Find
Notify
Tools

Green chile and bacon quiche
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Going to give this one a try real soon. My sweetie and I are going to Hatch tomorrow to buy our fresh-roasted chiles for the year. Wish I could send you all a whiff of that wonderful smell!

Hatch Green Chile and Bacon Quiche.
Ingredients
1 Pie Crust
6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled or meat of choice. (I used 1 C ground beef seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder.)
1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese small cubes
1 cup Mild Cheddar Cheese small cubes
1/2 cup Hatch chiles roasted, peeled and rough chopped. 4 - 8 chiles depending on size. Add more if you'd like more spice.
1/4 cup sweet onion chopped
1 1/4 cup Half and Half
4 Eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Gently press homemade pie crust into 9-inch deep dish plate.
Cook bacon or seasoned meat choice in large skillet over medium heat until brown. Drain grease.
Sprinkle bacon/meat, Hatch chiles, onions over the pie crust. Add the cheese cubes.
Mix together half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Once mixed, pour mixture into crust.
Bake quiche for 30 - 40 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Let quiche stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
Notes
Use 1 or 2 4-ounce cans of chopped Hatch Chile peppers from the Mexican food aisle if you don't have fresh roasted chiles.

From the New Mexico Recipes Facebook page

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That sounds good. I'm not a hot pepper type but I do grow some nice jalapenos. I am going to roast a few for chili and other recipes. They might work well for something like this too.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Geez Bill, that sounds divine! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, my recipe is very close to yours I just saute my chopped onions with some sliced mushrooms in the bacon grease.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, the beauty of the Hatch green chile is the amount of roasted pepper flavor they bring to a dish. You can adjust the heat from minimal to "holy cats" by selecting mild, medium, hot or extra hot. I like medium -- lots of chile pepper goodness and just enough heat to know you ate some. To me, jalapeños add more heat than flavor.
Randy, I am a huge believer in adding sauteed mushrooms to a quiche.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a really . . . REALLY good place to invest a pound of frozen Green!

One dinner for next week taken care of . . No that will go for two!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, it won't last that long! Cool

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can adjust the heat from minimal to "holy cats" by selecting mild, medium, hot or extra hot. I like medium -- lots of chile pepper goodness and just enough heat to know you ate some.

LOL, holy cats- I like that.

I actually grow mild jalapenos. Good chili pepper flavor with very minimal if any, heat but definitely not a bell pepper (which I absolutely abhor) flavor. I like to be able to taste all the ingredients and not just be sweating bullets and runny nose when eating food.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
"Mexibell"
A bell with heat.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I always add spinach in mine too.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I don't add spinach but do add very finely chopped broccoli florets.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about cooking bacon fully then dicing up, have a cheese blend of your liking to mix with and stuff the hatch chilies. Fry up corn tortillas slightly, wrap around stuffed chilies then add to a casserole dish till full, cover with enchilada sauce, diced onion, more cheese and bake to your liking and garnish with cilantro

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that sounds delicious too! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does! Smiler P.S. don't forget the garlic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
“Chilichanchochadas” is my new name for this dish

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
How about cooking bacon fully then dicing up, have a cheese blend of your liking to mix with and stuff the hatch chilies. Fry up corn tortillas slightly, wrap around stuffed chilies then add to a casserole dish till full, cover with enchilada sauce, diced onion, more cheese and bake to your liking and garnish with cilantro

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is definitely an enchilada theme + that is good! Also being raised as a Protestant I have a fondness for casseroles. Yoy remember the old story of the teacher asking the kids to bring in a symbol of their religion. The catholic kid being as a cross, the Jewish kid brings a menora, + the baptist kid brings a casserole. Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boomie, your chileanchochadas are on my must-try list.
I will note that chile is spelled with an "e" in these parts. We even have an institute! Cool

https://cpi.nmsu.edu/

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A toothpick might be needed to the individual Chilechanchochadas. I want to try it myself. I never made them, I just made it up here on the thread. beer Poblanos will be easier for me to get here locally but I can see what my options are to get Hatch chiles mailed to me. I may have to grow them. Right now I am growing other peppers and my Carolina Reapers are my most successful grow but I can barely eat a small bit at a time with those. They are impossibly hot not to mention that they are too small. I may try Reaper poppers though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may try Reaper poppers though.

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Okay, baked this last night and had a slice for breakfast this morning. Very disappointing. Way too much bland cheese and not enough custard for starters. The onions were overwhelming. Did get some Hatch heat, but again, the onions overwhelmed even the pepper flavor.
I would suggest simply adding some chopped Hatch to your favorite quiche. Mine is the basic Quiche Lorraine recipe out of the Joy of Cooking. Will try again.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Did you use sweet onion?
Small dice?
Seems the onion was too strong
Maui onions are perfect for this.
Later in my cooking life I learned to test all my herbs and ingredients to interpret the recipe and change to my liking. A recipe to me is more like traffic laws that I bend or just make my own recipe based on inspiration from the original. Sometimes I even double some ingredients based on my whims. Sad that your dish was ruined by your onions. Quiche done right is damn good.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, a Colorado sweet, but it wasn't all that sweet, and my SO did a coarser dice than I would have preferred. Instead of a 1/4 cup, I'd try a tablespoon of minced Walla Walla or Vidalia.
Still, the flavors were just not in balance.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, can you get the Texas 1024 onions there? A+M developed these on the 24th of October several years ago thus the name. A really nice sweet onion. When they come up again in the next month I'll send you one if you like.