THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    want to build the best stainless 338-06 i can build for $1200 or less

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want to build the best stainless 338-06 i can build for $1200 or less
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
hello all you gun guru's

what is the best 338-06 i can build in stainless for $1200 or less? who do you recomend to build it? also add if you own one.

thanks

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
hello all you gun guru's

what is the best 338-06 i can build in stainless for $1200 or less? who do you recomend to build it? also add if you own one.

thanks

What does "best" mean?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boom stick:
hello all you gun guru's

thanks

What does "best" mean?[/QUOTE

best for me means accurate, durable, not fancy i dont need english xxxx walnut and long lasting. i would use this as a medium to long range rifle although i like to hunt under 200 yards i would like to shoot 400 yards at the bench.

should i just rebarrel or start with the action up. (montana action perhaps) i am not into spending lots of dough, if i can get away with a rebarrel i'll take it, i just want to do it right.

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
weatherby ultralight in 338-06 ... last time i looked at one, it was 980-ish.... might still be some floating around

i nearly put one in layaway

light
rugged
hard hitting (both ends)

but, for practicality, get yourself a savage in 338 winmag, and load it down .. 4-500 bucks

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39629 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would have to run the numbers, but either buy a SS M70 in 30-06 and have someone rebarrel it, or have MRC make you a barreled action in 338-06.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jeffe, just buy the Weatherby and be done with it unless its a project gun you want. In that case for the money I'd buy a MRC barreled action and drop it into a Serengheti pre-finished stock or a Brockman's.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
bs

If it were me I would try to find a Rem. 700 or a possibly a m70 in stainless, .25-06,280, 30-06 etc. $450

Rebarrel by a good smith. $500

Bell and Carlson medalist stock $230

You’ll have to take your time to find the action, and you my never find a stainless m70 for that.
Or the Montana as already stated for about the same money. No parts to sale off on that one though.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a second hand stainless Ruger in .30/06 and rebarrel, smarter still just get a Ruger stainless in .338 win mag and load back a bit to get the .338-06 figures !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a ruger mk II in any of the 06 base cailbers get a good douglas barrel and have smith put it on. I did my 416 taylor on a 338 mkII everything but the scope cost me 900 add the scope and Iam just over 1200. If course it helps to have a freind with a ffl that orders for you at costs.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Vanguard, 338 Hawk, Custom Rifle

ad says around $1800 invested. I also am looking at 338 and most likely go with 338 win.

steve

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If I wanted a good, solid, working 338-06 and wanted to keep the cost down and put the money where it really counts, I'd look for a Model 70 Win-Lite in 30-06 or 270 Win.

The Win-Lite version was built in the 1980s/early '90s with a push-feed action and a factory-supplied McMillan stock. This stock is worth the price of admission all by itself, because the whole rifle can be purchased for about what just the stock would cost from McMillan today.

Once you have the rifle, you can then have the receiver and bolt face squared, the lug seats and lugs lapped into perfect contact, the trigger adjusted and the safety timed, then you can have a good premium barrel installed and chambered to .338-06. All you'll have to do then is have the metal bedded to the stock benchrest-style with machined aluminum pillars and install a scope and scopemounts.

The only additional parts you'll have to buy is the barrel and the scope and mounts, plus of course the skilled labor to put it together.

I see Model 70 Win-Lites second-hand at gunshows on a regular basis, and they remain an excellent buy, and the heck of a solid foundation for a project such as yours.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to say start with a stainless 70 and get a mcmillan stock, sounds like Allen has the perfect solution, go that way on it. post pictures for us.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
that hawk does look tempting but is not quite what i want. i should have mentioned that i like a detachable mag and the new savage weather warrior looks good. i also like 4 or 5 down below. mgun

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
that hawk does look tempting but is not quite what i want. i should have mentioned that i like a detachable mag and the new savage weather warrior looks good. i also like 4 or 5 down below. mgun

The Savage stainless is a very good starting point. I've had four of them and never had a moment to regret it.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 338/06 is on a Model 70 action....

I bought the rifle brand new in the box at Axman's in Missoula Montana for $350.00 just after Elk Season was over... they were just getting rid of stock that had not sold during the season...instead of hanging on to it all year until next season....

The barrel said 270 on it and still does....But never had a 270 round put thru it...

Brought it home and sent it off to a guy up in Eugene, who was 80 something but is one of the last guys alive who worked under Ackley....

Bob West bored it out and chambered it to 338/06 for me for $200.00.....

It shoots minute of angle all day long... I also put the stock on another Model 70 ( that had an awesome wood stock on it, too pretty to take it hunting...) so I put a Boyd's laminate stock on the 338/06 for $65.00 plus a couple of hours finishing it...

I then put Leupold bases on it, and mounted a Leupold 2 x 7 shotgun scope I have since about 1990.. ( it has the heavy cross hairs, and when I got it, it was the only way you could get a Leupold 2 x 7 with a Matt Finish)...That was when you could buy that scope for about $200.00!

So I have $550.00 invested in the rifle without the scope and stock.... less than $300.00 if one counts the stock, scope and mounts....

And the guys who tell ya to just download a 338 Mag, miss the point of the 338/06... Five rounds in the magazine.... the reduction in recoil, using a little less powder ( not all that much in my opinion) and the performance is not that much less in a 338/06...If you handload, the difference in my handloads and Factory 338 Mag ammo is not all that much.. sometimes nil.

A factory load in a 338 Mag might give you about 25 yds of point blank range and foot lbs than a 338/06.... Big deal in my book....

If the 338/06 had come around before the 338 Mag, I bet the Mag would be a whole lot less popular..
If the 35 Whelan had been commericalized earlier, I wonder about the success of the 338 Mag also...

At the same time, I have not really improved upon handloaded 338 Mag ammo over Factory at all....

For the guys that tell ya to buy a Weatherby.... Why buy new when there are a lot of used 338/06 Weatherbys out there.... because there accuracy sucks!

Once you build one, let all the 338 Mag guys tell you the whole " Ya could of had a V8" BS....The 338.06 will never let you down!

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
this post is from sabot...

Posted 06 June 2005 22:51
I have slowly over 2 to 3 years weaned myself off of speed unless it gets me more than 2 to 3 inches less drop at 300 yards sighted in at 200 yards. Using this philosophy the 338-06 operated up to 65,000 psi is better than BOTH the 338 Win Mag and the 300 Win mag. My 180 ballistic tips do 3000 fps and do anything that the 300 Win Mag will do in the field. Heck, 2160 FPE at 300 yards is enough for thin skinned gae. The .338 180 has the same sectional density as the .308 150 but is much tougher.

The Speer 250 GS does 2645 fps with R19 at safe pressures. The 338 Win Mag will do 100 fps more but why would I WANT more?

this with what seafire said is all the reason i need to think this is the best n.a. rifle -FOR ME-

right on seafire!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here's one from another forum. It's not pretty, but it would be very functional and weather resistant.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=501210&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Looks like a solid rifle to me and cheaper than building one yourself.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was right-handed and had seen these guns 27 months ago. I would have saved several thousand dollars...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the guys who tell ya to just download a 338 Mag, miss the point of the 338/06...

Amen! and for many more reasons than you listed. Just wanting one is good enough for me. Sorta like building a well thought out small block that makes great power instead of a medicore big block that's just a tad better than the smally.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote