New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luster blue vs Stainless steel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I asked this question in the Custom Gun section but got allot of contradictory and unrelated answers. Considering a custom rifle and was curious to the actual durability of these two finishes. Which one is more durable?

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll say stainless because it is the metal. Bluing is an addition. Scratch it and you're looking at white metal.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't hear much on here either, because the Eletists actually believe Blue Steel NEVER Rusts! rotflmo animal rotflmo

The only real problem with that idea is when posts like the following occasionally happen:

Rust.

More Rust.

Even more Rust.

Still more Rust.

How `bout some Rust???

Even Stainless will Rust, but it takes a good bit longer and allows you a bit of time to get the job done when you come dragging a Deer in during a rain.

Yes, Blue Steel has actually been known to Rust!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certainly no metallurgist but I do know that even the stainless steel used in guns will rust a little if left untended but won't corode to the extent that white chrome-molley will. SS barrels seem easier to remove copper fouling in my experience but have heard (no real hands-on testing) that SS barrels will sometimes fail if subjected to extreme cold conditions when fired. I prefer the look of a high luster blue finish but like the fact of not having to pay to have the gun reblued when replacing a defunct barrel. It is really a matter of preference.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best solution of all is a CrMo barrel with QPQ treatment (inside and outside) - a nitride finish which makes it matte black and leaves a very hard and scrathresistant surface. In addition it will make a CrMo barrel much more corrosionproof than the SS used for gunbarrels....

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone QPQ finish rifles in the US?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The reason Stainless rusts over time is due to two things.
One is how the part was machined and handled after machining. What happens is tiny pieces of carbon steel get imbedded in the surface of the stainless steel and it is the particles that rust.

The second thing is just pure neglect. Stainless itself will rust but it will take a very long time and in a very wet or humid environment.
But it will never rust like 4140 will. It will never grow a layer of red dust. It will most likely just be little dots or tiny spots.

You could send the barrel to a shop that pasivates stainless. this process etches the steel and leaves behind clean stainless. It is not electropolishing and will not remove a noticeable or measurable amount of steel.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Joel Kendrick. joelkndrck@@aol.com. Joel developed the QPQ process for firearm barrels. The main thing it does is greatly increases the barrel life.
This is a poor pic of my stainless BR barrel. I should have wiped it down.

Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Finlander:
I asked this question in the Custom Gun section but got allot of contradictory and unrelated answers. Considering a custom rifle and was curious to the actual durability of these two finishes. Which one is more durable?

Well congratulations to Homebrewer and Hot Core for actually reading and comprehending the OP's original question. "Luster Blue" is probably the least durable of the blues; easily marred or rubbed off. It is a hot blue for carbon steel that converts the surface to black oxide (magnatite). The high polish given the steel prior to bluing is the source of the lustre. It gives the steel only marginal rust resistance. You can enjoy it's appearance much longer by coating it with a ceramic clear coat product used on autos.

Stainless has no finish as Homebrewer pointed out, therefore you cannot wear it off. It is a steel alloy containing, among other elements, nickel and chromium; which imparts hardness and high resistance to oxidation. Hence the name "stainless".

Posts: 3704 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote