THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Springfield XD rusted slide, QPQ vs. ionbond or what?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield XD rusted slide, QPQ vs. ionbond or what?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

I've got a buddy who's CC gun rusted up on him. it's a springfield in 40 that he keeps in a leather in the waist band holster. I guess he was carrying it on a hot day when he got real sweaty and was surprised at the end of the day to see it rusted all over the slide. I gotta say, I was surprised as hell too. So I have two questions.

1. is the finish the same on springfields as glocks? would a glock have rusted this way? (just curious, as I've long thought of getting a 40 and it would be between the glock and the XD)

2. which direction should I point him for refinishing it? the QPQ stuff of maybe the new ionbond being discussed here? there's a company called springer that does ionbond on handguns and their pricing doesn't seem crazy. Is there a better route than either of those?

thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would send the gun back to Springfield. There has to be something wrong with the finish. I have carried my parkarized GI 1911 while sweating, swimming (don't ask!), in the rain, snow, almost a ny climate you can imagine and have never had it rust in a day. The XD finish is supposed to be much tougher than parkarizing. I have found SA to be easy to work with.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of ionbonded bolts, and one barrel on ARs. They are hard as heck, and seem to be pretty much corrosion proof.

I would call Joel Kendrick at the QPQ outfit. If you need the number PM me and I will find it in "the pile", or ask Butch Lambert.

BTW, the Springfield XD/Croation handguns have finally changed my opinion of plastic framed pistols to the positive view. Sprinfield has been very easy to work with on a couple of occasions for me. Do not get too near your friend; he must be putting out some awfully acidic sweat.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've forwarded all this advice to him. I definitely won't let him handle my guns, my stepfather and I have talked before about people that had poison skin.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Dang Red, I carry my M&P every day in a leather holster and it's just as hot down here as Fresno. That guy must have acid for sweat.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forget the exact manufacture dates but springfield changed the finish on the XDs I believe it was early 2006. They had rusting issues with the original finish. They then changed to a finish that is supposedly the same as glocks just a different name on the finish. I waited on getting my XD9 until the new finish and have no problems. I would call springfield if it is the first generation finish they should refinish in to charge.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote