New
Find
Notify
Tools

speerchucker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thread didn't seem so bad, but could have hit at a bad time and became the "last straw" - the one that broke the camel's back.

Too bad he has left because he had, and shared, knowledge and expertise that 99% of us could not begin to offer...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Well as SC posted in his farewell post, the emails and PMs were a factor too.

Only him and the Admins I guess know what that was about.

Too many questions to answer. You cannot make money in a gun shop if you spend hours on the computer answering PM's and email.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Come home Speerchucker, I like sarcastic, ornery old buggers and fully intend to be one myself one day.

You wouldn't leave me without a positive role model in my life, would you? Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Really?, that post is what ticked him off? It was more directed at dpcd than speerchucker.
There are several people on here that impart a great amount of wisdom that is genuinely appreciated and Speerchucker is one of them, however if someone innocently asks a question that doesn't fall into the rigid guidelines of what you guys approve of or if you don't even know what it is you guys light into them and frankly it is disappointing.
You know what I'm talking about Duane as you have lit into me in PM's and on this forum about "light rifles" that you don't approve of...

Yep and maybe just maybe we should have a laugh and practice what we preach?, but there again all fruits and nuts are leaving California and ended up in Colorado screwing up that state too, I see the sensitivity levels there have risen

I SECOND THAT!!!

I pretty much agree with the post that PO’d Mr. Chucker. However, I’ve decided that what folks say from behind their computer, million miles away really doesn’t matter. I prefer kindness and gentile speech, but it’s not my place, and a complete waist of time to try and bend other folks to my way of thinking. I am more than willing to put up with cranky, crabby, smartass, totally irrelevant, irreverent, and even insulting comments on the internet. I just try to remember that I have a couple of 2”x12”x6’s, sticking out of my eyes, and it’s all good. Everyone can be an ass sometimes (Speerchucker more than most, but I still like him). Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I prefer kindness and gentile speech, but it’s not my place, and a complete waist of time to try and bend other folks to my way of thinking. I am more than willing to put up with cranky, crabby, smartass, totally irrelevant, irreverent, and even insulting comments on the internet.

That explains why you still talk to me! Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I prefer kindness and gentile speech, but it’s not my place, and a complete waist of time to try and bend other folks to my way of thinking. I am more than willing to put up with cranky, crabby, smartass, totally irrelevant, irreverent, and even insulting comments on the internet.

That explains why you still talk to me! Big Grin

That and your sig line gif. Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
SC's attitude comes with age. Can't blame him one bit. Free advice does cost in time spent and 'earning hours' lost. My non gun business has no where near his no-profit time spent. But, I live it everyday.
Hope the ol' bastard tu2 gets caught up soon. I enjoyed the information and the "way out there" humor.
He'll be back.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Yep and maybe just maybe we should have a laugh and practice what we preach?, but there again all fruits and nuts are leaving California and ended up in Colorado screwing up that state too, I see the sensitivity levels there have risen

And Tejas too. You're welcome. Their governors were over here poaching jobs and got the wrong ones. Not my bad.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later, everyone will want to take a break from one or more internet forums (forae?). In some cases it may be due to some perceived offence, annoyance at other members, or the sudden realization that time spent on an internet forum might be better spent watching re-runs of Rocky and Bullwinkle on Netflix.
I think there are a few tenets one must embrace in order to do well with internet interaction:
He must accept that everyone knows something he does not.
He must accept that not everyone will agree with him.
He must accept that he will sometimes be wrong and will be criticized for it.
He must accept that some people are simply assholes and some others will see him as fitting into that category.
He must be willing to accept that, in the grand scheme of things, he is probably no big deal.
I first met Rod about thirty years ago and must admit, I like him in person more than I like his internet persona. Still, I'm a pretty tolerant guy so I can accept both.
I have often taken breaks from various sites just because I have seen nothing new for months but usually, it's just because I have realized there is real life elsewhere. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I hope Speer comes back. I certainly appreciate the insight
He posted for us all to learn from.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. He was one heck of an asset!

I loved his sense of humor as well.

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I hope Speer comes back. I certainly appreciate the insight
He posted for us all to learn from.

+1 and them some.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I sure hope he does come back, I don't think he ever turned down anyone if they asked him a question, I thoroughly appreciate all the guys here like him that will share knowledge, his knowledge and expertise will be missed and he seemed like a great guy.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well he used to post over at Practical Machinist, but left in 2013 after being harassed as I recall.

Used to post at Home Gunsmith, but hasn't in about a year.

Based on that, he won't be coming back. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has put a substantial amount of videos on Youtube, search for Rod Henrickson.

Posts: 25 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 08 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well he used to post over at Practical Machinist, but left in 2013 after being harassed as I recall.

Used to post at Home Gunsmith, but hasn't in about a year.

Based on that, he won't be coming back. Frowner

Love the chuckers posts, but starting to see a pattern here...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the pattern is the guys with the knowledge, the skills, that take the time to share their knowledge get driven off by those that don't have any.

It is what I have observed in every forum I have joined.
Most forums have billion members, only a handful post and just a sprinkling of those post anything like a show and tell.

This is a gunsmithing forum, how many actually post info and pics of their gunsmithing work?
Few, most posts are about who to take their gun work to, or showing the work their gunsmith did.

Sounds like SC's big issue was the PMs and emails.
I am guessing he got tired of being considered a free, on staff consultant. LOL

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the pattern is the guys with the knowledge, the skills, that take the time to share their knowledge get driven off by those that don't have any.

It is what I have observed in every forum I have joined.
Most forums have billion members, only a handful post and just a sprinkling of those post anything like a show and tell.

This is a gunsmithing forum, how many actually post info and pics of their gunsmithing work?
Few, most posts are about who to take their gun work to, or showing the work their gunsmith did.

I’d agree especially with your first statement. A poster with decades of empirical evidence is confronted by someone with a single bit of anecdotal evidence - and an attitude.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

I’d agree especially with your first statement. A poster with decades of empirical evidence is confronted by someone with a single bit of anecdotal evidence - and an attitude.[/QUOTE]

Not on this board but an another board . I'm bombarded with PM's and Email's asking for free advice or near free work, And yet i'm labeled and Arsehole because I reply with a firm quote of how much it will cost them to answer the question.

We are here to share but some are in business too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, seems as we have some ass's on this forum. I've known Rod for several years and he is a good guy.
The part that I've enjoyed is the true craftsmen on this forum respected him.
Some of these post have helped me form opinions on others.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Yeah, seems as we have some ass's on this forum. I've known Rod for several years and he is a good guy.
The part that I've enjoyed is the true craftsmen on this forum respected him.
Some of these post have helped me form opinions on others.

Good point.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, nothing more...

Folks who are professionals are under no obligation to teach all of us amateurs the tricks they use to make a living. Some, like myself, come to learn. Others come to teach. Some might just be sharing because the number of us firearm enthusiasts isn't necessarily growing.

Take the good, excuse the bad. Learn to appreciate quirky humor. Honest disagreements can and should be civil.

Controversy and irrationality are best confined to the AR Political crater.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:

Others come to teach. Some might just be sharing because the number of us firearm enthusiasts isn't necessarily growing.

That's exactly right. Just like the machine tool industry the gunsmith profession missed an entire generation. Mainly due to pressure on students to seek a 4 yr degree. Smith's now are in the 25-40 yr old sector or the 60-80+ yr old sector in general. Exceptions of course. Those of us who have knowledge of how to repair old/obsolete guns are dwindling. The apprentice system is virtually non-existent. There is a high chance much of the knowledge will be lost in the next ten years. Many feel compelled to pass it on at this point. Some do not.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad. Very sad. For a hobbiest like me I come here to learn. We are diminished. As far as the crater, having been married to a woman for 24 yrs that lied to me every day of our life together, I didnt need anymore of that. Life is more peaceful.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not many smiths post many pics of work here

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Yes, that is the trouble.

But what is a gunsmithing forum (or any hands on, skill and talent as a occupation or hobby forum) w/o pics and worthwhile info?

Just a bunch of guys yakking about how to do it and silly posts.

Satterlee was driven off along with gobs of great pics and info.

SC has been driven off along with gobs of great pics and info.

Drive off Duane and this forum is done.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So True.

I am not a gunsmith, I am not in the business of selling or doing work for others, I just have a lot of machinery and enjoy building rifles for myself.

At one time I posted photos but I have become increasingly reluctant due to complainers.

I have a lot of knowledge tucked away in this old head of mine. Many years of working and managing industrial machine shops. Chambered my first barrel in 1964. Bobster is spot on about missed generations. Biggest problem is I have no one to turn my shop contents over to: The desire to work on precision rifles is rapidly waning.

I have enough tooling and machinery in the shop to rival or surpass most custom gun shops. Now that I am aged at 71 years the big question is what to do with all the "stuff". I would hate to see it go to the junkies to be auctioned off.

What I need is a trust fund baby to purchase my shop tooling and machinery that desires to be a custom rifle builder and is intelligent enough to be one. But this is an oxymoron statement!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
quote:

\
Kinda like my situation only I'm 76.

So True.

I am not a gunsmith, I am not in the business of selling or doing work for others, I just have a lot of machinery and enjoy building rifles for myself.

At one time I posted photos but I have become increasingly reluctant due to complainers.

I have a lot of knowledge tucked away in this old head of mine. Many years of working and managing industrial machine shops. Chambered my first barrel in 1964. Bobster is spot on about missed generations. Biggest problem is I have no one to turn my shop contents over to: The desire to work on precision rifles is rapidly waning.

I have enough tooling and machinery in the shop to rival or surpass most custom gun shops. Now that I am aged at 71 years the big question is what to do with all the "stuff". I would hate to see it go to the junkies to be auctioned off.

What I need is a trust fund baby to purchase my shop tooling and machinery that desires to be a custom rifle builder and is intelligent enough to be one. But this is an oxymoron statement!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Speerchucker,........if you can hear us just key your handset twice and we'll get someone out there to find
You.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Speerchucker,........if you can hear us just key your handset twice and we'll get someone out there to find
You.

After our loss of SC, it ain't right that you should post w/o dropping in a few 'work in progress' pics. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Ironically, there's a current thread on the gunsmith forum at practical machinist lamenting his departure. Pretty much the same theme as here. I'm just a hobbyist, but as an engineer I can usually sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to this sort of stuff. SC is far from chaff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to post fully documented builds of some of the big bores and double rifles I've built for customers but for various reasons I quit doing it on the forums. I still post in other places were I can control the content better, just not on open forums anymore.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
I used to post fully documented builds of some of the big bores and double rifles I've built for customers but for various reasons I quit doing it on the forums. I still post in other places were I can control the content better, just not on open forums anymore.

I am interested in seeing your work, where do you post?

I promise not to tell you how you should have built it, from the comfort of my recliner while drinking a beer. lol

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Some of Colin's best work is here:
Website

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:

I am interested in seeing your work, where do you post?

I promise not to tell you how you should have built it, from the comfort of my recliner while drinking a beer. lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/cstolzer338

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One gunsmith I know, who is in his mid 50's, used to take young 'smiths under his wing. After a couple of years each of them left to form their own business. He did not blame them, but he did stop the practice.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I am not prolific, I have a small following in the circles in which I roam. I would never consider myself more than barely competent next to the people I look up to. I do not post pictures because I am not proud of my finished product. While customers are more than pleased with their rifles, I can never look at them without seeing every little thing that gave me problems during the creation process. I will never make bottom metal as good as many of the people maligned in the forum. I will never be as good as those I look up to, ergo; I will keep my picks and opinions to myself and just enjoy those that do post and inspire me to be better than I am.
Thank you to those who have helped me learn and a big thank you to those willing to brave the shitstorm and continue posting.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speerchucker da man!
Taught so much bout machines
Go read his old posts

Posts: 50 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impingement:
While I am not prolific, I have a small following in the circles in which I roam. I would never consider myself more than barely competent next to the people I look up to. I do not post pictures because I am not proud of my finished product. While customers are more than pleased with their rifles, I can never look at them without seeing every little thing that gave me problems during the creation process. I will never make bottom metal as good as many of the people maligned in the forum. I will never be as good as those I look up to, ergo; I will keep my picks and opinions to myself and just enjoy those that do post and inspire me to be better than I am.
Thank you to those who have helped me learn and a big thank you to those willing to brave the shitstorm and continue posting.

Very well said!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Had a few good laughs with Speerchucker about his thoughts on Sako extractors and a few other threads. He is a good guy. Hopefully he will be back soon, sometimes we need to take a break from the web or a forum.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote