african lion wich I am sure there are MUCH less left than jaguars.

The greenies has suceed in South America and everyone believes what they say. Can someone really know how much cats or any other animal lives in the southamerican jungles ?? give me a break !! A new tribe, yes, a new group of human beings have been discovered this year (2008)and when the plane got near to take pictures they attack it with bows and arrows !!!

Don't believe what PETA or greenies say about game population in South America, I have first hand information, and is that farmers are surprised of the increasing numer of jaguars in their properties.

L

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I suspect bribes to SA officials from Greenie organizations will keep the jaguar from being legally hunted until such time as either the officials become honest(when hell freezes) or the officials realize they can earn more from organized hunting and real game management.
We saw several jaguars at the zoo in PR Saenz Pena, one of which was in the 350 pound range and had been caught close to Resistencia in Chaco Province. It had been seen swimming a river dragging a horse it had killed. It was caught when it came to visit a female jaguar that was in a zoo in the town.
monster jaguar

This jaguar killed a woman zoo-worker

Project Jaguar

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote