Find
Notify
Tools

Old days of hunting in Brasil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted
Guys, just posting some old photos when hunting was a great deal in Brasil. We had almost everything, safaris, specialized publications, lots of products related to hunting, and, of course, hunting was legall and propperly regulated.

I have a few pictures of Sascha Siemel, I´ll post them later.

Here it goes :

I don´t know how to say the name of these fishes in english, here we call them "cascudo", they live in rock/stone caves in rivers, and they eat stone dirt. very good eating meat.

This guy, called Francisco Barros Jr., was a very famous hunter and writer, he spent most of his life traveling around the country hunting, he hunted almost everything in almost everywhere in Brasil. There is a big collection of books relating his biggest hunting expedition.

This is Mr. Domingos Vieira, who killed a marsh deer with his self made longbow.

Very very big "melo", catched in the sea. Submarine fish hunting.

On the bottom picture theres a good sized jaguar.

Huge cat .

Thats what you guys call "agouti". They are hunted at nigh, the hunter waits them from a tree, with some food under it.

Pecaris hunted in Pantanal.

Capibaras in Pantanal.

Huge fishes !
Pirarucu, piratinga and pirarara.

A deer that was caught by hand.

Mr. Walter Buttel, famous hunter in Brazil.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Reiter, very interesting. Thank You. Wonderful old magazines. Would love to see some larger photos.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reiter,
Do think there is a chance of those glory years returning to Brasil, or is the political climate such that hunting is gone forever?

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Graves, the pictures are originally bigger, but I rezised them for make it easier to upload.

Next time I´ll try to post larger ones.

John, here we are trying just to keep the righ of having firearms at home ! There are so many taxes, and this left wing goverment wants to create an annual taxe of R$ 300 ( Us 150 ) per firearms ! Its becoming unaffordable to keep them, unfortunatelly. But lets see where this will go.

About the hunting, I´ll believe when
people discover how much money hunting can make, they will accept it righ away, just as 1 province/state in Brasil already did it. It´s getting bigger, SCI chapter here is helping a lot, but it´s almost nothing compared to 40 years ago. The most important thing we need here is an organization to represent us ( hunting, shooters, firearms owners), with , like, 10.000 members, so they could have massive voice in the parlament.

The only place is legal to hunt, like I said, is in Rio grande do Sul, our southern state, but it´s soo expensive, that you could go to Uruguay, Paraguay or Argentina, 100km away, hunt the exact same things under the same conditions, and it´s a lot more cheaper. I hope we learn something with our neighbors.

See you guys, I´ll post other pictures later.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Reiter, i read Capsticks tale of the Marajò island Red Water buffalo and also here in the Nickkudu files was a story about that hunt.

Yeezzzzz that was a very interessting and fun hunt that i hope will be back up in some years....

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote