New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pitted Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a severly pitted received be repaired and is it worth the effort?

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends, and it depends. How about a photo or better description of the pitting?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A severly pitted action is almost never worth working with, especially when it's not that hard to find one that isn't pitted, at least in the case of most Mauser variants. That being said, if you just want a cheap rifle, pits can be filled with epoxy or Bondo, and the rifle painted to cover up the pits.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depending on what you expect the finished product to look like, if the action is still good a coarse beadblast will somewhat camouflage some pitting

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
depends on the action...
if they are smallish, a grind may take care of it

if they have to be welded, then the action will probably need heat treat, as well..

unless the welder REALLY knows what they are doing, you can have spots that blue out differently .. like, for example, the clading on the tig filler rod has to be ground off first

if its a generic mauser 98, just get another one ...

if its something special, for whatever reason, you might consider it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38628 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The pits can be filled with Lauer Dura-Fill, then the action finished with Dura-Coat. This is a 12-33 action that was bead-blasted, then the numerous pits filled with Dura-Fill. Some pits required several applications of Dura-Fill to bring them flush with the action. After each application, the Dura-Fill was sanded flush with the action. It was finished in Dura-Coat Aug Gray color. Doesn't look to bad for a truck gun. The finish has stayed intact for 5 years and around 300 rounds of 30-06.

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A few years back I made the mistake of storeing my Ruger #3 .219 Wasp in a gun case had some moisture trapped in the sponge inserts. The exterior of the action was pitted but the inside parts were fine because they were oiled. After light sanding I could see that reblueing would not look good. I sent the barrelled action to EABCO in Minn. for their French Gray finish on the action. It won't win any beauty contests but its fine for P-dog shooting.

Dave

Posts: 18 | Location: N. Central Indiana | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

what's up with the finish on that stock? it looks pebbled, is that for grip?

Without pictures its hard to say. if it was minor pitting, and was on a 98 mil mauser, I wouldn't worry anyways since I'd be having it surface ground and heat treated anyways.

pitting, to some degree, below the stock line is pretty common and not of concern usually.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:

what's up with the finish on that stock? it looks pebbled, is that for grip?

pitting, to some degree, below the stock line is pretty common and not of concern usually.

Red

I believe that stock is one of the woodgrain synthetics that was produced about 15 or 20 years ago.

As to below the woodline pitting, one of my many character flaws is that I can't cope with any pitting on an action. I am weird that way.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. This is the offending action.

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ca_reloader:
Can a severly pitted received be repaired and is it worth the effort?
There are actually people on this Board who "claim" Blue Steel NEVER RUSTS nor PITS! So, they must believe that Action was intentionally made like that. Pitiful!

From my perspective, it is Junk and not to be trusted for any amount of Pressure. If you see a Gun Buy-Back Program, perhaps you could rip their heads off with it.

I seriously doubt any of the above responders ever thought it would be in that condition.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote