THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I really like the body style changes and the power-plant is awesome. Over 1 million engineering man-hours on the engine alone. Even at the base of 450+ horsepower, this engine has a lot more future potential in the upgraded models, whatever/whenever they develop them. I am predicting a 2015 Z06/ZR1 with 600 and 650 HP respectively, if not more. How long before 700HP is breached in a factory production (USA) sports car?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long before 700HP is breached in a factory production (USA) sports car?

Not too long, I this your right close with s ZR1. The Viper is at 640HP. Wouldn't take a whole lot to bump it 60hp.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Shelby Mustang included?

You buy the highest HP American Production Sports Car in history, GT 500, at 662 Horsepower at your dealer. Then it can go back to Shelby's shop for the 725 or 850HP packages.

The Viper isn't going up in HP. Remember, Fiat now owns them, and they are not going to allow the Viper to have more HP than the big dog Ferrari.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going back to a customizer shop for upgrades don't count...it ain't factory installed even if it is under a specific warranty. FACTORY. Who will be the first to breach the magical number? It is hard to believe either the gubmint or insurance companies are not cracking down yet. The C6 Z06 with 505 naturally aspirated HP is one very daunting sportscar and that thing can get away on you damned quick. I don't know anyone with the 630hp ZR1 and I am sure that is one quick ride as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow,

the car goes back to the original manufacturer, not some aftermarket shop. It gets them around the CAFE and emission limitations.

It is a Shelby GT 500, NOT a Ford Mustang. They say "Shelby" on the MSO.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once these high powered cars were only in the hands of a few with their high price tag.
Now 30 years olds can get a hold of them (Shelby GT). Not sure where they are going with his HP thing, especially in the hands of people (masses) not making good judgement with them. Texting and 650 HP is a disaster in the making.
I have a young nephew selling Fords. He mentioned a lot of the Shelby's are returning wrecked shortly after leaving the showroom floor.
In the hands of the capable, they are likely a lot of fun on the right road.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Shelby has made one with over 1000hp. Google it, I believe they called it the SuperSnake. It was a one off car they built essentially to see if it was possible to surpass 1000 with a factory motor. Now of course there was not much factory about it, all the rotating components were wild upgrades.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, Shelby is not a factory production car. Shelby is a custom tuner shop. They take a Ford and option it to the gills. Now, if that Shelby was built within Ford's walls...that would be different. The Vette ZR1 is built in the same chevy factory as all the rest of the Vettes.....that is a factory production car. The real good thing about purchasing a ZR1 is that you must take a racing/track course before taking possession of the car.

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
The new GT500 *is*, in fact, built on the same assembly line as the regular mustangs. A quick search would reveal that.
The new LT1 engine in the corvette is spectacular however it now has cam-driven direct injection, which will be a royal pain to get everything tuned right for the heavier upgrades, like a cam and head swap. I haven't heard much of a new Z06 or ZR1 yet, but I'm sure something good will be popping up.
With all the new regulations on gas efficiency they'd be wise to do it quickly if we want a 700hp factory production vehicle. That being said, despite the current horsepower plus gas efficiency war going on, it will be hard for the big companies to breach the 700hp mark and justify the need. Sure, the niche manufacturers, Ferrari as noted, and some of the European oriented companies may not have that problem. In the US, they are pounding their fists and demanding gas mileage, more tech crap and more automated safety features. I'm sure whenever I get old as hell there will be full electric 1,000+hp super cars that can go for a month on a single charge. But right now, it had better be a swift move.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It helps the gas mileage by adding more gears. The new C7 now has a 7 speed manual gearbox. Yes the GT500 IS, but being sent back to Shelby for the HP upgrades makes it a custom tuner car. I like the Mustangs, not a thing wrong with them. However, I am a bowtie fanatic. Never owned anything other in my 37 years of driving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, I am with you on that, as I do own many Chevy / GM / Pontiac vehicles right now, and even own a 350z with a Chevy LS1 engine and transmission. Never owned a mustang either, or a Ford for that matter as it just has never appealed to me. Not that they are not good, but the first engine I tore down with my dad was a 383 stroker out of my old '71 Camaro.
I will be selling my GTO one way or another, as I just bought a '09 Maserati Quattrporte S, and one car has to go. That car has been turned into a custom tuner car, putting out 552 horsepower.
That is where I have to disagree with you. Not trying to he an ass but, there is a difference. The GT500 is sent straight to the dealership from Ford pushing 662 horsepower, with Shelby on it as they are the ones with the rights to the build and tuning. However, this all occurs before being transferred from dealership to customer, therefore it is, and should be, still considered a factory specification vehicle.
Now you drive it for a month or two and realize that 662 horsepower just isn't cutting it, or it's not loud enough, or the stereo system sucks, this is the crossroad. Either you take it to the dealership and have some work done, provided they have the capacity to work on it, and it becomes a dealership modified vehicle, or you take it to a trusted mechanic or friend that can turn a wrench, in which it becomes a customized, tuner vehicle.
Granted I'm all about loud vehicles but horsepower does have diminishing returns. Lots of it is fun, but it soon turns into a liability and sometimes renders the vehicle less reliable. As noted too, in this age where an "OMG LOL WTF LULZ HEHE I IS DRIVIN LIK 100 RGHT NO!!!" texts are sent (yes I have a daughter) whilst driving, I shudder at the high horsepower vehicles.

-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow S,

Shelby is a manufacturer. Their cars are Mustang based, but the MSO does not say "Ford" anywhere.

Check out their website.

Look at the 725 and 850 HP options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, the vehicle you are talking about is the super snake. Look at both Ford and Shelby websites. Ford - Ford Shelby Mustang GT500. Shelby - Shelby Cobra. They have a Shelby Focus and Shelby Raptor, both obviously Ford vehicles. You cannot simply polish a turd and call it a stone.

-Dr. Ski

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making hp is pretty easy. Keeping things from breaking is another matter all together.
There are already some 700 hp factory cars but not something the average citizen can afford to buy. The Shelby is known for high hp but the biggest complaint is it can't put the power to the ground because of smallish tires.

I like the 2014 Corvette. Since it is basically new from the ground up it will take awhile before GM feels confident in upping the hp. Pretty much everyone who buys one will be a beta tester for the first year or so. I also been told that direct injected engines are harder to modify. Have no idea if it is true but just something I heard floating around on the Corvette Forum.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow,

the engine/car combination you are puffing up exists only in your fantasies.

One other thing, you can buy a Shelby convertible.
GM hasn't even shown a prototype corvette.

A year or two, maybe longer before either appears, if indeed they ever do.

Of course, if the thought of a Shelby thrashing the puny 450HP corvette is too painful, consider a Jaguar XK-R in hardtop or convertible with its 552 HP supercharged V-8...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 638 HP option is sure going to deflate a lot wannabee's here.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what year model are we talking? I want to make sure I can tell the "wannabees" from the dreamers*...

NO amount of $$$ can buy you a convertible or anything with more than 450HP.

Rich

*I know, I know. The wannabees already own a car with more than 450 HP, or a convertible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

/QUOTE]
Rich,
Not sure I understand your comments. There are more than a few cars that come with 450 hp from the factory.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
what year model are we talking? I want to make sure I can tell the "wannabees" from the dreamers*...

Rich

*I know, I know. The wannabees already own a car with more than 450 HP, or a convertible.

I'm not exactly sure if you were being specific to 'Vettes or generalizing but there are currently 70 models of cars producing 500 hp or more for sale in America today from 18 manufactrurers. Tens years ago there were only two. But out of 70 I would imagine there is a convertable or two. The 2014 Shelby GT500 convertable ia advertised "in excess of 450 HP" but I couldn't find just how much in excess.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant the new Corvettes. The 2013 Shelby GT 500 has 662 HP from its Supercharged 5.8 Litre V8.
4-cam engine.

GM showed us how "world class" the new 'vette is by retaining an OHV pushrod engine. Leading the world in that engine configuration.