Notify
Tools

El Trigrero - Sasha Siemel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted
A few pictures of Sasha Siemel, in Brasil:

Sasha with typical "pantanal" dogs, that came from mixed other breeds, later on crossed with the american fox hound, creating a great hound dog breed.

Camp:

Sasha and Thomas Dolan.

Sasha and T. Roosevelt Jr.

Joaquim Guato, the native that teached Mr. Siemel how to use the zagaia (spear), and became his close fried.

his wife, Edith, and Joaquim Guató.

Jaguar hunted by Edith, and the dog is a cross (foxhoundXpantanal dog)

Big jaguar taken with a mauser, and baionet.

Sasha with his foxhounds. Mr. Siemel was the one that introduced this breed in Brasil, in the 30´s.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonderful old picts. Those are some monstrous jaguars. Thanks

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Great photos. I thought I had one of his books, but I cannot find it. His exploits with the spear were good reading.....as I recall he would provoke a charge, had the end of the spear firmly planted in the ground, and a guard
(hilt) somewhat below the point to keep the jaguar from sliding all the way down and into him. A man of men. knifeclap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to a local college to hear him speak in maybe 1960 or so. I was nine then. He showed some of his reel to reel movies of the area he lived in and hunted. Also movies of him killing a jaguar with only a spear.

I can see him driving the spear into that cat as real now as it was nearly fifty years ago. You would have to see it to know how unbelieveable it was. Toughest man that ever hunted.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics !!

http://www.sashasiemel.com/

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures!
There is an article by Siemel on the Net:

http://members.tripod.com/~tmuss/shotfrompast/sas2.htm

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found this on YouTube. A little psicodelic so wait until the ende.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-or8Y6ZYTDs&feature=related

Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In one of the books of PHC there is an excellent chapter dedicated to Sasha Siemel,i believe is on DEATH AT SILENT PLACES,I BELIEVE THAT WITH OUR DOGS ITS TOTALLY POSIBLY TO KILL PUMAS ,JAGUARS AND EVEN BUFFALOS WITH SPEAR .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Pig Sticking ? I am in !!! dancing So with cougars ...

I also volunteer myself to test me with Jaguars and Buffalos, thou they will have to wait till I get a little more experienced with spears Wink !!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures! Thank you very much.

I also remember reading about him in Capstick's book. Very interesting.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
As with BillintheWild, I have Sasha's book, "Tigrero!", somewhere among my books. I think he produced another title also, but I've not seen it. The adventures that man had were incredible!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice pics. I too have a copy of "Tigrero". Wonder what happened to Sasha?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
http://www.sashasiemel.com/

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SGraves155:
[URL=http://www.sashasiemel.com/

Beat me to it. I was going to post the same website. I have done a little research on Latvia and Riga. It would not surprise me to learn that Siemel was a Jew. Many Jews left Latvia about the time he did, as well as in the years preceding his departure, as a result of rampant anti semitism in those countries. My grandfather left about the same time, with my grandmother, father and his siblings a few years later.
Rest in peace, Sasha, you accomplished a great deal and lived a long and adventurous life. salute

And for Bill Q. I located my book. It was not Tigrero, but Tiger Man by Duguid. Same story related.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
An intereting side note:

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10239&highlight=sasha

Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin ,as always wrote an excellent article about this cold steel hunter ,but most of you dont know that hes a reall good gunwriter here in Argentina ,a great admirer of Jeff Cooper and a real gun expert .He wrote several years ago an excellent article about the scout rifle .
oN RESPECT WHAT HAPENED WITH sASHAHE MARRIED eDITH bAY A pHILADELPHIAN,RUN SAFARIS,GAVE LECTURES IN usa AND WROTE TIGRERO .He died in Green Lane ,Pennsylvania,in february 1970 when he was nearly 80 years of age.In DEATH AT SILENT PLACES PHC dedicated a chapter to him.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the side note. But I fail to know the name of this man, perhaps I overlooked it. What I saw was a proud man, a strong man, and a Grandfather to be proud of.....and Juan is correct, his bearing reminds me of Cooper.
His motorcycle keeps him young.... thumb

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,
Thanks for your kind words.
Im working on translation of the article about the Scout as I promise so I can post it here.
billinthewild,
He never told his grandfather name.

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli