Tools

Has anyone heard from Jack Belk?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
...The Nuclear Bomb in dealing with a Gunsmith is the BATF...

Garrett

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
Brian M

To my knowledge Jack B.does not have a FFL.

James

If's that's the case, a few late rifles will be the least of his problems.

Look here
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#i1

Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. [27 CFR 178.11]

All in all, too bad, I enjoyed his posts and opinion.

[ 10-19-2003, 00:38: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$7000.00 in two guns and you haven't knocked on this guy's door yet? [Confused] Let's see - $310.00/round trip airfare, $175.00 car rental for 2 days, and $20.00 parking at the original airport........a little over $500.00 to recover $7000.00?

Have you left yet, or doesn't the Misses know about the situation yet?

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps somebody can answer this question... "How does a gunsmith function without an FFL?"
In the U.S., you can't receive guns through the mail or commercial shipping (UPS/FedEx) without one, so you can't function as a gunsmith if your FFL gets yanked.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
........a little over $500.00 to recover $7000.00?

I think the ATF has an 800 number. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
Let's see - $310.00/round trip airfare, $175.00 car rental for 2 days, and $20.00 parking at the original airport........a little over $500.00 to recover $7000.00?

Getting your guns back - priceless. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack has answered some questions of mine on a few occasions and taken the time to send me some info.

Other than that I don't have any business dealings with him, but seeing as that hasn't stopped most of you from jumping in, here goes.

Has anyone called Jacks local police or a nearby hospital to see if the man is still ambulatory?

A lot of folks are going to regret their postings if the man has had an accident.

JMTCW
Rob

[ 10-19-2003, 03:24: Message edited by: Recoil Rob ]

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have called the local police department in Buhl, Idaho. They were going to call me back and let me know. That was three days ago. Must be something in the water??

Posts: 917 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMcDermott:
quote:
Perhaps somebody can answer this question... "How does a gunsmith function without an FFL?"
In the U.S., you can't receive guns through the mail or commercial shipping (UPS/FedEx) without one, so you can't function as a gunsmith if your FFL gets yanked.
Yes, so how has he functioned? [Confused] He's been doing gunsmithing work for some time, right?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Jack has answered some questions of mine on a few occasions and taken the time to send me some info.

Other than that I don't have any business dealings with him, but seeing as that hasn't stopped most of you from jumping in, here goes.

Has anyone called Jacks local police or a nearby hospital to see if the man is still ambulatory?

A lot of folks are going to regret their postings if the man has had an accident.

JMTCW
Rob

Marshall, AKA Swamp, at HuntAmerica posted:
http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=440347&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

10/13/03 10:40 PM

"Well, I finally spoke to Jack over the phone .. He says that he's had some health issues lately, and has been out of town trying to get some work done and he is still working... He is still in the same town and location. Says that he will be back on line as soon as he can get his computer fixed...

So the man is still alive and kickin.. "

<tasunkawitko>
posted
duck, you may or may not know, but swamp had some sort of breakdown right after he made that post. it may or may not be the truth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go quoting anything that came forth from Swamp as Gospel. He started a Jack Belk bashing thread just to drum up hits to his site. Then he started a Pro-Jack Belk thread to cover his ass and to again generate hits to his site. Then he started banning posters who disagreed with him. So be careful quoting him. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, I am not about to vouch for Swamp or any conversations he may or may not have had. I am merely quoting one site on another. Recoil Rob wondered if anyone had called to inquire about his health. Swamp said he did. Take it for what it's worth.

The whole thing is damned strange if you ask me.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
...swamp had some sort of breakdown....

mental or technical?????

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like a bunch of old crones.

Gossip, gossip, gossip in the most vicious manner.

You are an embarrassment to mature men.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Jack last Friday. Sounded about the same as he always does.

I did not ask him about anything except my work and that is being taken care of.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
That post on HA looks like a PARTIAL re-posting of a thread he deleted, minus all the bannings. I highly doubt that moron spoke with him at all. And if he did I doubt he would post the truth as he has a serious aversion to such things.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mt.Hunter,
I don't know what you mean by that remark but it was purely ignorant and stupid so kiss ole spot...

I don't run Jack Belks life, he is a grown man and would probably tell me to kiss off which is what I'm telling you!!

I'm no ones bill collector...and why would I put myself in the middle of this..You come up here and tell him yourself....

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jack has Been a stand up guy with me anyway.

I donated 20 to the one eyed jack fund and when I was out of work he deposited 50 into my pay pal account which I sent back to him, I thanked him anyway but I was making due and did not need his money.

If I was Ray I would not want to get in the middle of this mess either.

Jack if you are able to read this then what allen said is a easy way to address the people who are asking about there money or guns.

Most people will understand if you ran into some troubles but you have to tell people and be honest with everyone.

Ignoring people will only make matters worst.

If you have more work then you can handle right now then tell everyone or whatever the problem might be.

Posts: 23 | Location: Near Clemson, SC | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
Sometimes I don't believe the crap I read here. Ya'all get bored with trashing Boddington so Belk is the new whipping boy?

These pages are turning into a real cesspool.

Later, much later
ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Mt.Hunter,
I'm no ones bill collector...and why would I put myself in the middle of this..You come up here and tell him yourself....

Well said Ray.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitroman:

You are an embarrassment to mature men.

good point, nuff said here [Frown]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making disparaging remarks to Ray Atkinson regarding Jack's actions is totally out of line. He has no obligation to get involved in this matter. He intervened on one occasion as a favor to one person and I know that his efforts were appreciate, but he can not be expected to make a lifetime work of this and we have to respect that.

Nitroman, if you call this gossip, you are missing a great deal of the basis of these posts. Granted some of the comments may be based on suppositon but not the fact that a large number of people have sent their firearms and can not even get an answer by phone, emial or letter. I know personally of several of them and they are clients of mine. You make a poor point, with no merit. Mature men have sent their rifles and money expecting work to be done and at the least, communication to be made to explain the lack of delivery and NONE of that has been done to their satisfaction. If you think that pisses off your idea of a MATURE MAN, then you have a far different idea of maturity than me.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC Nimrod,
Due to my extremely poor health at the moment,that ride would damn near do me in,either as driver or passenger.And I don't fly,not even for Jack Belk.

If things progress to where I truely believe I have no other options,I might just have to gas up the van.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Chic!

Still in a vacuum here!?!? [Confused]

-Bob

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Chic, straight to the point and couldnt agree more.

As I said about 50 posts back, buisness is buisness, whether your the Pope, President, or Jack Belk.

If Howard talked to him on the phone 2 days ago, why cant any one else?

Maybe some one can send him a 10$ AT&T calling card so he can make some phone calls.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see some mention of "One-Eyed Jacks" here, and wonder if someone could explain what one is. I seen a Marlon Brando movie by that title once but with all the guns going off, and ol' Marlom mumblin' like he had a mouth full of moose-turds, I never did figure out what or who was a one eye Jack, or even what in hell the plot was or if it had one.
walex

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walex:
I see some mention of "One-Eyed Jacks" here, and wonder if someone could explain what one is. I seen a Marlon Brando movie by that title once but with all the guns going off, and ol' Marlom mumblin' like he had a mouth full of moose-turds, I never did figure out what or who was a one eye Jack, or even what in hell the plot was or if it had one.
walex

This was a rifle JBelk built and auctioned off. It was a 1909ARGI Mauser. He posted pics and explained the each step of the building process.

Here's a link, be sure and look at the finished pics it's a beautiful rifle built by a very talented gunsmith.

ONE-EYED JACK LINK

I wish all the best for Jack and his clients.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, I'm saying a few prayers for your health and the safe return of your guns. I wish everybody the best in the dealings with this gentleman.

However, Hobie's point (well made) bothers me greatly - hopefully we are wrong.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most of you I have read and enjoyed the writing style, humor, common sense, knowledge, helpful hints, and good advice in Jack's posts over the last couple of years. Obviously he has suffered some sort of personal problem be they medical, financial, personal, legal or a combination of the above. I have never met him but did speak to him once about a 'project' but never got around to getting it started like a lot of my projects.

His failure to respond to numerous inquiries(as read above) from customers is inexcusable unless he is incapacitated; even then an 'agent' should update customers with information regarding their property in his control. Anyone can bite off more than they can chew but silence will not help. I think a 'friend' in the area ought to go check on him to find out what is going on and help him out.

Maybe he has gone to the dark side, joined Sarah Brady and melted the Mausers and Krieghoff into peace medals and whacky tabaccy pipes!!

Seriously, I hope all of this turns out ok and all owners get their firearms back in proper condition and Jack gets his problems squared away. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys, I think we ought to be thankin' Brian for bringing this situation to light. I personally know Brian, and he's a standup, straight shootin' guy.

I don't know Belk personally, although I had a brief conversation on the phone with him some months back regarding some work I had planned on sending to him. I had been busy and was just about ready to ship it off to him when this whole deal went down. It's still here, and I'll tell ya what, I'm sure glad it ain't somewhere in Idaho.

I do know this, Belk's got Brian's guns and Brian's money. According to Belk the work is done and Brian paid him for his work. Why hasn't Belk shipped Brian's guns? I'm gettin' sorta tired of hearin' of what great guy Jack is, and he might have health problems and personal problems and his computer doesn't work and he lives in the boonies and his dog died and, and , and more ands.

Bottom line is, if Jack wants to salvage what's left of his reputation and credibility, he needs to explain his situation one way or another. And he needs to do that at his earliest convenience.

I've seen situations like this in the past. They usually get worse before they get better.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't know Jack other than his posts here but like others I have enjoyed his contributions, his wit and his obvious knowledge. For his sake as much as for his clients I hope he gets this sorted out and his buisness back on an even keel again....

Brian,

I also understand the situation you have found yourself in too....Just a couple of thoughts though..

The emails you have sent, did they have a "receipt" facility enabled? At least this would give you an idea of whether Jack has actually read them or not.

Have you taken legal advise with regards going to BAFT? *If* Jack does in deed not have an FFL, what is your position legally bearing in mind you shipped the guns to him? What will happen to the guns (and everybody elses!) in these circumstances? Will they be confiscated by the BAFT? Will they be impounded as "evidence" for a future (2years plus??)court case?? I would certainly look at this before going to BAFT as I doubt they will do a gun owner any favours...

In my mind a complaint to ACGG would be a better "next step" for both of you. If Jack has genuine problems this might be a more approriate wake up call and it might avoid any possible problems for yourself from BAFT too...

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-20-2003, 11:43: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thanks for responding. I did not think you wanted to get involved and wholely understand your wanting to stay away.

Everyone else ...

As I said earlier I too have work that is ... well who knows other than Jack has it.

but,

There is another route that can be taken other than BATF and ACGG. That is the US Postal Service. It is called "Mail Fraud". How many of us sent down payments for final payments by US Mail rather than paypal. The postal service has a fine reuptation for settling these cases. I do not know what will happen to my project ... ie will it be needed for evidence and than what.

The bottom line is that by not responding in any way Jack is not giving us many options. The one problem with flying out "blind" is there is no way of knowing if he will be home. Visits to family, vacations, hunting, or any number of reasons can take him away during the time we choose to "visit". It is not that any of us are unreasonable. We all understand that things do happen and projects can get behind for a number of reasons.

Just how long does a Bursitis attack affect your ability to work? [Confused]

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
54JNoll - I have the same reluctance to fly to Idaho (from Texas) without some degree of certainty that I will find him when I get there. I have sent a long e-mail to the ACGG, asking for their help in resolving this mess. I included a link to this thread, though I suspect they are aware of it by now. Good luck to all of us, though I don't know how many we are.

Glen

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I would send a polite certified letter, contact the local police, tell them your situation, while beeing polite on the phone, ask them if they get time to ride by his house and see if anyone is there and he is alright.
Find a neighbor using his address , phone them and ask nicely if they know him and he is alright.

Your computer, phone and mail services are powerful tools.

I do hope everything works out for every one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen,

I don't know about everyone else but limited vacation time or time off in general is another issue.

Hope you get adequate resolution.

At this point as long as I get the action back ... barreld or not I will be happy.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may as well join the crowd here. Jack has a receiver and bolt of mine, to weld a bolt handle and polish the receiver. Sent it last April with a check. Two email and one snail mail so far ignored. Does anyone have a current phone number for him?

Thanks. -Fred

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack's number is en route to you in a PM.

Good luck-I've called at least 20 times,busy signal every time over the last month.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to give anyone hope in their own quest to retrieve firearms sent to Mr. Belk. However, as I was talking to an individual in Buhl, Idaho this morning, UPS arrived at my front door. And, lo and behold, my Kreighoff Drilling was back home again. I checked it out, satisfied that all was in place as should be, and assured the individual on the other end of the telephone line that all seemed to be okay and thanked him for his time and trouble. I won't go into the details as to all the avenues I pursued to come to this end, but I will say that the firearm was completely checked out by Mr. Belk and returned in good shape. A letter attesting to work done on the firearm accompanied it also stating that bursitis in both shoulders had made life very hard for him lately. The letter was dated October 23rd, 2003. I would like to wish Mr. Belk the best and hope that his suffering with the bursitis ends and that he can complete the unfinished projects at hand. I wish there was more information I could give to anyone having questions about their personal firearm/s in Mr. Belk's care. All I have is what I have posted here. I wish all Good Luck and Good Shooting! Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
FourTails,

please check you PM's

BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Bart, check your PM please. Four Tails.