Find
Notify
Tools

Vise jaws
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
25 years after rescuing it from my in-laws basement, I finally got around to mounting an old Charles Parker (Meriden, CT!) machinists vise with 4" jaws on a bench.

I'd like to be able to use it to hold a rifle barrel for either installing an AR-15 barrel or just working on a bolt-action rifle.

Anyone have recommendations for vise jaws that would be satisfactory? I'm looking at the "Magnetic channeled soft jaws" sold by Brownell's but thought I might see if anyone else had advice.

Thanks!
Jeff

p.s. And, of course, feel free to comment on the vise's "patina"! What can I say - it sat in a basement for years before I got it; my best guess is that it belonged to my wife's grandfather, born around 1890.

Posts: 723 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used these. As well as assorted pieces of leather, cork, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-B...ywords=vise+jaw+pads

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If it is to be dedicated to holding barrels, could you remove the metal jaw inserts completely and replace them with some pieces of hardwood? You could have a channel drilled across the faces about 2/3rds the way down and then still have a bit of flat wood area for clamping flat pieces.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
P.S. Nice looking vise!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
Mark and Austin Hunter,
Thanks for the quick replies! I will look at the Bessey vise jaws. I might be able to remove the metal jaw inserts - I haven't tried yet, but given the rust on the rest of the vise, I have been a little leery of trying to take it apart further.
Jeff
p.s. It is a nice looking vise - and quite likely it will be as close as I get to "owning a Parker" Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had 3 old vises rescued from the scrap pile because they were worn out. Since they were the same make and model we stripped them and laid out all the parts on the welding bench. Best parts went in one, next best parts in #2 and basically the worst parts went in #3. That was over twenty years ago. Far as I know they are still in use. I have an old bench vise that was given to me. Don't know the make or model. Stripped it down cleaned off the years of junk,grit and grime relubricated it and gave it a fresh coat of paint. That was even longer ago. A good vise today is worth its weight in gold (well almost) and brobably better made than a lot of the ones available today. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out these: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Vis...N9TTA/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made mine, they are some hardwood that I had laying around (Part of an old kitchen drawer) that I cut to size then put some leather on the face. They work really well and do not mar wood or metal.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got several sets of wood inserts like the ones Brad Hinn pictured. Easy to make out of a scrap 1x4. I've used leather but I picked up a couple of sheets of 1/4" cork at an estate sale that works even better. Hobby stores carry cork sheets.

Felt works well too. An old cowboy hat is a good source of thick felt.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use blocks made from plywood for most holding. For barrels I use lead blocks. When holding stocks I put a heavy towel in the wood blocks.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use soft lead..You can buy it to fit from a plumbing supply house as a rule..I prefer it to wood or leather, same in my barrel vise..although I have leather faced hardwood also, but leather and wood in time will gather up grit etc that can damage metal or wood or so I'm told.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Potter had us made the cork-faced plywood inserts for his double guns class at Trinidad. Very useful.

We also took sheet copper and bent/hammered it back over the jaw to hang inside as a softer insert.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After seeing one at Trindad, I made a mold for casting lead vise jaws. Two pieces of angle iron, weld in some square stock as spacers. I think my spacers were made out of 1/4" key stock. You can make them as thick or thin as you want. Mine are adjustable for width. Weld the spacers on one piece of angle leaving an end open, then weld that end on the other piece to close it up. It helps to heat them with a propane torch before use.

You end up with a piece of lead angle. Put a pair in the vise, then beat the top down against the top of the vice. Custom fit. When they get too beat up to use anymore, throw them in the lead scrap bucket until the next casting session.

I'd post some photos, but I'm not very good at that. It's not hard to figure out if you lay it out and look at it.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use these for many different things -- even though they are labled as "1911 Jaws". http://www.brownells.com/gunsm...se-jaws-prod921.aspx

Also use these for general purpose work:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsm...se-jaws-prod923.aspx

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote