Find
Notify
Tools

options for rust in shotgun barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents
As I today got the Dewey stuff for my 12ga and started to work it in the barrels, I suddenly realised that it was a lot of rust that I removed from underneath the powder residue.
It is pitted inside.

The thought that stroke me was if I could rebore it and remove the rust at the same time the chokes are opened up to 1/2 and 1/4 to allow Steel shots to be used. If that is an option, then I will do it.

If the rust is too deep for that approach, what else can be done to save the gun?

New barrels?
Convert to a low pressure double rifle?

Its a FN hammerless from around 1920 and it has been in the family since then. It has more nostalgical value than the actual value in money.

Suggestions are welcome

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is probably just fine, especially if you use shells with a palstic shot cup. Of course, this is supposing you are using the proper ammunition. If you are, then you would likely be fine for anothe r80 years. But if you have to ask what is the proper ammunition, there is a 99.99% chance you are using the wrong thing. Almost any current US made shell is too high pressure for the gun.

Would take too long to go into here, so check out this site (dedicated to older shotguns):

doublegunshop.com

FIrst, read the FAQ so you can ask good questions. After reading these, get the answers for your gun, take some pictures, and post all remaining questions on the BBS.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw you are in Sweden-still need to be sure the shells are correct, but a higher chance of finding them in a store over there. At least the sporting stores in Finland I have been in had them. Don't remeber from the Swedish stores, as I think I only have been in one.

Just move over to Suomi and your gun will be fine, the sun will be shining, and the birds will be singing! Wink

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote