THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    H&R Ultra Hunter "rechamber" 7.62X54R
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Ultra Hunter "rechamber" 7.62X54R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may be able to improve the ejector by adding a spacer in front of a new ejector spring, a .177" BB will work, I like to use a short section of machine screw with the head as a spacer and the shank inside the spring as a guide to help keep the spring straight. Other than that, polish the chamber well with a patched bore mop spun on a section of cleaning rod in a drill, use metal polish or JB compound. Sticking brass is the reason why H&R quit making ejectors on all of their centerfire rifle barrels, only made extractors after 2007.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
You may be able to improve the ejector by adding a spacer in front of a new ejector spring, a .177" BB will work, I like to use a short section of machine screw with the head as a spacer and the shank inside the spring as a guide to help keep the spring straight. Other than that, polish the chamber well with a patched bore mop spun on a section of cleaning rod in a drill, use metal polish or JB compound. Sticking brass is the reason why H&R quit making ejectors on all of their centerfire rifle barrels, only made extractors after 2007.

No shit?!? Damned Ejector!

Do I need to worry about too much polishing? Smith that did it said to use Scotch Brite pad as the buffer???

Anyone know a gunsmith who does all this?

i just want to hunt with my lil cheap pack n saddle rifle again...i never should have started this.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a private message.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I have already ground that salt so deep that a little extra doesn't hurt! LOL

If I can get the one 'smith to refund the money on his failures then a little more and maybe it gets fixed? HELL IDK!

I need a new barrel!

The gunsmith refunded all the money for shipping twice and the work, which means he paid for shipping it back twice and what work he did successfully out of pocket. I need to commend him for that....

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a cnote for a new 308 barrel

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

That cnote turned into close to $200 after fitting, shipping both ways and tax are added on, even if they were still fitting barrels, unfortunately H&R no longer makes any firearms and the accessory barrel program ended in February, there is no 2015 catalog cuz the only thing left in it would be the imported shotguns which they apparently still offer. RIP H&R.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

That cnote turned into close to $200 after fitting, shipping both ways and tax are added on, even if they were still fitting barrels, unfortunately H&R no longer makes any firearms and the accessory barrel program ended in February, there is no 2015 catalog cuz the only thing left in it would be the imported shotguns which they apparently still offer. RIP H&R.

Correct it is all over for H&R

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What would be the down side of a rechamber to 300 H&H and using 220 grain bullets at a modest velocity on hogs ect?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was told too much flex/stretch in the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Full pressure loads would be a bit much for the frame and cause accuracy issues, but handloaded to a lower pressure would work fine. I have a 376 Steyr Handi(rebored and rechambered 7mm-08 by JES) that works fine, case head is a bit smaller and max pressure factory Hornady ammo runs 59kpsi which I've not shot, but full pressure handloads work. I tried a 300WSM (rechambered 308W), couldn't get over 150gr 30-06 velocities before action flex opened groups up too much. I know of a 375H&H Handi, the owner keeps pressure below 40kpsi IIRC and it work fine as well.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be quite the full circle to rechamber to 300 HH only to get 308 performance but at a lower pressure lol.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Speaking from Experience, negative experience, You might want to take a close look at the paint on your hood with all that burning powder granules dumping down at hyper-speed into it.
Had a newly painted Red Ford 4x4 once and when I sold it some years later was still getting questions on "what are those pits in the paint from?"

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote