New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you resolve THIS problem?
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
Hot Core, you can pretend to hate me all you want to, but the guy you really hate is yourself. How'd you get so screwed up in the first place?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
No disrespect implied here. You learned a lesson over this, just send the stock to Chic or whoever else and have the necessary repairs made.
It's possible that he doesn't know the damage that he inflicted on your rifle. I have a friend that treats a firearm as he would a tire jack(makes me cringe) and your friend may well fit into that catagory?
Just suck it up and don't make the same mistake twice.

PS Enjoy your Christmas dinner

PSS Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you respect, to all.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Allen,
No disrespect implied here. You learned a lesson over this, just send the stock to Chic or whoever else and have the necessary repairs made.
It's possible that he doesn't know the damage that he inflicted on your rifle. I have a friend that treats a firearm as he would a tire jack(makes me cringe) and your friend may well fit into that catagory?
Just suck it up and don't make the same mistake twice.

PS Enjoy your Christmas dinner

PSS Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you respect, to all.
Stepchild

Now SC, you know I consider the first trip over a barbwire fence (while being towed by Jr's quad) to be more important to break-in than a bunch of barrel cleaning is Big Grin
There are 3 main owner types, the "it's a tool", the "it's a toy" and the "it compensates for my small weiner", the first group dosn't care about appearance, the second likes them to look nice buy dosn't mind a small nick or 2, and the third group just likes to brag.

Merry Christmas to you and yours

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
Just for the record, you weren't the friend I was referring to.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
...the third group just likes to brag.

Merry Christmas to you and yours
Huuummmm, kind of reminds me of a particular inconsiderate, ill-mannered, very-stupid, sniveling and whinning, self-aggrandizing, loud-mouth, blow-hard, braggart that started this thread.

And still:
1. No Flicks of the horrendous damage.
2. No Thanks to all the mis-lead, rear-end smoochers.

Seems to support my view REAL well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a gonna wade into the middle of this little love-fest with about .02 worth(1974 $ adjusted for inflation)...

I don't know anybody that cares for their guns as well as I do. Well, not quite true, my dad did. I know you guys do, but I've met only a couple face to face... It never ceases to amaze how casual some are, to the point of silliness. I've seen Perazzis stuffed muzzle first in the mud during clay shoots then kicked to clear the obstruction, and other vile acts on likewise fine guns new or nearly so. I wish I had the money to NOT clean a Krieghoff O/U for over 10,000 rounds "just for curiosity". Consignment racks in the local gun stores are full of such sin.

Guns used in the field WILL pick up the odd ding however...it becomes part of its legend, a reminder of hunts in the past, or little lessons of what NOT to do next time. With but a small bit of attention a 50 year old rifle or shotgun that has seen much use can easily look nearly brand new, I have several that prove that.

So, what to do with neophyte friends or the unit that wants to learn the craft? Help them pick out a gun, or give them a gun...done both. Because I do not wish to have a friendship soured I will not loan my guns to others. I do not let them "try it out". I will on occasion take one to the range and directly supervise the use of such guns...newbies may or may not see the difference between laying a mint condition piece on the carpet as opposed to a concrete slab...or may not give it any thought as the gun in their hands is over 100 years OLD...sometimes experienced shooters are of the same mentality. Best they do such evil with their own hardware. Be especially cautious of people that think an AK or SKS is actually a neat gun. rotflmo

Well, I value friends(have a few), and guns(maybe too many...NOT!). It's best to keep them separated. Friends and business is a nasty combination...

Allen, the easy out is to repair the gun and consider it a cheap lesson. Unless you have too many friends. Sorry to say you'll never quite look at that fella as you did in the past...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SC
I didn't think I was, but you know that I don't baby my tools/firearms either.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of the club here since 1960 and another member has been around almost that long. He is quite a sharp guy and is known as a good stockmaker hobby wise. He ran a business as well and seems well off. We are both of retirement age now.

I mentioned long ago to him that I liked my Sauer drilling and he said that he had a light Sauer SXS suitable for upland. I asked him to sell it to me if he ever moved it on. A couple of years ago he said that he would sell it to me so I gave him the cash and just glanced at the gun being his reputation for fine work. When we parted he said that if I did not like the gun the deal could be undone.

At home I noticed that the lockup was a little loose and the safety did not stay on when the trigger was pulled. To be frank I did not want the gun at this point.

I called him up and we met at the club and he gave back all the cash. Later I found out that he had been suffering from a serious illness and had not been well. For the story I wish I could recall the illness. On top of that he had cancer and one lung had been removed. Also he had cataracts and could not see well now.

I hold him in higher estimation than ever and wished him a Merry Christmas. His character has withstood everything and I know the facts now.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:

Allen, the easy out is to repair the gun and consider it a cheap lesson. Unless you have too many friends. Sorry to say you'll never quite look at that fella as you did in the past...

Trust is not single dimensional.
You can still trust your friend with other things, just not your guns.

I have friends who will not let me do ANYTHING to thier guns, as they think my workmanship is not fit for Fred Flintstone.
My friends will hunt with me. They just won't let me touch thier guns with tools.

I have lots of guns, and getting more.
My friends seem to be dying off.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote