New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Turkey
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently turned over a big turkey to the taxidermist and he cut the breast out of it for me and told me how to fix it:

Slice it in thin strips with the grain. Pound out with meat hammer. Roll in Italian bread crumbs and fry.

For some reason i forgot to pound out with meat hammer, but it tasted great anyway. Something like McNuggets only better.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What yer makin there is turkey schnitzle, one of my favourites. You should really cut it across the grain though...it'll be a little more tender.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take my Wild Turkey neat or with a littel water.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL Big Grin

Plinker

aim small, hit small

posted Hide Post
We do wild turkey twice a year. It takes alot of time, but we pluck them very carefully. skin tears easys. wash very well . cook like you would a store bought turkey. Use a poultry
thermometer to tell when done. don't over cook. baste well with butter.

Posts: 6 | Location: drumright oklahoma | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
dang judge...you beat me to that one thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker,
Try getting some buttermilk and putting it in a stainless bowl along with 1 heaping Tbs, each of garlic powder, onion powder and 1 Tps of fine black pepper. Whisk it all together and put your turkey breast strips in that, mix it up good, cover and marinade in the fridge overnight. Bring to room temp and shake the strips well in a bag of Italian bread crumbs and fry in fresh peanut oil and dont overcook it.

Same for venison, elk, antelope, caribou and moose strips. The buttermilk adds a lot to the equation, I've found.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had wild turkey cooked several ways, and I've found it to be somewhere between tasteless and tough at each tasting. One of the reasons I don't hunt the feathered rats ( I call them that because they scratch up my food plot plantings and haunt my deer feeders). Of course, I do hunt pheasants and think they are one of the worst table birds, just ahead of wild turkey, sharptails, and sage grouse, in about that order.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
Plinker,
Try getting some buttermilk and putting it in a stainless bowl along with 1 heaping Tbs, each of garlic powder, onion powder and 1 Tps of fine black pepper. Whisk it all together and put your turkey breast strips in that, mix it up good, cover and marinade in the fridge overnight. Bring to room temp and shake the strips well in a bag of Italian bread crumbs and fry in fresh peanut oil and dont overcook it.

Same for venison, elk, antelope, caribou and moose strips. The buttermilk adds a lot to the equation, I've found.

DB

Thanks, that really sounds good, i'll give it a try next time i get some wild game.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you pluck turkeys, if you pour scalding water over them, the feathers come out easily, with the exception of the larger wing quills.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote