One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He won't.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something?

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Did I miss something?

You did.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...631039142#2631039142

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read through the referenced thread. That's a shame. Warts and all, I will miss him. He lent a unique and often lively perspective, whether you always agreed or not.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
I read through the referenced thread. That's a shame. Warts and all, I will miss him. He lent a unique and often lively perspective, whether you always agreed or not.

+1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Canadians are angry due to the trade tariffs on toilet paper.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He went through a LOT of trouble and LOT of time,sharing his hard won knowledge that a percentage of forum participants did not appreciate, let alone understand..I don't blame him for just saying the "Hell with it

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Really?, that post is what ticked him off? It was more directed at dpcd than speerchucker.
There are several people on here that impart a great amount of wisdom that is genuinely appreciated and Speerchucker is one of them, however if someone innocently asks a question that doesn't fall into the rigid guidelines of what you guys approve of or if you don't even know what it is you guys light into them and frankly it is disappointing.
You know what I'm talking about Duane as you have lit into me in PM's and on this forum about "light rifles" that you don't approve of...

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
He went through a LOT of trouble and LOT of time,sharing his hard won knowledge that a percentage of forum participants did not appreciate, let alone understand..I don't blame him for just saying the "Hell with it

Yep, but it isn't just on this forum.

The guys with the knowledge that take the time to post real info, tips, tricks, setups and pics of their work eventually get driven off by ones who do none of the above.

You end up with mostly topics like, Where can I get _____ done? or How do I get these lens caps off?

I really miss Satterlee's posts, pics and knowledge.... but he was driven off too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read through the posts too and can't figure out what provoked that response. Pretty mild on this forum, or any other that I visit. He was one reason I kept coming back to AR. I enjoyed his art with the language and knowledge. The guy needs to write a book. He helped me a lot.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry he'll be back in a few years if his pattern hold true. This isn't his first time leaving this forum "forever", he's taken his ball and left before.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Really?, that post is what ticked him off? It was more directed at dpcd than speerchucker.
There are several people on here that impart a great amount of wisdom that is genuinely appreciated and Speerchucker is one of them, however if someone innocently asks a question that doesn't fall into the rigid guidelines of what you guys approve of or if you don't even know what it is you guys light into them and frankly it is disappointing.
You know what I'm talking about Duane as you have lit into me in PM's and on this forum about "light rifles" that you don't approve of...

Yep and maybe just maybe we should have a laugh and practice what we preach?, but there again all fruits and nuts are leaving California and ended up in Colorado screwing up that state too, I see the sensitivity levels there have risen

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's to bad I really liked his posts and found them useful.

If he is lurking come back a lot of us appreciated your posts.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can someone point me to thread being discussed here please?

He was always very kind and helpful, a shame if someone upset him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I will miss him. I've always found his posts to be interesting. Chucker and others have helped out countless forum members. A real loss.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Here Saeed: http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/4321009142

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Damn, my good buddy Spear is AWOL?

I thought I taught him everything I knew about being a crotchety old bastard like me, guess I left out a few procedures. Especially the part about never getting mad or really pissed off, just get even, regardless if it takes you 40 years!!!

On a different tone I have learned a few things from his posts even if he did speak Albertaease.

He will be back after he holes up for a while in the Alberta Rockies and skins a Grizz or two.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Here Saeed: http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/4321009142
Apparently I'm the bad guy here. Blame it on me I will own it.
My comments as I stated previously were directed at dpcd, mostly. I was pointing out a trend in the Gunsmithing forum that is bothersome.
If someone asks a question that doesn't meet approval they are railed not helped, smart ass answer after another and at times it is embarrassing.
Here is the beginning of a list that will get you NO help on this forum but you will be assured of a demeaning smart ass answer:
Ceramic coatings or any other firearm coating other than blue
Lightweight rifles
Synthetic stocks or any other material other than wood and checkered
Any short fat cartridge like the WSM's.
The list goes on an on.

The knowledge base here is phenomenal and I really appreciate when the people with the knowledge share it and Speerchucker is one of those but no one has to look down there nose at everyone while they are doing it I had no idea his skin was so thin that my post would turn him away, again it wasn't directed at him.

Now pile on it is my fault.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's a good list.
I always thought that humor, laced with good natured wit and sarcasm, was funny and that everyone would laugh at it and move on to the real meat of an issue. And Speer and I would banter back and forth on such topics' merits as we saw them. Nothing personal was ever intended, I assure you, because we don't even know most of you. Like Don Rickles who called everyone a Hockey Puck, it was funny, not malicious.
Remember, that this stuff, for the most part, is a hobby and there are lots of differing opinions, all of which are, or should be, free to be expressed here, in varying levels of seriousness.
I, for one, am sorry he is not posting. For now.
Disclaimer; this is not directed at anyone, in case anyone thinks it is. I definitely do not remember any of it 2 minutes after.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dpcd I have always looked at you and Speerchucker as a couple of the "good guys," and have learned a lot from both of you. A lot of useful information and results of some hard won long -term practical experience for which there really isn't any substitute. I see you two as kind of "anchor points" here. A sort of Frick and Frack maybe? The curmudgeon stuff doesn't hurt a bit....

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the man was - is - a wealth of knowledge always willing to share and help with a great sense of humor it is sad to see him leave and i hope he will soon return not having a sense of humor must be a terrible thing to live with for if life is to be enjoyed one has to laugh at it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It’s not Speerchucker that has no sense of humor. And if you guys think this is bad you need to roll back the clock a decade when Malm and a few others were here, I’ve had the honor of going back and forth with a few really smart arse smart guys, and it’s a little ironic that those same guys were given hell about some of their posts yet when someone posted that they had passed away all the praise in the world comes flowing out. The point is everyone needs to lighten the hell up. And if you don’t look me what’s posted no one forced you to read it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you guys think this is bad you need to roll back the clock a decade when Malm and a few others were here, I’ve had the honor of going back and forth

If you think that was bad just watch a bear spray thread.

Some get done right nasty when you challenge long held myths and old wife's tales.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
That’s how I see it. It’s a shame. Doesn’t sound like he’ll reconsider, but I hope he does. As for the snappy repartee, I,ll miss that too.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

Posts: 1029 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. I always enjoyed his wit, attitude and the gunsmithing knowledge he shared.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't pay to be too sensitive. I spent 40 years in firehouses and the easily offended guys didn't make out very well. It's better to roll with the punch and get even when the opportunity comes. And it will. It also should be remembered that this stuff is not that important in the big scheme of things.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wwgreener:
It doesn't pay to be too sensitive. I spent 40 years in firehouses and the easily offended guys didn't make out very well. It's better to roll with the punch and get even when the opportunity comes. And it will. It also should be remembered that this stuff is not that important in the big scheme of things.

This is the best answer.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I had no idea his skin was so thin that my post would turn him away, again it wasn't directed at him.

It's the thickness of your skin (and a few others)that was the problem.

Folks ask a question on an open forum and expect to have all the accomplished gurus reinforce their preconceived notions. I have bit my tongue(fingertips) on so many posts when someone asks "what do you think" knowing an honest reply that I would give would not be considered good business practice. I've considered logging in under an alias just to be brutally honest, but I'm not sure those that own and run the site would appreciate it.

Hope to see speerchucker back. He had info to give that was worth taking.

His take on hydro dipping was spot on if you take the time to read ALL of it and not melt at the slightest hint of rejection.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I used to come here and post pictures of a cool mill set up, edm machines burning....micro TiG welding....CNC mills doing their thing, jigs fixtures ect

I decided that there were far more "cool kids" here then I had time for

Like Snellstom said......you can always get a couple jackass answeres here if the "blue and wood" crew don't like your question

Throw in the same crew if you want to chamber an exotic over a 9.3

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

9.3 is exotic in the US.

There's a reason those that work on guns full time have strong opinions when it comes to the latest greatest fad.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:

9.3 is exotic in the US.

There's a reason those that work on guns full time have strong opinions when it comes to the latest greatest fad.

Lay it on me.....or is your responce just another "same ol same ol" responce that has gotton common here?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It's a bit sad to hear Speerchucker has chucked it in. I'm amazed he ever had time to impart such wisdom and wit on such a regular basis here.

I guess his clients will get their work done quicker, at least.

Posts: 5020 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like Snellstom said......you can always get a couple jackass answeres here if the "blue and wood" crew don't like your question

I'm really not trying to pick a fight with you Ted. From my world, as I stated above, it's my belief that problem arises when there are those that don't like the answers given to questions.

Specific example is speerchuckers response about hydro dipping. It's a fad in the gun world and many are jumping on the band wagon trying to cash in using rattle can methods that will not hold up. Those that use the best methods and products will bring along a price tag to boot. In the end it's just paint.

In another life I sold truck loads of chrome valve covers, holley double pumpers, edelbrock manifolds, cragar SS, flame kits, etc. Too bad those classic cars would be worth much more today if left alone. Does that mean it wasn't cool to drive around with airshocks, cragar SS wheels sporting N-50s with flames behind the front wheels? It was cool for a short amount of time. But it was just a fad.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't care if hydro dipping is a fad in your eyes.....seems I have a shotgun in Mossy Oak that is over 20 years old.....hydro dipped

If a member has a question he or she is looking for help.....not dicks

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care if hydro dipping is a fad in your eyes.....seems I have a shotgun in Mossy Oak that is over 20 years old.....hydro dipped

If a member has a question he or she is looking for help.....not dicks

The Hydrodipping thread only went south after Snellstorm got offended. Reading spearchuckers posts I don't see anything out of the norm, He expressed his opinion, he defended the process if done by a proper shop, but also warned this stuff was being sold as the new Mullet hair do with a DIY barber kit. I think he was tired of the fast buck crowd. I don't think he was disliking of the process as a product or feature but just in who was try to market it.

Maybe this is why i left for a good long while, Got tired of the bickering.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I did not see anything in that thread that would cause anyone to be so upset.

Especially taking into account this is the Internet.

If one does not develop a skin that would shame rhino, one should never participate.

I wish him the best of luck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I read Snellstroms post and I quoted him

I also added a +1 in that same thread as I agree with his post

His post was not directed at Spearchucker but at dpcd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well as SC posted in his farewell post, the emails and PMs were a factor too.

Only him and the Admins I guess know what that was about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing with guys coming and going because the get their feelings hurt. However, it’s best to stay out of the Crater unless you have double thick rhino skin and a good sense of humor....

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote