THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Corrosion Protection In Humid And Salty Environment - Photos Added
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corrosion Protection In Humid And Salty Environment - Photos Added
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
A friend lives in Dar Essalam, Tanzania, and has a safe with a few rifles in it.

Despite oiling all of them before storage, he found that they still rusted.

Many years ago we did a test on corrosion protection, and CORROSIONX came top.

OUTERS RUST PREVENT was very good too.

We thought of running another test, this time using every oil or coating we can find here.

I got a steel rod, 1 inch in diameter, and cut into 6 inch pieces.

Insane blosted all of them.

I have made a board, with pipe clips to hold these rods.

Today I got aboutv25 different lubes and coated each rod with one of them.

I have left the board with coated rods outside.

24 hours later, my intention is to spray them with a mixture of sea water and tap water - 50/50.

I will photograph them in 24 hour periods, for a week.

I have more lubes, so after a week, I will sand blast them again and test more lubes.

Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A friend lives in Dar Essalam, Tanzania, and has a safe with a few rifles in it.

Despite oiling all of them before storage, he found that they still rusted.

Many years ago we did a test on corrosion protection, and CORROSIONX came top.

OUTERS RUST PREVENT was very good too.

We thought of running another test, this time using every oil or coating we can find here.

I got a steel rod, 1 inch in diameter, and cut into 6 inch pieces.

Insane blosted all of them.

I have made a board, with pipe clips to hold these rods.

Today I got aboutv25 different lubes and coated each rod with one of them.

I have left the board with coated rods outside.

24 hours later, my intention is to spray them with a mixture of sea water and tap water - 50/50.

I will photograph them in 24 hour periods, for a week.

I have more lubes, so after a week, I will sand blast them again and test more lubes.

Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

How about Johnsons paste wax? Or similar, & thanks for taking the time!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wax was the best corrosion protection I found before.

Will try some too.

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
someone has done this a while back. They did corrosion and lubrication tests. If I remember eezox and one shot were on top and frog lub was on top for lubrication.

standby I'll try to find it.

found it

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if possible, try to get industrial/military grade Corrosion Inhibitors, such as:

Cortec 369 (oil based, also available as spray)
Cortec 368 (wax based, also available as spray)
Cortec 325 (vegetable oil based, biodegradable)

Last one, my friend used for protecting swords for outside use with great result. I believe that "non bio" are even better.

I have and use 368 and 369 in cans. Also use 239 (military grade for electronics).

Can be bought online, for example here: https://www.theruststore.com/C...t-VpCI-369-P158.aspx (American market).

There are also different manufacturers, Zerust for example.

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 1970's I was hunting the Kenai peninsula after the area had been dusted with volcanic ash. It was damp and misty. Almost immediately light rust began to form on my rifle (almost like the rust that forms when you rust blue a firearm).
Cleaned rifle and gear with no apparent damage later that day.
I was planning another trip and mentioned to a friend who had been brought up in Florida. He said that some of the residents coat their airboat frames with LPS3.
I used it and it does work. However, it leaves a waxy coating that is slightly sticky particularly if sprayed directly.
After some experimenting over the years, I would disassemble, apply a light coating to the entire surface (never to trigger, bore or moving parts) then reassemble, verify my sight-in and go hunting (sometimes for weeks).
In wet conditions I would occasionally patch the bore and wipe off moisture. I never had any rust form on the surfaces covered by the stock.
Also used a product called GuardZit once which seemed to the same as the LPS3

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about Salt bath nitrid without any other rust preventative applied.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Inhibitor VCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had good luck with most of them, the real secret is maintenance, check them often..I like WD-40 and Ive heard all manor of bad things about it and if you only check your guns once a year or whatever in bad climmes your going to be dealing with rust..If I store a gun for any amount of time I use gun wax or Johnsons wax, It I hunt in the snow and I do, I juse johnsons wax..the old stuff not the new gooey soft stuff.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late author and African PH Finn Aagard wrote that he used paste wax on all of his guns and it did a splendid job of rust prevention.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ATF and WD40 -- let's put these to rest, once and for all ...

and brake fluid .. dot 3 or dot 4

BTW, i do suggest "warming" the metal .. say 150-200f,before applying

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boeshield T-9?

I spray and wipe it on under the stock on my rifles and it seems to work great, but I'm about 1500 miles from the ocean!

Posts: 548 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For semi-long term (more than 3 months) I have found that a wipedown coating using basic petroleum jelly works. It will require cleaning and wipedown before next use but is an excellent sealer against moisture.
For short term storage, I use "way oil", the same kind I use to lubricate the ways on my milling machine an lathe. It is designed to coat and hold onto the metal. My machines are in an unheated garage and they have never developed rust on any area that has been coated with this.

I have also been told that lanolin (like that used to treat leather) can be used if nothing else is available.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Inhibitor VCI

Yes, that is exactly what I wrote above (Cortec, Zerust).

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, the plot thickens!

I went to have a look after two hours of spraying them with 50/50 sea water/tab water.

Some actually are showing signs of corrosion!!?? Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could you please try some Renaissance Wax? It is a synthetic wax which is supposed to offer better protection than natural waxes like beeswax.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Johnson's floor wax for about 60 years with good results.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the plot thickens!

I went to have a look after two hours of spraying them with 50/50 sea water/tab water.

Some actually are showing signs of corrosion!!?? Confused

Rusting after only two hours? Treated or untreated example?

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Why I am talking about industrial corrosion inhibitors?

My friend has Ph.D. in "surface coatings". After I tried samples from him, I use it.

Very best "gun products", such as great Hornady One shot Tap HD Extreme will yield 400+ hours in salt chamber.

Oil based Cortec 369 yield 3500+ hours for carbon steel in the similar test.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balistol
Eezox

Looking forward for your results.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eezzox, It is a little bit of work to put it on but the results make it worth it, I found it to be an excellent rust protector.
BB

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
About 6 or 8 years ago I did a similar test on a smaller scale. I treated steel scraps form Tally bolt handles and left them out in the rain. I meant to post a report here on AR but never got around to it. I used the following 5 products in the test:

Chevron Dextron ATF: horrible, looked worse than the untreated(control) sample.

Birtchwood Casey, Barricade: good

Olive Oil: good

Shooters Choice Rust preventative: Very good

Eesox: By far the best

The real surprise of the test was olive oil. It did a decent job and it has little of no unnatural odor. I wanted to try it in the test become someone here on AR recommended it as a good option for rust protection when you wanted to limit unnatural odors(I believe it was Alberta Cannuck). He was right.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Thompson/Center Wonderlube - used for muzzle loading patch lube. It is a a waxy substance and I use it as a rust preventative for my muzzle loader and any gun I'm taking in the field. Put it on thick wipe off the excess - never had any rust.

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is the result of part of our test after 24 hours.

I have other oils coming, these are the ones I have found in our workshop.

Some of the protectors seem to put a brownish coating on the steel - not necessarily rust, as it looks.

We should know after a few days.

My intention to keep track of these on a daily basis for one week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see if you can get your hands on some Evapo-rust. It is supposed to be a rust remover, and works very well at this. It leaves a dark gray color and patina on the metal. It would be interesting to see if it then prevented rust. After removing the rust, the finish looks like Parkerizing sometimes.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My reason for this test is to see how different oils and rust prevention oils we have perform in preventing corrosion.

I have asked a friend in the US to send me what he thinks might work too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love your tests. You might try "Trewax" a carnauba floor wax. It was highly recommended by Finn Agaard from his experiences in Alaska. I have used it on my fine guns, wood and metal for 30 years. Available in US from Ace Hardware stores and Amazon. Thanks for you work and website.
Dave

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Saeed.
Balistol seems to be living up to its reputation.

BTW, that Outers can looks like it was made in 1975.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shocking, Saeed. Amazing how the specific gun oils seem to all be hopeless. Glad to see that my old faithful Ballistol seems to be doing well

Posts: 11 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 19 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on the Ballital report, I just purchased a 16 Oz container for $21.99 and free shipping.

Since Saeed's picture shows a German product, I hope that what I receive will be the same chemically.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Evapo-rust extensively and can tell you first hand that the cleaned parts will begin to rust as soon as they are dry and the good old O2 hits it.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It seems there has been slight increase in some of the corrosion on some of the rods, but not much to warrant displaying them.

I will leave them for a week and see what happens.

I have also got more oils, and spray waxes, and setting up another board.

Will update you on our results.

The Ballistol is at least 30 years old!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballistol "Klever" sure looks like the champ.

Very clever test, and a lot of work!

Break Free CLP by SAFARILAND please?

tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I've always heard that Rem oil is one of the worst and your test so far more than proves it.

It would be interesting to see Break Free CLP if possible. When I shot handguns competitively it was very popular.

Thanks for doing the test.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2803 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember very much from the chemistry classes I took when I was in school eons ago, but it seems to me that since rusting is a chemical reaction the issue isn't to cover the metal as much as it is to prevent the reaction from happening.

Perhaps many of the things being tested are evaporating or losing the proper preventive chemical structure at such a rate that they no longer offer coverage protection or prevent the chemical reaction.

Perhaps there are some chemists here who could comment on the actual chemistry of rusting or oxidation of steel.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, I have no knowledge of chemistry in this regard.

But, our aim is to see what we can use that will stop - or at least prolong - the possibility of our guns to stay away from rust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When iron, oxygen and water (air moisture) combine, the iron loses electrons to oxygen atoms, = oxidation. When oxidation occurs, a chemical reaction takes place creating iron oxide, AKA ferric oxide (FE203), commonly known as rust.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, well #1 is to store the guns in an enclosure that keeps humidity low. #2 is to coat the metal with a substance that will prevent salt air from contacting the metal. The time proven method is to store in an air tight enclosure with a heated element to drive out moisture. With the metal you have a couple of options. Coat with a heavy grease, an oil, a wax, or a coating. The coating can be a drying oil or varnish rubbed in and then excess wiped off. After a couple of weeks drying a wax coating can be applied to add extra protection.

quote:
Well, I have no knowledge of chemistry in this regard.

But, our aim is to see what we can use that will stop - or at least prolong - the possibility of our guns to stay away from rust.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is not as easy as we think, as different areas have different environments, and different people store their guns in different ways.

A friend had his in a gun safe, and six moths later the rifles were rusted!!

Despite the fact he had oiled them!!

Our test board was left outside, on purpose.

And last night we had a downpour of rain.

I have got some spray wax and other oils to use.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making this effort, Saeed. You sure shined some light on some doubtful products. What do the humidities run at your house?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote