New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tigrero
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just read tigrero written by sasha siemel.
What a great story. It's so sad that there is no more Jaguar hunting in brazil.

Does anyone of you know why he called the jaguar "tigre". I think that is not a common name for it, is it?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
In Argentina and I think in Brazil too we call the cougar=león (lion) and jaguar=tigre (tiger).
The same way we call avestruz (ostrich)= ñandú and perdiz (partridge)=tinamú.
The first europian the land here use the names they knew from home to name new animals.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
El tigre is the name most people from Mexico on southward use to call the jaguar. It is as Martin says.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx. I thought tigre is not common because Tony de Almeida wrote that they never use the name tigre and said that it is called onca in brazil.

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Paraguay, argentina, bolivia and the mato grosso, they always referred to the jaguar as tigre...

quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Thx. I thought tigre is not common because Tony de Almeida wrote that they never use the name tigre and said that it is called onca in brazil.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only in Brazil the jaguar is called onca. All the other countries use "tigre".

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the enlightenment. Wink
I will get me the other book "tiger man" as soon as possible.
Did anyone of you ever visit the pantanal? Is it still a place worth to visit and to hunt (with camera)?

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Only in Brazil the jaguar is called onca. All the other countries use "tigre".

"Tigre" apparently is commonly used in all Spanish-speaking countries, but I've also heard the word "jaguar" used by some people in northern Mexico. They pronounce it ha-wahr.

The Portuguese who settled Brazil apparently realized early on that jaguars have spots and not stripes and decided to borrow "onca" from the jaguar's scientific name: Panthera (or Felis) onca.

Interestingly, there is a long-standing myth about a large cat called an "onca" that supposedly roams northern Mexico. It reportedly resembles a mountain lion (puma, cougar) except that it has non-retractible claws and chevron-like markings on its legs. It also is said to be extremely aggressive toward humans.

The Lee brothers, the famous houndsmen from Arizona who hunted mountain lions and jaguars in Mexico in the 1950s and 1960s, claimed they caught and killed an onca and even published a photo of the creature.

It had been raining and the dead animal was sopping wet, so it is hard to tell anything about the animal from that photo.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly correct on Paraguay. Down there, most people use the Guarani word, jaguarete. People of Spanish descent (as opposed to the local Indians) will recognize the word tigre, but jaguarete is definitely the preferred term.