THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard 12ga brass shells in rifled barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington 870 pump gun with a fully rifled barrel and I have seen the Sabatti produces a fully rifled 12ga side by side. Truth be told, it shoots Winchest factory slugs very well, one ragged hole at 50 meters.

I also have a very nice little .410 s/s with external hammers that would be nice to shoot with light loads and pistol bullets.

I have found a source for brass shells http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/products.asp?dept=202 and am starting to think about putting together some ammo in a rifle cartridge configuration.

Is there anything to be gained from using a slug just off the lands seated into a brass case or are standard plastic shells just as good?

I am also considering turning some banded 12ga copper solids on my lathe as part of the experiment.

One other thing that might pose a problem, since we are talking about factory shotguns is that we loads need to be in line with factory pressures - would seating the slug out of a brass case mean that I end up with a large airspace? What powder would be best suited?

I ran a search here and only came up with the shotgun from hell, which is pretty cool, but not really usefull to the average hunter.

Any advice?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please tell us more about The Sabatti links?
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass cases you show are balloon head and nobetter than
plastic. Youcan get plastic to reload for 12 cents ea,
or new primed and sized 30 cents.

There will be no way with the long forcing cones in shotguns
that you can get slugs out far enough to get near the lands, like on a rifles with a relatively shorter freebores.

On 12GA FH thread we have slower powder loads get much more power than
factory in plastic cases.And you don't load with airspace.Our slower
powder loads lab tested about same pressures as factory magnum
slug loads. Where is info on Sabbatti rifled double, many
would like one, as many are thinking of building some. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.sabatti.it/eng/framesetgiustapposti.htm

Mod. SABA - Mod. SABA Mon. - cal. 12 o 16 o 20 o 28 o 410

Side by side hammerless double-barrel shotgun with an improved version of the Anson Deeley action-mechanism.
The barrels are made out of a chromium-molybdenum solid steel bar. Once drilled, bored and rectified, they are inserted in the monoblock and welded using a silver alloy at medium temperature. The inner-side of the barrels is honed and chromed.
The action-receiver is forged and milled from a solid block of high-strength steel. After engraving, it undergoes a heat-treatment to achieve surface hardening.
Pistol grip stock in selected walnut, or English style available upon request.
A gold plated single trigger is fitted in the model Saba Mon.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick, I don't think that is the gun I was talking about, I saw it a yearly catalogue, kinda like the Shooters Bible, but it's not on the website. This gun has a stock configuration closer to their rifle stocks and is fully rifles.

Any ideas on the loading? I found that 9,3x74R brass fit the bill nicely for the .410, I would just have to find a safe way to fire form it then trim to length.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote