New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota and Nesika closing doors?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Word from a reliable source at the NRA show says they are closing. I am leaving for the Super Shoot in the morning and will have more word by Monday.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
SH*T! I hope not. I'm only halfway done with my Dakota battery. I just talked to Richard at Dakota this past friday. We are planning my next 2 rifles. But hell, he might not know whats coming down. Kinda like all those chrysler and gm dealerships.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just drove by Dakota on Thursday last. everything looked like a going concern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope not. My dream gun will have a Nesika bench action on it. I'll build it someday, assuming Jigabooga will let me. Or let me have the ammo for it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I hope not. My dream gun will have a Nesika bench action on it. I'll build it someday, assuming Jigabooga will let me. Or let me have the ammo for it...

Why in the world would you use a Nesika for your dream gun when you could have a BAT???

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota's Death Knell Rang when the current owner took over.
However, I wasn't aware that Nesika was on the ropes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why in the world would you use a Nesika for your dream gun when you could have a BAT???

I like the classic looks. Why would you buy a ZO6 Corvette when a SmartCar will get you there and back at 70mph, too? And save you gas money? It's all about taste and what we want to buy in a market that offers so many choices. It's the exercising of my "freedom to choose," as the liberals would say...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My source said Richard Spruill said the last of the month they had to close their doors. Sorry, been away at the Super Shoot.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are not going to Chapter 7, this is most likely another "lawyer" bankruptcy to allow "CokeBoy" to screw other creditors. I do hope it is Ch 11, so someone else can buy the group of companies and run an honest ethical business. Maybe someone else will get the Miller single shot designs and we can actually order them. The one thing missing from a reorganization bankruptcy law is not allowing anyone connected with the bankruptcy to buy anything at the auction, or be associated with the new company (management).

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dakota "just" emerged from chapter 11, guys .. if they file again, it may very well be liquidation..
11 - reorganization
7 - liquidation
here's some basics on the process
http://www.uscourts.gov/bankru...ybasics/process.html

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:

I like the classic looks. Why would you buy a ZO6 Corvette when a SmartCar will get you there and back at 70mph, too? And save you gas money? It's all about taste and what we want to buy in a market that offers so many choices. It's the exercising of my "freedom to choose," as the liberals would say...

I've been away at the Super Shoot as well...I don't want to come off trashing Nesika's, as their older actions were OK. But the stuff they've been putting out for the last few years is lack luster. All I'm saying is that there are lots of better choices out there these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be fair, Dakota, Noreen, etc. sprang up when the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action went down the tubes in favor of a noncontrolled feed action. When U. S. Repeating Arms brought back a controlled round action, now commonly known as the Classic action, that was the start of the long spiral downwards for competitors.

I agree that the owners of Dakota more than likely had a lot to do with the problems they have had, but there isn't a whole lot you can do when a similar product that costs a whole lot less is your competitor. (take a look at GM and Chrysler)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would indeed be a shame, I received my new Dakota Predator last month, it took them 3 weeks to get it done, A real beauty and
laser-like accurate. I was hoping to get another pair, 20 Tact and 221 FB.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
To be fair, Dakota, Noreen, etc. sprang up when the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action went down the tubes in favor of a noncontrolled feed action. When U. S. Repeating Arms brought back a controlled round action, now commonly known as the Classic action, that was the start of the long spiral downwards for competitors.

I agree that the owners of Dakota more than likely had a lot to do with the problems they have had, but there isn't a whole lot you can do when a similar product that costs a whole lot less is your competitor. (take a look at GM and Chrysler)

I don't buy it. There is a market right now for high quality CRF's, just like always. A company just needs to set itself apart from its competitors with high quality product and excellent service. Is it easy? Of course not. But Winchester is sure not to blame for Dakota's poor business practices. GM and Crysler have only themselves and the labor unions to blame for where they are now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO Dakota's business practices aren't just poor, in the past they have almost always been disgracefully immoral when not downright dishonest.

Just ask some of the folks who THOUGHT they were going into business with Dakota, folks with names like Grisel and Miller....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how Dakota (and associated companies, such as Nesika) are doing at the moment. But it seems that the current economic crisis has had a profound effect on a lot of (semi-)custom gun makers. I hear of orders being way down with several shops. At least "eurocentric" seems to have done his part to keep the economy going.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I have no idea how Dakota (and associated companies, such as Nesika) are doing at the moment. But it seems that the current economic crisis has had a profound effect on a lot of (semi-)custom gun makers. I hear of orders being way down with several shops. At least "eurocentric" seems to have done his part to keep the economy going.

- mike

gun sales are up 50% , this doen't apply .. if dakota is going to file AGAIN it is a fault of business practices, not gun purchases

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by mho:

- mike

gun sales are up 50% , this doen't apply .. if dakota is going to file AGAIN it is a fault of business practices, not gun purchases

True sales are up but I'd venture sales of up market bolt guns are waaaaaay down. If Dakota was making AR15 clones they might be busier. Of course there is a guy on every corner making AR15 clones these days.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Old news coming back around. Thanks for this in the way of confirmation, Butch.

As Bob Dylan once sang, "It don't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Here's the [old] news:

ForrestB On Dakota's Woes

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In case more were needed.

When The Feelin' Is Gone, But You Wanna Ride On: Kokesh

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
IMO Dakota's business practices aren't just poor, in the past they have almost always been disgracefully immoral when not downright dishonest.

Just ask some of the folks who THOUGHT they were going into business with Dakota, folks with names like Grisel and Miller....
Regards, Joe

From the messages I am getting, this seems to be true.

Very sad indeed, as some of the people who got burnt by Charley are very honest and certainly do not deserve what they got from him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I talked to my contact today 5/26/09. He stated that they may have a serious buyer. Nevertheless, he states that it is business as usual.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just visited with another source and he was told a sale was either go or no go by Friday.
Butch