New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slow cooked pulled deer shoulder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine shot 220 lb, 11 point Friday night and he gave me the right front shoulder.

We figured it was a 6 yr old deer so I cut it up to fit into a roasting pan, basted it with lots of bacon fat and seasoned it with garlic plugs, onion, salt, pepper and cumin. I put a beer in the pan and covered it with foil and roasted it for 6 hours at 275 degrees and took the foil off at 5:30 hours. We ate some of it as a roast and it was so tender, I pulled it apart like pulled pork and mixed a vinager and hot pepper sauce and put some on a bun. SOme gravey from the drippings, rice, croak pot baked beans and biscuits made dinner for 8 with only left overs for the dogs. Ya gotta keep the moisture in or it is tough as hell.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
damn i am salivating...i need to eat

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right "front" shoulder? Never saw a deer with a rear shoulder. jump

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wise ass....I stand corrected....I suppose the back parts would be hips or hams or butts or hind quarters. How about if next time I call it the right front "upper leg thing"?

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
lowrider...i think he needs an old fashioned duel at high noon. the rule i try to go by here is type as if you are speaking face to face. it is easy to insult from a keyboard. he is new and i hope he was just adding levity and not being a jerk. your recipe is still mmmm mmmm good thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figerd he was funnin!!

Really not much too cooking to it. I've done roasts that way before and used the left overs for chilli or sloppy Joe's on a bun. I usually eat more than my share while I'm slicing the roast.....those little pieces that fall off the edges....ya gotta eat em or they might fall off the plate and dogs ul git em!!

Give it a try...the key (I think) is to keep the tin foil tight to keep it moist.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bet the left front shoulder woulda tasted about the same,but you must not like to taste the meat at all with all that seasoning.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought spices enhance the taste and sauces cover it up. I wrap up back strap in bacon when I cook it on the grill...just like filet mignon....I like the taste of bacon and it keeps the meat moist too. I also put cooked bacon on grilled cheese 'cause it's good. I gotta agree with you on crabs...too much spice and you can't taste the crab!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cooked a loin in the crock pot once and it was as tough as shoe leather. I figured it was going to come out fork tender, but it wasn't fit to eat. Any ideas on where I went wrong?

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert here, but throwing a backstarp in the crock pot will get you tough meat. I think just like shrimp, you don't want to over cook backstrap. That is filet mignon of deer and it really needs to be rare and not well cooked IMO. On the grill with high heat for 6 minutes or so and turn will get you pretty good meat.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update to last post.......tonight we had backstrap on the grill (6 min each side) brushed with first squeeze olive oil soaked in a maranade with garlic a little vinegar and black olives. We had the last bit of sweet corn, rice and some dinner biscuits with butter and honey. I started it with the last of the tomatos in a salad and Vadalia onion vineragret dressing and I was forced to eat a bowl full of apple cobler with vanilla ice cream on top. No damn wonder I need to loose 30 lbs!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Lowrider 49 is exactly right. Different cuts of meat need different treatment. The more "tender" the cut the quicker it needs to be cooked. A tough cut needs slow, and low heat (to break down the connective tissue).

A rolled shoulder roast would be better crockpot ammo. Smiler

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider-not trying to embarrass you, but that is a standing joke in our bunch. Everyone does it at least once, and most of us several times. Other standards are "ideal" instead of idea--in memory of James, "IAL" for It Ain't Level in memory of Ron who absolutely insisted his blind had to be no more than a fourth-bubble off level, the AH, original AH, the FAAH for former members (A--hole who became the original AH, and the F------ Alaskan A-hole). Anyone else have any standing jokes around their lease?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

You lost me there....

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of Rusa deer for our St Barbara day celebration, I asked my mate for a couple of Chital but he couldn't get them to stand still long enough, "hope they are big enough" he said, 35 kg of meat for 20 guys yep they were big enough. We cooked them in a couple of gas fired roasting ovens and basted them with olive oil, garlic and rosemary the fatter of the two was certainly the better and cooking them until they were just a little pink inside made all the difference.
Pete.

Posts: 58 | Location: Tindal N.T Australia | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NT,

Sounds like you done it right!!

Saturday is the last day of deer gun season here in Maryland...a group of my hunting buddies about the same size as you had put a dead doe in a charcoal pit and cook it all day Sunday and then we eat it....we usually don't have much left over. There has been known to be a little brew and some corn whiskey too, but no women....it's not a bad way to end the season!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm really curious what a LIVE doe would taste like?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, you are a Marylander! I live next door in WV. All the deer we cook are DEAD! jumping

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
NT,

Sounds like you done it right!!

Saturday is the last day of deer gun season here in Maryland...a group of my hunting buddies about the same size as you had put a dead doe in a charcoal pit and cook it all day Sunday and then we eat it....we usually don't have much left over. There has been known to be a little brew and some corn whiskey too, but no women....it's not a bad way to end the season!!

That sounds like a great way to cook a deer, do you cover it with anything like the Hawiian style or is it roasted over a charcol fire. I'm curious about the corn whiskey, is it something you get from the bottle shop or something you make yourself?
Pete.

Posts: 58 | Location: Tindal N.T Australia | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nt,

We skin and gut the deer, clean it up a bit and split it in half, cut the neck off and lay it with the rest of the deer. Our grill is made from a concrete block wall three high and a metal single bed with springs and wire that used to support the mattress.

We put about 20 kilos of charcoal under the bed springs and put the deer on top...meat side up. We then cover the whole thing with sheet metal to keep the heat inside. We usually throw some wet wood in to add some smoke. We baste it with bacon fat when we put it on and then after about 4 hours we put more on the meat and add another 10-15 kilos of charcoal in the bottom of the pit. After 7-8 hours, it is cooked thru. the outside is real dark and dry, but the inside is cooked just right. We had bean soup with ham, baked beans, deer chili, corn bread, rice, fried potatoes and biscuits. Cherry cobler and apple pie for desert. Not a good idea to stand down wind.

The corn squeezings is usually Jack Daniels or Passport Scotch and sometimes the beer of choice. Fosters would fit here fine.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fosters would fit here fine.[/QUOTE]

By Fosters you mean the Fosters that you get in the blue cans from Aus? I've yet to meet anyone that admits to drinking the stuff, all I can say if it is the same stuff they must breed them tough in your part of the world!! Now Jack Daniels is another story altogether.
Pete.
Pete.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NT,

DAMN...if you listen to the TV commercials over here, you'd think Aussies ONLY drink Fosters....not ever water or milk!!

Alright, what should I look for when I buy Austrailian beer?? I don't want to get this wrong!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
NT,

DAMN...if you listen to the TV commercials over here, you'd think Aussies ONLY drink Fosters....not ever water or milk!!

Alright, what should I look for when I buy Austrailian beer?? I don't want to get this wrong!!

I'm originally from the West coast so I used to drink Emu bitter or Swan lager which are both full strength, since I moved to the Northern Territory I mainly drink XXXX which is mid strength probably because most places you can't buy the other two. If you go by the amount of empty beer cans in the rest bays between towns up here you would think everyone drank Victoria Bitter! Oh yeah and Wild Turkey is the nectar of the gods. I tried a few USA beers while I was working with your guys overseas a couple of years ago and I thought they were pretty good.