New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Milsurp 98 for 416 Howel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am plannig on building an African Big Game rifle using a milsurp 98 action. The cartridge that I would like to use (to my knowledge not yet developed) is very similar to the 416 howell, but made with RUM brass, ultra mag taper, and a 35 degree shoulder (I hope that unstamped ultra mag basic is made some day, so that I could actually hunt africa with it). Can any of you really knowledgeable mauser gooroo's out their give me some advice as to which milsurp action would be best for this application. I recently picked up a clean 1909 DWM barreled action, and it is nice, but then I read in a net forum that 1909's are case hardened and might not be all that great for heavy calibers. This same thread went on to say that actions made later had better alloys that were fully heat treated all the way through the metal, and thus better for heavier calibers. Which would be most appropriate for my application? It's hard, if not imposible to beat a 1909 for factory finish in terms of milsurp, and I want something that is as close in quality if possible that would clean up nice and be buttery smooth.
What got me started into all of this is wanting a 416 Rigby just like Harry Selby's Rigby number 5. I could not find a gunsmith who is dumb enough, smart enough, or willing to build me a 416 on a milsurp 98 (If you know of a gunsmith who is smart enough and willing, please let me know.) Since no one would do a 416 Rigby, I decided to look at a Wildcat that is fully equal in performace and able to fin in a milsurp 98. Please don't try to talk me into a 416 Taylor. The Taylors performance is good, but not quite what I want. I want to build a rifle and looks, feels, and performs as much like Harry Selby's Rigby as possible. Any advice and info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for being so wordy.

Matthew

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Virtually all K98 type actions were surface hardened which makes them arguably safer as they are less prone to catastrophic failure. They were designed to "stretch" under excess preasure instead of fragmenting. This just one of many elements of the 98 design that is there to protect the shooter--there are many more.

Now, the merits of this design have been argued over and over on this board and others, and probably will continue to be as they have been for over a hundred years. Some extremely successful custom rifle makers swear that as long as you don't over-lap the locking lugs you don't need to worry about re-heat treating a Mauser. There are other very accomplished smiths that swear they'd never let a Mauser leave their shop unless it is heat treated. Do a search here; read closely and make up your own mind.

I've not built a rifle using a 1909 but I've heard they're nice. I like VZ-24s as they're not too expensive yet and are of excellent quality.

Good luck on your project and welcome to AR.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We could go on and on about Mauser heat treating for days.

All I know is that PO Ackley always said that every Mauser ever made was proofed to 100000+ PSI and that the Germans knew what the hell they were doing from day one, so don't worry about there being brittleness or softness, they are all fine.

That philosophy hasn't failed me or anyone I know yet.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If you couldnt find a gunsmith to build you a 416 Rigby on 98 action you arent looking in the right places. Let me suggest that you seek out good custom rifle builders who are masters at their craft instead of the local gunsmith shop. There is a big difference betwen the two. I am willing to bet that the reason why none of them will touch your projec is because they lack the required skills to accomplish the alterations in order to make it feed properly and such. There are several who hang out on ths forum, hopefully they will speak up and lend a hand in a solution for you.

Your wildcat does soound interesting though.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact this fellow and read the thread about AB barrels by lubbockdave.
Look seriously at Jeffe's AR options. I am have the 416AR built for me.
http://www.skaggsgunsmithing.com

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well now let me put my 2 cents in be it right or wrong. converting a mauser to magnum and doing it right and making it feed correctly is tedious enough, but trying to make one into a rigby length caliber for me would be truly a religious experience. read your gunsmithing books like "bolt action rifles" by Frank De Haas or the mauser bolt action by Jerry Kunhnhausen. on page 86 Jerry states he does not recommend modifying a '98 action to handle 3.655 length calibers like .300 H&H because of the amount of material you have to remove from the lower lug area (ramp) to make it feed. this weakens the lower lug area. and you are talking about opening the action to handle 3.725 length cartridges if i understand your project correctly? so you are taking more material away. on top of the fact the the .416 cartridge is about the size of a ball park frank and you are wanting to cram that thing in a mag box designed for 8mm cartridges that will require some work to the mag box widening and lengthening and the under side of the action will have to be opened up as well as the feed rails and the bolt face will need to be opened up to accomodate the .590 bolt face on the .416. i believe this is why they came up with the Brevex Mauser actions!!!!! to handle large calibers like this. can it be done? sure someone will do it!!! probably the same guy who used to put a Chevy 454 in a Vega!!! will it be economical NO!!! if i were going to do this project and mind you this is one i would walk away from if someone asked me to build!!!. i would start with a Charles Daly (new) .300 H&H length action. hell my cost on the action is $260 and even then it will require more work but at least then you have something to work with. don't get me wrong i make a living on working on mauser and other military actions, but they are what they are. and all my personal rifles are either Mauser or 03-A3 or Arisaka 38s but i stay within reason when building one and remain within the 3.340 cartridge length for my sanity and safety. like i said this is "my opinion" be it right or wrong i wrote it just to give you a few things to think about.

Posts: 36 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote