Find
Notify
Tools

which blank would you choose and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Thinking of starting another project. I have been considering going with maple for a stock this time. Which one of these blanks would you pick or not pick and why?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 871 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#10 because it's the darkest, and the closest to
walnut in color, and has no knots in the forearm like #12.

I'm assuming 250 is the price. Move up a notch and loose the knots!

Try here:

http://www.kustomwood.com/maple/gunstock_blanks.htm

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
#10 or #15, most uniform figure throughout and on both sides.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
#11, just because it looks the most like Bridgete's hair in my avatar.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
maple isn't my first choice, so take this for what it's worth

my FIRST choice of these would be 11, because it looks to have good grain pattern and is not sided, but the knots in the forarm will probably stick

10 looks to be two differenet colors.. but that might be the light

12 is junk for a one piece... you aren't going to get around that forend knot, or at least it's affect... which will be to warp when the weather changes

15 MIGHT work, pending examination of the bark inclusions.. so this is my second choice.

13, same thing, though today I like 15 a feather (heh) better

so, assuming they are all of equal merit, my choices are

12 is a two-piece stock waiting for a saw, imho

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38565 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am certain 11 wouldn't be one, I don't like the grain layout through the grip, and 12 isn't any better.

I think Fla3006 has this right. I think # 15 would be my choice. Best color on both sides, and I see a knot or something on the top pic on #10 look at the butt section on the bottom.

# 12 and 13 have issues, I see bark on 13 and a nasty knot in the lower pic on 12 on the forearm.

#15 is the beet blank in my opinion.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I like Bridgette in tiggertate's picture...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jefffe I concur on your statement on maple in general, not my favorite choice of wood.

How much are these blanks anyway?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
15 is my choice as well.

Jbabcock, I always wonder when I see your picture, is the other antler behind your back from the way you are holding that nice deer, or did it only have one side? I hope you stuck those on the wall.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
These blanks run $250 each. I emailed the guy to send more pics of his next grade of wood. I'll post those when I get them. #10 and #15 were the two I picked as well.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 871 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not choose any of them. Why? Because I do not feel the cold steel of a gun barrel pressed against my temple.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Is that reference to taste or the joy (not!) of working highly figured hard maple?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBabcock:
I like Bridgette in tiggertate's picture...

Can you tell me more about the Deer in your picture? Looks like it crossed with an Elk or Axis.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I would not choose any of them. Why? Because I do not feel the cold steel of a gun barrel pressed against my temple.

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
15...uniform figure throughout

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
maple is not my thing...try these people

http://www.cookwoods.com/

let me know what you think thumb

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
try african bubinga wood

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
give them a call they have always been nice and profesional...nosler bought a bunch of bubinga for some of his custom guns. pick the wood than thay will find it for you

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
try african bubinga wood
]

ah, NO...
bubinga smells like buring urine when you turn it

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 15 Smiler

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the wood named Moabi. I'll give them a call sometime on the characteristics of that particular wood.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
hijack

That is a blacktail doe...

I found the Elk shed while I was deer hunting. I had a doe tag, and on the last day of the season I shot her. I was fooling around and stuck the antler on top of her head, and there you have it! The rest of the story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the above. You want a straight grain through the action area, otherwise you will have bedding(accuracy) problems from now on. I'm no expert in stockmaking, just reflecting on one in my safe. It took an aluminum bedding block to cure the movement, it looked beautiful but each time I shot it, I had to fool with the bedding to get it to group. Take it for what it's worth, i'd pick a blank with outstanding figure in the butt stock and straight in the action area.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
try african bubinga wood
]

ah, NO...
bubinga smells like buring urine when you turn it

jeffe

I never knew urine could burn...

I like #15

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
10 or 15. They have the quilted pattern that makes amazing stock and other projects.

GO QUILTED !!!!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
ah, NO...
bubinga smells like burning urine when you turn it

jeffe

quote:
I never knew urine could burn...

I like #15

never pi$$ed on the fire and called the dogs, then, huh? I don't knwo what a dogturd tastes like.. but i can imagine!!

LOL
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i peed on a campfire of coals...you will not soon forget that smell...we got out of there quick...if you use a dual breathing filtration mask that should do it. not too many bubinga stocks out there...i want a desert ironwood stock on my dream rifle...no bedding-accuracy issues with ironwood thumb

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

this wood looks nice and it is from africa for those safari rifles...a rifle with a soul in africa thumb

it is called Amazique...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

snakewood...now thats a looker

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There's more to selecting a stock blank then choosing a piece of wood that looks pretty.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
paul...of course you are right but you first need to decide on the wood you like...to some XXXXenglish walnut is boring and to some it gives them a _____harelson...it is refreshing to see uncommon or exotic woods out there on rifles...it is like driving a new ferrari or a classic muscle car... new ferraris are nice but a muscle car no matter the make or shape it is in makes a statement of style and yes tradition is a style too but have you ever heard of a snakewood stock? even on a boring caliber it would be cool. wouldnt you like an exotic wood stock?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
If you could find a peice of snakewood that was wide enough for a gunstock it would be many hundreds (~$600+) dollars. Even then the grain structure would be questioneable for a stock. This wood is considered the most valuable there is.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'll pick a structural sound piece of wood with proper grain flow any day, and often the best blanks from a structural point are relatively plain looking. I like turkish walnut due to it's structural properties more than it's physical appearance, though I have seen some beautiful pieces.

$600 isn't high for a stock blank at all, almost entry level pricing. Nice pieces of walnut are in the $2-3k range.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
when people spend thousands on a gun this 600 would be nominal...not for everyone i admit...i'll take desert ironwood please Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold snakewood, and ironwood, but I have never seen a piece of either that was large enough to make a stock out of. My larges snakewood was a round trunk that was halved up the middle but it was only six inches at the widest and had a curve to the length ending at 4 inches.My ironwood was much smaller.

Everyone, be careful with these orther pieces. A lot of them are like lead in weight, contian a lot of oils and look amazing, but you are not going to like them in the long run.

I personally love manzanita, but wow would it suck as a rifle stock.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have seen riflestock blanks (2) they were around $1000

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am having a hell of a time just finding a dense and figured piece of black cherry!

one of us
posted Hide Post
OKH...That is one sweet prewar 70 H&H!!!! Grant

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burning urine? Bought a big piece of Pau Amarelo one time for a project. Nobody told me it smelled like "bundas"..... I gave it to my brother and he left it outside. I didn't tell him it smelled....hiho

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Careful with African and South American woods.

Many of them are really oily and greasy. sort of like an old army stock.
Makes for a pretty stock, but they are really soft and easily dented.

Maple on the other hand is quite the opposite. If someone brought me a maple blank or semi-inlet, I would probably refuse the job. It has got to be about the worst wood to work with by hand.

Here is a question though, what is the difference between maple and sugar maple?

-Spencer