Find
Notify
Tools

Best Venison poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Lots of choices, but what's your favorite?

Question:
What's your favorite venison?

Choices:
whitetail
muley/blacktail
moose
caribou
elk
pronghorn
axis
blackbuck
buffalo
other (please list)

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Axis is unbelievably moist and delicious. Just a note on the pronghorn, however. When I first hunted them in Montana, we sought to donate the meat. We could give our mule deer meat to anyone, but NO ONE wanted the prong. We boned it out and brought it back with us. I was simply amazed that no one had wanted this sweet, tender meat. Guess it only proves you can't always believe everything you hear.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sitka Blacktail Deer

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll take whitetail run thru the cuber in onion gravy.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
If the vote is for best tasting, caribou. I've had it cooked several different ways and always good. Of course whitetail is my favorite because that's what I cook primarily. If I cooked whitetail next to caribou, same way I could give a more unbiased opinion.

In other words, caribou were cooked by people that could cook and were great. Most whitetails were cooked by me (I can't cook) and very still very, very good.

I haven't tried blacktail, axis, or pronghorn.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Elk is the best, with antelope a close second. I use my deer meat for sausage.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you put muley & blacktail in the same category. Sitka blacktails are the best I've had.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I've never had blacktail (or american buffalo/bison). Muley's vary alot depending upon what they're eating (like all the others)and I should have realized that blacktails have an entirely different diet and should be separate.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bison I've had was very good but it was ranch raised. I've had ranch raised whitetail and there was a difference between it and wild. Hell imo theres a difference between Iowa/Nebraska whitetails and Michigan or South Carolina Whitetail.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
You just can't beat chicken fried axis back strap. Just melts in your mouth like butter.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our midwest corn fed whitetail are hard to beat for flavor.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like medallions of red stag (and roe deer) the best - especially when served with a red wine sauce and chanterelle mushrooms. I have had this many times in Austria and it is absolutely delicious! Elk is my favorite venison here at home.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corn feeding does give a ton of flavour. I'd much prefer a nice muley or whitetail that's been feeding in someones grain fields. Same with beef, corn gives it a "musty" flavour and yellowish fat. Grain produces a nice creamy white fat and mild taste. I'm not knocking corn fed though it's what you're used to that's usually the best.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Though I voted for Moose, because of the abundance of good roasts on one. it's actually a tie for me, with Caribou.

The Dogribs on the Alberta/NWT border first introduced me to dried caribou ribs (not cooked), and they are delicious. Carried as a "snack" while hunting or traveling cross country, they are great. Just whip out a piece of rib, and gnaw off the meat while continuing to travel.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Fallow has a fine grain and delicate flavour when compared to other game.

It is also more tender than the others when treated correctly and hung properly.

Fallow medalions barbqued over beech coals with only cracked pepper and salt for seasoning eaten in the hills has to be heaven on earth when accompanied by mashed potatoes and gravy.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried Red, Roe and Fallow and I think Roe is easily the best of those 3.

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pronghorn usually eats a diet high in sagebrush which gives it a strong flavor .I had some pronghorn taken out of a wheat field - it was delicious !!!Diet plays a major part. There is a distinct difference here when there is a good acorn crop ,much better. coffee

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Not an easy poll to respond to. I enjoyed pronghorn for dinner this evening and it was excellent. It would almost be easier to vote on the worst. I have found almost every critter mentioned to be quite good if treated properly when taken, not in the rut and not an aged bull or ram. I have never had moose or caribou, and the buffalo bull I took was terrible, contrasted with a cow taken later on that was excellent. coffee cigar

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote