New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag Case Seperation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday I had a 44 mag case separate in a Contender barrel. The case head and about 3/8 inch of the case extracted as normal but the remaining portion of the case stayed in the chamber. Over the years this has happened a couple of times and I have removed the case by inserting a 45 bore brush into the chamber, turning slightly and the brass came right out. I tried the same thing and this time it didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks and Regards
Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shove a new .45 cal brush in and pull straight back.

Or fill the chamber and case with Cerro safe or equivalent chamber casting alloy. Make sure you get the metal cast over the edge of the case mouth.
As soon as it hardens tap it out.

Once you get the low temp alloy out melt it so you can remove the case and reuse the alloy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pipe tap welded to a flexible packing puller I use for this. It stays in my range box and has bailed me and quite a few others out over the years!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I have a pipe tap welded to a flexible packing puller I use for this. It stays in my range box and has bailed me and quite a few others out over the years!

This.^^

Interisting

Of the many 10s of thousands of straight walled pistol cases I reloaded.

I have had hundreds crack length wise never one that cracked leaving part of the case in a chamber

Posts: 19388 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
6" of coat hanger, fold one end over 90 deg, and hook the case mouth .. use alum or copper of worried about scoring the chamber ,, 5 second fix

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38475 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You have excessive headspace......

Posts: 17118 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
" I have a pipe tap welded to a flexible packing puller I use for this. It stays in my range box and has bailed me and quite a few others out over the years! "

Nice thought, but I saw a Winchester Model 43 in 22 Hornet last month that had this really nice spiral groove in the rear of the chamber from the tap.

Customer ruined a great gun.

I have seen my share of ruined chambers also from Ice Picks, and knifes.

Either a new bore brush, or like Jeff said a 90 degree tool form something softer than the barrel.

My 2 cents
J Wisner

Posts: 1433 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
" I have a pipe tap welded to a flexible packing puller I use for this. It stays in my range box and has bailed me and quite a few others out over the years! "

Nice thought, but I saw a Winchester Model 43 in 22 Hornet last month that had this really nice spiral groove in the rear of the chamber from the tap.

Either a new bore brush, or like Jeff said a 90 degree tool form something softer than the barrel.

My 2 cents
J Wisner

The idiot should have measured the OD of the case and uised a tap smaller than that.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All types of idiots do own, and try to work on, guns. At least around here they do. Often with negative results. I have trained most of them, not to F with it; bring it to me intact; not all the parts loose in a box with some of them heated up and bent, or twisted. Etc.
Here's one; last month; "My bolt was a bit tight in my Mauser so I took two propane torches and heated it up and twisted it a little; it didn't work so I twisted and beat on it more". He heated the thing cherry red all over and twisted it in several places. It was assisted and witnessed by someone who knew better but helped anyway. I sold him a new receiver.
I should write a book on it. No time. I waste enough time here on AR.

Posts: 17118 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here's one; last month; "My bolt was a bit tight in my Mauser so I took two propane torches and heated it up and twisted it a little; it didn't work so I twisted and beat on it more". He heated the thing cherry red all over and twisted it in several places.

And just like that, another 'custom mauser' was birthed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend done this. I made an expanding collet sort of too and put fine teeth on it with an 18 tooth per inch checking file. Told him put it in the case and tighten to expand it and knock out the case and assembly with a cleaning rod. Viola!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:

My 2 cents
J Wisner

The idiot should have measured the OD of the case and uised a tap smaller than that.

Kind of a no brainer I'd think.....but I know a lot of "no brainers", they can be fun to watch!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have excessive headspace......

Or firing #97 on that case Wink tu2

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All types of idiots do own, and try to work on, guns. At least around here they do. Often with negative results. I have trained most of them, not to F with it; bring it to me intact; not all the parts loose in a box with some of them heated up and bent, or twisted. Etc.
Here's one; last month; "My bolt was a bit tight in my Mauser so I took two propane torches and heated it up and twisted it a little; it didn't work so I twisted and beat on it more". He heated the thing cherry red all over and twisted it in several places. It was assisted and witnessed by someone who knew better but helped anyway. I sold him a new receiver.
I should write a book on it. No time. I waste enough time here on AR.

This is true of a lot of things in life.

I was chatting yesterday with a friend I have had since 3rd grade; he drives an 18 wheeler, and was talking about how milk sloshes around in the tank because it can't have baffles or compartments. He then said, "It is a bit tricky when you are driving in snow..."

We all know how to drive, but unless we drive an 18 wheeler we aren't likely to be able to keep one out of the ditch, to say nothing of being able to back it up to a loading dock.

Same logic applies to gunsmithing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Like the man said, "Just because I have a garage, doesn't make me a car."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ:
I used to haul heavy equipment over the road.
Pumps failed on a 11,000gal water wagon about
half full. Instead of pulling the plug,
they shipped it on my rig from Kans to
Cal.

I couldn't get under it loaded to access
the drain plug. Took my pistol and shot
about 20 holes thru it they could weld a
small patch over it. Owner sure was pissed
about the freight bill for all that water.
Happy I tried to get it drained. "no problem
with the bullet holes, we can patch those
easy".

That damned thing would rock around for
ten minutes after I parked just from the
water sloshing around.

A few years after that I operated one on
a construction job. Sure enjoyed that!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
AZ:
I used to haul heavy equipment over the road.
Pumps failed on a 11,000gal water wagon about
half full. Instead of pulling the plug,
they shipped it on my rig from Kans to
Cal.

I couldn't get under it loaded to access
the drain plug. Took my pistol and shot
about 20 holes thru it they could weld a
small patch over it. Owner sure was pissed
about the freight bill for all that water.
Happy I tried to get it drained. "no problem
with the bullet holes, we can patch those
easy".

That damned thing would rock around for
ten minutes after I parked just from the
water sloshing around.

A few years after that I operated one on
a construction job. Sure enjoyed that!

George

I have another friend who drives a truck (or as they say "who drives truck"); he is married to the woman who does MsAZWs pedicures and we have become friends. He and my pal have the same vital attribute: they tolerate dickheads on the road without even breaking a sweat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote