Tools

Montana Rifle Company
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:

If y'all can't see that MRC is trying DAMN HARD to do the right thing here, then you must just want to have something to piss and moan about!

Carry on, Dan....

MKane160

I could not agree more! One difference between a child and an adult is learning to be able to defer gratification without having a tantrum.

I bought two of the charter MRC actions. Both were in fine shape on delivery. For the price, they actually exceeded expectations by a fair margin. Of course, they aren't a D'Arcy Echols, Dale Goens, or David Miller completed rifle. They were a little late too, a few months but so what? When I got the first .404 rifle that Musgave of South Africa built, I had to wait 6 YEARS for it, and had paid a $1000 down up front, too! It was worth the wait. So were (and are) the MRC products.

I suppose the next "bitch" will be that they don't come with a man to seed, mow, and bale the hay while the shooter is off chasing elk......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan@Montana Rifle Co:
Snowwolfe,

I understand your frustration. I did not personally speak with you when you originally had the problems before you shipped it back. But from what I understand from what I was told it sounded exactly like an ejector problem. Did the salesman not offer to send up the ejector and bolt stop free of charge? If not he should have.

Dan

I dealt with Jon who informed me to send the rifle back to MRC. After it was received he contacted me again and asked me to ship dummy rounds to him also which cost me another $6.
Here is the original thread for my postings here:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/705105825

Make a quality product with a good warranty and I'll buy more.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
Dan:

I bought one of your stainless short magnum actions last summer. I stocked it in a McMillian Supergrade and barreled it with a 24", Kreiger #2 taper 308, 5R, 1:10 chambered in 300WSM. With exception to having to work on the safety, I found the action to be very easy to work with. The completed gun shot 180 Grain Federal Fusion factory loads .5 at 100 yards. It has been used on several whitetails and black bears this past year. I have wanted to buy several more of your actions to build rifles for customers. I especially would like to have some Mini actions. I wish you great success in getting your manufacturing problem under control.

Have you considered contacting Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge. They are doing bottom metal for a lot of folks and their work is very reasonable and top notch. He knows the gun business.
Laongshot

Longshot,

I'm glad that your rifle is doing so well for you, that's exactly what we (and by we I mean myself and Jon) like to hear.
Dave Kiff is a great guy. I've sat on the phone with him for 20 minutes or more on a lot of occasions just tapping his knowledge. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the industry. But our company just purchased a HAAS VF-1 machining center and they are slowly working up the proper programming and fixtures to do all the machined parts on our action in house. We've already begun manufacturing our own shrouds, they just finished doing a batch of shroud locks and next will be the trigger bows.
Thanks for your support Longshot.

Dan

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I love my left handed short action.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
For what its worth and if some one is counting I just E mailed Jon to add my name ofr 1 PH and ! mini sounds like a good deal to me And Thanks Vapodog the action you sold me is great.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thanks obwhan...

dan, what is the official right hand count at???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks an awful lot to Dan for filling us in on progress at MRC. These days with M70s no longer made, Charles Daly Mausers no longer sold, Dakota under Chapter 11, we need an action manufacturer more than ever. MRC has always delivered good quality for a very reasonable price. No, not "perfect" quality, but what can you expect at 4-500$?? With a bit of work, an M1999 can be made into a fine rifle.

To the person who had the wrong ejector installed in his action. This is obviously unfortunate, but in defense of MRC, all action makers will ship a dud from time to time, it even happens for actions sold at a totally different price level than the M1999 - the Dakota is one example. Most of us will not get to experience this, but speak to gun builders who go through enough actions, and they'll confirm that all action manufacturers manage to produce a problem from time to time.

At least MRC stood by their product, and got the problem sorted out.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

A Hass VF-1 is a great little machine. I use a Hass VF-2 with Gibbs Cam in my shop. I am not interested in doing your work. But with a good programmer/machinest, you should be able to have programs in place and spitting actions out of the mill, lathe, surface grinder and cylindrical grinder in a week or less. I made a clone of a Remington 700 in machining class, It took about 6 hours to draw up the product, tool it out and I was cutting in solid works in a matter of hours. After writing the code and tooling it out it actually took longer to set up than do the machining. CNC is a great thing. I plan to retire from my real job in a couple of years. It is my intent to begin manufacturing my own actions in my shop. They will not be investment cast they will be CNC machined from single billets of stainless. I have some ideas in mind. I have learned a great deal having trued and timed almost every comerecial action made. I know the pains you have gone through. It is hard to get contractors to see and make things to your specs. It cost tons of money to tool up and do the work yourself.
May god speed be with you..
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
dan,

since you have a good number already, can you decide a manufacturing date for the right hand p.h. actions and announce it?

since you need only about 35 more actions to go if you announce a manufacture date the rest will be gobbled up quick by the guys who think it is going to be manufactured a year or two from now. it will stimulate sales and exite us who have them on order and we can start saving up for the actions themselves or the other project building expenses. "create buzz and they will come (buy)"

it takes some lead time on your part too to tool up and get things going. it will be good for everyone to see some movement here.

may i suggest start in the manufacturing them soon so we can justify it as a christmas present to ourselves to have some cover for those with average incomes and wives Wink

thanks.

Boomstick, I wish I could but my hands are absolutely tied on this. It's taken about 2 years, maybe more to get to 365 sold so who knows how long it will take to get another 35. I would really be sticking my neck out there if I gave a concrete date of production. The final say as everyone knows is not mine or Jon's, it's the owners and when he gives the go ahead I'll announce it.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
thanks obwhan...

dan, what is the official right hand count at???

Unofficially it is at 365. I haven't gotten any new orders in my basket to add to that total. I'm sure there are a few more but won't know until I get them in my hands

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan:

A Hass VF-1 is a great little machine. I use a Hass VF-2 with Gibbs Cam in my shop. I am not interested in doing your work. But with a good programmer/machinest, you should be able to have programs in place and spitting actions out of the mill, lathe, surface grinder and cylindrical grinder in a week or less. I made a clone of a Remington 700 in machining class, It took about 6 hours to draw up the product, tool it out and I was cutting in solid works in a matter of hours. After writing the code and tooling it out it actually took longer to set up than do the machining. CNC is a great thing. I plan to retire from my real job in a couple of years. It is my intent to begin manufacturing my own actions in my shop. They will not be investment cast they will be CNC machined from single billets of stainless. I have some ideas in mind. I have learned a great deal having trued and timed almost every comerecial action made. I know the pains you have gone through. It is hard to get contractors to see and make things to your specs. It cost tons of money to tool up and do the work yourself.
Longshot

Longshot we've got a great machinist but it's been a while since he has worked on a cnc machining center. He has been making shrouds and they've come out great, he has started work on the shroud locks and they are coming off the machine now. The trigger bows with all the material removal will take a little longer but his memory is already coming back and he'll figure a way to make them much quicker than our previous vendors. As to machining the actions, we have a company that is doing a great job for us and for at least the short term we'll keep them running them. Good luck with your action, I'm sure that with your experience/knowledge it will be a work of art.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan:

Longshot

I, and I am sure others, would not mind seeing a photo or two of the action you made on your HAAS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've said this before on here, but I think these guys are making the best designed and most reasonably priced actions available today. After a little hand work, mine is the smoothest action I own. The triggers are fantastic, gas handling design features second to none, and the fact that they cross with many M70 accessories is a real boon to getting projects done. I wish I could afford more of them.

As for customer service, I'd put MRC up there with Leopold and some of the good mail order houses. You call, you get a knowledgable guy on the other end who genuinely wants to make things right. Dan has spent a ton of time on here answering specific questions for guys. Top notch.

Plug over.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Dan:

Longshot

I, and I am sure others, would not mind seeing a photo or two of the action you made on your HAAS.

22WRF actually we are making parts on our VF-1. The actions and bolts are machined in another shop. For the short time we will keep this as it is as the company that is doing our machining now is doing a fantastic job.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The website says $553.70 for a CM short action.

What does a guy have to do get one for $350?

http://www.montanarifleman.com/shortaction.htm

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
The website says $553.70 for a CM short action.

What does a guy have to do get one for $350?

http://www.montanarifleman.com/shortaction.htm

The $350 price is for their mini action. The short action is for cartridges like the 308 Winchester whereas the mini is for cartridges like the 223 Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan thanks for the posts. A little information can go a long way toward reassuring customers that their concerns are being heard. I appreciated the return call I received about the delivery date of the barreled action I have on order, even though I was not very happy to find out that the best guess was it was still a month out. I have been unable to e-mail your company for some time. They come back as undeliverable after about four days. Thanks again for the information. It makes owning an expensive stock for one of your actions a little easier.

Harry
"Some days the sun doesn't shine and the sky ain't blue" that is what the second barrel is for

DRSS
http://www.twinxblades.com/

Posts: 62 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mathsr:
Dan thanks for the posts. A little information can go a long way toward reassuring customers that their concerns are being heard. I appreciated the return call I received about the delivery date of the barreled action I have on order, even though I was not very happy to find out that the best guess was it was still a month out. I have been unable to e-mail your company for some time. They come back as undeliverable after about four days. Thanks again for the information. It makes owning an expensive stock for one of your actions a little easier.

Harry, Not sure why your emails are bouncing back to you but we have had troubles on our server with some email services such as netscape. It may be in your email service. Our server tells us that it is because of a lot of spam coming from the service.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Dan, Sending you a PM

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
dan...if you have not been following the thread in the big bore board we have been doing a p.h. drive to gobble them up. can you give us the most up to date total to confirm as to amount left. i think by my count we are at 27 but you might have more. thanks!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with the quality of the left and right hand MRC Long Actions. they have made two beautiful 404 Jeffery rifles.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I'm also happy with mine and it too is a 404 Jeffery. Sorry folks no pics just yet.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote