New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slug recovery?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know where i can buy gel that i need to recover my slug after i shoot it from my shotgun? I am making a rifled double barrel built and i need to measure the slug after shoot it,so that the reason i need the gel.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you hand load? If so, what if you just worked up a load that had just enough powder to get the slug out of the barrel? Catch it in a phone book or stack of newspaper?

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Sounds like quite a project. Tell us more.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are just making a rifled 2-ga. double barrel
sluggun,but we need to recover the slug for true measurement of the orginal barrel that all.Will show more when we start the precess and we need alittle help from the gang.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last post is a 20gs.sluggun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd think shooting down into a 55 gal drum full of water (top cut out) would do it. It might take a bit of sand at the bottom. If not a friendly swimming pool owner's deep end would work for sure.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one Vendor:

Corbin SIM-TESTtm Ballistic Media
http://www.corbins.com/sim-test.htm

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a 1gallon jug of water? with the target glue to one side of the jug?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the 55 gallon drum full of water with the top cut out, if they are full hilt loads the slug is going to expand a lot. Also if you do try that put a piece of cardboard over the top of the drum to cut down the splash back. Now a reduced load into the drum may not expand the slug. Good idea too to get some metal screen door screen and cut a circle just a tad smaller to fit inside the drum and tie string to it or light wire in four place so you can retrieve your slug by pulling up the screen.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I am trying to figure out what you wish to accomplish with this. If you are just wanting bore and groove diameter then you'd be better off just driving a slug through the bore. Are you shooting it with a wad (shotcup) and want to inspect the wad too, or just want to see if the rifling grips the slug?

In regards to measuring, as mentioned the slug is going to distort when it gets stopped so any measurements are going to be inaccurate.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N this is what my gunsmsmith wanted. So i just ask for some help that all.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here you are then:

http://www.customcartridge.com/pdfs/BallisticGel.pdf

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ballistics-Gel

Let us know how it goes!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Take a pure lead ball slightly larger than the bore size. Push one in from the breech end an inch or so past the chamber. Push it back out the breech. Do the same from the muzzle end.
This is how you slug a barrel.
You can also measure the muzzle of the barrel with a dial caliper. If you have a set of internal telescoping gauges you can measure a few inches down inside the muzzle.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I picked this one cause of the girl tu2 But there are several how to's on making ballistics gel.You will want to make a larger one using a larger mold but i've saw it work just fine when molded into say 12x12x24.

http://www.youtube.com/user/He...search/0/3vtKwk51MCQ

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A big snow bank would do it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote